Enpass Discussion Forum

Copy to clipboard not working any more

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, Garima Singh said:

Hey @webjaros

Sorry for the inconvenience.

The same problem has been resolved few updates back. Could you update the app to the latest version and let us know if you're still encountering the same issue with the app? If the problem persists, please share the device OS version along with Enpass version.

Thanks.

Hey,

thanks for the fast reply. I seems that I have everything up to date. I've attached the screenshots with the currently installed versions.

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 4.45.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 4.45.40 PM.png

4 hours ago, Garima Singh said:

Hey @webjaros

Thanks for writing back.

Could you please try to paste again anything from Enpass to somewhere else after increasing Clipboard Timing from Enpass security settings if you haven't tried it yet. If the problem persists, please let us know the timing you have setup there.

Thanks.

I've changed this setting from 30 to 40 seconds. It did not help.

I restarted the program, it did not help.

I deleted the program and installed it again from the App Store. It did not help.

I have the same issues, and it basically renders the app useless for me now because I used to save a lot of long passwords and typing them out is really a big pain. Other than that the software is great.

I am running version 6.4.2 on Mojave 10.14.6.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 2/1/2021 at 3:04 PM, Pratyush Sharma said:

Hi @PeterPan0815,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

We have forwarded this issue to the team to look into it. Meanwhile, please share the screenshot of the Enpass security setting.

Has there been any progress on this issue..i am continuously facing problems on this feature and the way its happening its really drifting me away from the app's appeal. I have paid a premium and i feel this should be a working feature.

2 minutes ago, Gaurav Gupta said:

Has there been any progress on this issue..i am continuously facing problems on this feature and the way its happening its really drifting me away from the app's appeal. I have paid a premium and i feel this should be a working feature.

To be accurate, the copy to clipboard feature is not working at all with or without security settings on macOS 11+. I verified the clipboard viewer to check the contents of clipboard after firing a copy command and contents are empty

On 2/1/2021 at 3:04 PM, Pratyush Sharma said:

Hi @PeterPan0815,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

We have forwarded this issue to the team to look into it. Meanwhile, please share the screenshot of the Enpass security setting.

Pratyush,

Its been over 6 months, has there been any traction on this so far? I mean, copy to clipboard feature is a key thing to usability of enpass. How is that QA in their regression has not been able to reproduce it? I have been able to reproduce the issue consistently ?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add my 2¢ US here too.

You can see my MacOS & Enpass info & security settings in the attachments.

Copying anything from within Enpass from the Copy Icon to the right of each field, or if in edit mode, DOES get copied to the MacOS clipboard. (see attached)

The problem is, even if the the "Clipboard: Clear Clipboard" Enpass pref is UNCHECKED, it will not be recorded by any of my apps or utilities that do record & store MacOS clipboards: Paste.app, Alfred, Keyboard Maestro, et. al; even if their prefs are set to accept ALL clipboards, even with passwords, etc.

So to be able to copy a password from Enpass and keep a temp copy of it (not to lose it), I have to:

1. Open a text editor
  2. Copy the current password from Enpass to the text editor
  3. Create/update the new password in Enpass
  4. Copy the new password to the clipboard
  5. Go to my text editor & paste the new password to a new line
  6. Then go to the website I'm updating and try to change the password

I do all this because none of my clipboard apps/utilities see anything that Enpass puts in the MacOS clipboard.

Adding Enpass to all System Security & Privacy settings: Accessibility, Input Monitoring, or even Full Dial Access does NOTHING to fix the issue. All of the clipboard apps/utilities have all the proper access set correctly & record every app I use EXCEPT Enpass.

This is still a very annoying bug. I really do hope it is fixed sometime soon. And if the Enpass developers/techs can't reproduce the issue on their own Mac system, you need to connect with all users that have reported the issue and figure out the commonality causing the bug.

PLEASE! Fix this issue ASAP.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Screen Shot 2.jpg

Screen Shot 4.jpg

Screen Shot 5.jpg

I have Big Sur installed and the latest Mac App Store version of Enpass (though I also tried this on the slightly older 6.7.0 beta, too).

I use a different clipboard manager, Flycut (link to the Mac App Store version, 1.9.6.

I had no problems copying anything from Enpass into an unmodified clipboard (with no clipboard manager active at all) and I also had no problems copying anything into Flycut. I tried copying from an item I was editing in Enpass and from a standard login item and note (in display mode).

Flycut has Accessibility permissions, but only that.

I tried this with and without the "clear clipboard content" feature enabled. With it enabled, I didn't have any issues, but the content would disappear from the Mac clipboard (but not Flycut) after the specified amount of time.

I also have another machine with Catalina and Enpass and Flycut and I didn't run into problems.

You mentioned several other programs with clipboard managers, so I tried the ones I could without having to pay for them. I was able to try Paste.app and Keyboard Maestro 9.2.

My tests show that Paste.app doesn't import the clipboard contents from Enpass or 1Password, even after I removed the rule restrictions (but the copy DID appear in the Mac's native clipboard until the clear content time was reached). I was able to get Keyboard Maestro to work (though for some reason I noticed it took like 15-20 seconds for anything I copied to appear in the clipboard. I had to dig through the packaged binary to find the KM helper app and add it to the Accessibility section of the Security preference pane. For some reason, only the main app itself automatically appeared there by default and I wasn't able to copy anything until I added the helper app. 

I couldn't try Alfred because the clipboard features seem to require the Power Pack and I wasn't going to pay for something I don't intend to use.

So to sumarize, for me:

• I was able to copy stuff from the latest version of Enpass (and the beta) successfully both without any clipboard manager enabled. Copying and pasting content worked fine on Big Sur and Catalina with or without the "clear content" feature enabled.
  • With Paste.app I was able to copy and paste stuff using the standard keyboard shortcuts so long as I didn't interact with Paste.app in any way before pasting the content. If I interacted with Paste in any way or if the Mac clipboard was cleared, Paste was unable to paste anything.
  • I was able to get Keyboard Maestro working (with a delay) so long as I added the helper app (located inside the KM app package) to the Accessibility permissions.
  • Flycut works just fine with Enpass.
  • The results above didn't change if I ran them on Catalina instead of Big Sur.

@ButisitArt57 Can try you try shutting down all of your clipboard tools and just try a standard copy and paste again? Keyboard Maestro can be particularly tough to shut down completely, because the helper app doesn't stop if the main app is quit. If you need a clipboard manager, perhaps try Flycast and see if that works for you? I'm not sure if Enpass is marking the clipboard content in a way some clipboard managers don't like, but it sounds like you might want to get the clipboard manager developers involved. Perhaps they can help narrow down the problem you're having.

• Like 2

Hi @ButisitArt57

On macOS, Enpass copies data to clipboard with a flag (org.nspasteboard.TransientType) that the data should not be recorded in pasteboard history due to sensitive nature of data. Only the clipboard managers that are not supporting this flag or configured to ignore this will save data to its history.

• org.nspasteboard.TransientType: This marker’s presence indicates content will be on the pasteboard only momentarily. The pasteboard will either be restored to previous content, or the current content will be replaced within seconds. Data marked transient should not be recorded or displayed in a pasteboard history.

Maybe you should look for some settings in your clipboard manager to control the behaviour for this flag. However, we advice against it as your clipboard history might get stored on disk un-encrypted and defeat the purpose of having a password manager.

Thanks.

Ho @Vinod Kumar,

That pasteboard type makes sense if you have clearing of the clipboard contents turned on, but not if you don't. The pasteboard content won't change if that feature is off.

I think for the fields marked sensitive in Enpass, the type org.nspasteboard.ConcealedType makes better sense. That would stop most clipboard managers from recording that copied data.

For data that is not marked sensitive and if the clear clipboard feature is disabled, then the pasteboard type should be a standard type and not TransientType so that the data gets recorded properly. 

For Flycast you can adjust the pasteboard types not to record, so it is possible to adjust as you see fit, but most clipboard managers don't offer this as an option.

Perhaps a future version of Enpass can include an advanced preference that allows you to adjust the pasteboard types used for different types of data in your vault?

Edited by Discordant
  • Like 1