Enpass Discussion Forum

API or SDK support

FireFart

Hi,

it would be great if you can release either an API on the offline client or a programming SDK to interact with the database to clean up and modify the password entries.

Example use case: Remove all autosubmit properties from all entries which could be easily done with a programming language

I wish that, too :)

But I am thinking about a workaround:

Exporting the Enpass wallet as JSON.

Modify the JSON in any ways. Import the JSON to Enpass.

I didn’t try this so far by my own, because I don’t know if Enpass will update the entries by ID.

@Kashish @Anshu kumar

Can somebody of you describe what happens re-import the exported JSON file?

Will this update the current entries?

Inside every item there is an ID.

With that it would be possible 

If so, that would be a hot topic for a blog post.

With that knowledge everybody can program his own batch script for cleanup, add favicon etc.

Regards.

Edited by pio93qwertz

Hey @pio93qwertz,

3 hours ago, pio93qwertz said:

Can somebody of you describe what happens re-import the exported JSON file?

Will this update the current entries?

If you re-import* the exported JSON file(possibly edited), the existing items won't be affected/replaced and new items will then be added into the existing vault. This will possibly result in duplicates if substantial changes aren't made to the values of the existing items.

However, importing the modified JSON into a new vault will avoid duplicate records.

*Imported as Enpass->JSON.

Thanks!

Hey @FireFart,

14 hours ago, FireFart said:

it would be great if you can release either an API on the offline client or a programming SDK to interact with the database to clean up and modify the password entries.

Unfortunately, this isn't on our plate for present road-map and there is a little possibility of implementing this in future. However, we really appreciate this "out-of-the-box" suggestion from you. 

14 hours ago, FireFart said:

Remove all autosubmit properties from all entries which could be easily done with a programming language

By removing auto-submit, I infer that you probably wish to block Enpass from "auto-filling" the log-in items?? If it's a "Yes"; this is already supported by Enpass and can be enabled under Enpass settings. 

Thanks!

On 10/16/2019 at 1:42 PM, Kashish said:

Hey @FireFart,

Unfortunately, this isn't on our plate for present road-map and there is a little possibility of implementing this in future. However, we really appreciate this "out-of-the-box" suggestion from you. 

By removing auto-submit, I infer that you probably wish to block Enpass from "auto-filling" the log-in items?? If it's a "Yes"; this is already supported by Enpass and can be enabled under Enpass settings. 

Thanks!

The auto filling was just an example. I can think of stuff like checking if the website still exists, if the url is correct and so on. Having some way to interact with the database would be a nice addon (either via an api, sdk or just the json im and export)

• 5 weeks later...

Hey @Kashish,

I would really like this so that I can use enpass as the storage backend for a secret manager and otp source for my work credentials. In particular, we have a VPN that requires the password appended with the related OTP for the password field to connect. The client I would add would poll enpass to request the secrets, and when enpass has been unlocked then use them to set up the vpn connection.

An enpass api is the only thing that has come close to making this secure to implement. And I don't need a full management api for it, just to be able to request credentials based on id/name once the db has been unlocked. Perhaps you could document/publish the api that is used by the browser plugins?

Best,

Dion

15 minutes ago, Dion said:

Hey @Kashish,

I would really like this so that I can use enpass as the storage backend for a secret manager and otp source for my work credentials. In particular, we have a VPN that requires the password appended with the related OTP for the password field to connect. The client I would add would poll enpass to request the secrets, and when enpass has been unlocked then use them to set up the vpn connection.

An enpass api is the only thing that has come close to making this secure to implement. And I don't need a full management api for it, just to be able to request credentials based on id/name once the db has been unlocked. Perhaps you could document/publish the api that is used by the browser plugins?

Best,

Dion

Since you seem to be technically versed, you can already do what you want, since Enpass uses the opensource library sqlcipher for storage.

See also:

• 2 months later...

Hi @Hitman

I think you misunderstand. I'm currently using Enpass as my centralised secret management system. If I have to go so far as to implement tools to unlock the vault then I'll be publishing it open source. And you will then have a free product with a similar feature set to what you have plus an api competing with you.