Enpass Discussion Forum

First look of Enpass using Autofill API in Android O

Vikram Dabas

Hi Folks!

Recently the Google has announced their upcoming Android version as Android 'O' (still in developer preview). Among all the awesome features, what caught our immediate attention was Autofill framework that lets the password managers to autofill in the apps without using the Android's accessibility services. 

After this announcement, our product team went into a huddle with the developers to get a reality check of Enpass' compatibility with this API. In our testing, we found Autofill framework working smoothly with Enpass, and here is how it looks.

preview-lightbox-android_o.gif

Since, Android O is still in development, so we have to wait till its official release to bake this feature into Enpass which shouldn’t be too far away. ;)

Cheers!

• Like 3

This is great news! But how would it work with the Brave Browser on android? which is based on chrome but seems to obfuscate the current domain from Enpass currently. I have to search for my credentials each time and when I select one, it asked "Do you want to add brave.com to your URL for this login" or something like that. Seems like that issue is likely with Brave and not Enpass but it's irritating all the same, especially since I don't want to use a Google branded browser.

Awesome! I am really looking forward to this. As gaetawoo, I am also curious about how well it will work in browsers other than Chrome, in my case the TugaBrowser (https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/tugapower.codeaurora.browser) which is also based on Chrome. With TugaBrowser, I also have to search for my credentials manually, it says "No login found for codeaurora.tugapower", no matter what website is visit. 

Anyway, thanks again for already giving us a first look at the upcoming Autofill framework, it's good to know you are as excited about it as I am.

Hi All,

Currently, Enpass can autofill into Chrome and other third party apps via 'Notifications' and 'Enpass Keyboard'. Autofill with Notifications works only with those browsers which provide accessibility events. This technical limitation is preventing us from auto filling in other browsers (Brave and TugaBrowser, in your cases) and that's why you've to search and fill the details.

But with the announcement of Android O, Google introduces Autofill Framework and removes the dependencies of Android's accessibility services for auto-filling. According to Android's developer documentation 'Apps that use standard views work with the Autofill Framework out of the box. However, you can take some steps to optimize how your app works with the framework.' So please wait how the Brave and TugaBrowser developers will use and implement this Autofill framework in their apps.

Also, at the moment you can also manually fill the logins in your browsers by using Enpass Keyboard.

Hope it helps!