Enpass Discussion Forum

Windows Hello on Windows Desktop

Arthur Rump

A long, long time ago (I couldn't even find the topic anymore) I asked if you could support logging in into Enpass using Windows Hello on the Desktop application, so it could also be used in the browser extensions (that's how your system works, right?). You replied that the Windows Hello APIs aren't available on the Windows desktop. I recently came across an article on the Windows Dev Center: UWP APIs callable from a classic desktop app. This article mentions that every UWP API which lists the DualApiPartition attribute in the Attributes section is also available for classic desktop apps. The API that's used for Windows Hello (KeyCredentialManager) actually lists this attribute, so it can also be used in classic desktop apps.

As you might have guessed, I would really love Enpass to support this! It would make Enpass exactly what I want my password manager to be.

• 2 months later...

I conducted some further research. To enable access to the CredentialManager API in a WPF application the following snippet should be added to the .csproj file (inside the <Project> node):

<ItemGroup>
    <Reference Include="System.Runtime.WindowsRuntime, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=MSIL">
      <SpecificVersion>False</SpecificVersion>
      <HintPath>$(MSBuildProgramFiles32)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETCore\v4.5\System.Runtime.WindowsRuntime.dll</HintPath>
    </Reference>
    <Reference Include="Windows">
      <HintPath>$(MSBuildProgramFiles32)\Windows Kits\10\UnionMetadata\Facade\Windows.WinMD</HintPath>
    </Reference>
    <Reference Include="Windows.Foundation.FoundationContract">
      <HintPath>$(MSBuildProgramFiles32)\Windows Kits\10\References\Windows.Foundation.FoundationContract\1.0.0.0\Windows.Foundation.FoundationContract.winmd</HintPath>
    </Reference>
    <Reference Include="Windows.Foundation.UniversalApiContract">
      <HintPath>$(MSBuildProgramFiles32)\Windows Kits\10\References\Windows.Foundation.UniversalApiContract\1.0.0.0\Windows.Foundation.UniversalApiContract.winmd</HintPath>
    </Reference>
  </ItemGroup>

With these references, I was able to add Windows Hello to a WPF application. Conversion to a Store-app via the Centennial bridge isn't required in this case.

Hope this helps a bit!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

win32版本的Enpass什么时候能支持Windows Hello功能?
因为我的电脑安装了指纹识别器,我想让Enpass能用上Windows Hello的解锁功能
毕竟每次输入密码是很烦人的事情

When does the Win32 version of Enpass support Windows Hello functionality?
Because my computer has a fingerprint recognizer installed, I want Enpass to use the unlock function of Windows Hello
After all, it's annoying to enter passwords every time.

Edited by NanKe

• 9 months later...