Enpass Discussion Forum

Aren't You Using The BiometricPrompt API?

probate

Hi,

with the Pixel 4 and some other phones we get phones without any fingerprint sensors, just Face Unlock (but not just camera based, it's similar to Face ID on the iPhone with IR). For an app to support that you have to use the BiometricPrompt API, and the Enpass on Android implementation looks (for my eyes) like it's using it for me (as it's this little window on the bottom on my Pixel 2 and looks exactly the same as with other apps using the better API) .. but when I asked the support by email they said it doesn't, so what API is it then?

LastPass announced to switch to the BiometricPrompt API and with it to support Face ID on the Pixel 4, I'd really like to know how it will be with Enpass.

And as far as I know with Android API Target 10 required for the Play Store in a few months you would need to use it anyways, so I'm wondering if it isn't actually supported already and if not, will you switch to the better API soon?

Edited by djohannes

Hey @DodgyBlater and @probate,

13 hours ago, DodgyBlater said:

I received my 4XL this morning.

Congrats on receiving your new phone.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:43 AM, probate said:

Does the Android Enpass app use the BiometricPrompt API?

Yes. Enpass support for the new Google BiometricPrompt API on Pixel 4 devices is presently in Beta phase. Please subscribe to Enpass beta program on Android and share your feedback.

Cheers:)

Hello @Kashish,

That works great!

My only feedback would be:

1. The label for the bio-metric says 'fingerprint' in the Enpass settings. 
  2. When you unlock Enpass with Face Unlock, you are greeted with a confirm prompt. Upon where you have to tap a button on the screen. After which, Enpass opens. With trying to make things a little bit zippier: I would suggest a 'skip confirmation step' toggle be added to the Enpass settings. If such a thing can be done. I see there's an option in the Face Unlock settings on the phone to 'Always require confirmation'. So maybe this confirmation step can be configured within apps too. Please forgive my ignorance here, if this isn't viable, or opens up vulnerabilities I'm too blind to see. I'm just sharing my thoughts. :P

Thanks again for you efforts.

Edited by DodgyBlater

On 10/23/2019 at 6:39 AM, Kashish said:

Hey @DodgyBlater and @probate,

Congrats on receiving your new phone.

Yes. Enpass support for the new Google BiometricPrompt API on Pixel 4 devices is presently in Beta phase. Please subscribe to Enpass beta program on Android and share your feedback.

Cheers:)

Hey @Kashish ! Thanks for the update, but could you please implement the "implicit confirmation" as others mentioned it already? :) You can do that with API lvl 29 (Android 10) as you can see here: