Enpass Discussion Forum

Is Windows Hello usefull?

Gerard

I'm using Windows Surface Pro 4. I can login on de Enpass App using Windows Hello, which is realy quite comfortable and saves me from typing in a long mast password.

But when I need to use the Chrome extension for login in on sites etc, I get the message that I still need to startup de desktop app first ('Please start Enpass desktop app and make sure you have checked "Enable Browser Extension" in Enpass Preferences, before using Enpass Browser Extension'). So I still have to type in my long and save master password. This makes little sense to me.

Is it possible to use the app with Hello login and the extension, without also starting the desktop application? If not: what is the use of the Windows Hello login? 

Hi @Gerard,

Thanks for writing in. I would like to share that currently, the Traditional desktop app can't support Windows Hello due to lack of APIs.

Further, I would like to let you know, in order to use Enpass Browser extension, the main app must be running in the background. The reason is that being an offline password manager, Enpass saves all your database locally on your device, not on any server. Whenever you visit a login page and click Enpass browser extension for auto-filling, then the extension securely connects with Enpass app to fetch and auto-fill the details. For more details please have a look at our user manual link.

You can also start Enpass automatically with every system start by Enabling the option "Autorun on System startup" in Enpass General Settings. For more details please have a look at user manual link.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx for your helpful answer.

My main question is still open, though: when do I use Windows Hello in this process?? It seems very handy, but I still need to type in my password time and again. Maybe I should configure something differently? But what?

TIA Gerard