Enpass Discussion Forum

Enpass not working on windows10 (not through windows10 app)

minusSeven

Enpass application on windows is not working from today onwards. It works fine on my android app with the master password as well.

First I uninstall enpass. Then I download the traditional win32 app and install the app. First time it crashes. Next it asks for master password which I provide yet it fails. The same master password works in android.

I am on windows10. The windows10 app in the windows store does not have installed button enabled so could not try this route. Windows10 app not enabled for me.

Is there a fail safe way of installing this app from scratch again. I use this app with firefox primarily.

Also is there a way disconnect dropbox with this app ?

Edited by minusSeven
Added detail for crashing first time

I would try this:

1. Close/quit Enpass. Don't just close the application window. Make sure Enpass is no longer running. You shouldn't see the Enpass application/lock icon in the notification area.
  2. You should have a folder, C:\Users\<UserName>\.Enpass. Backup this folder (e.g. zip archive or copy to other location) and delete the original. This folder may be hidden by default. If so, you can set File Explorer Folder Options to show hidden folders and files.
  3. Launch Enpass. It should display a "first run" wizard to configure Enpass. Configure it for Dropbox sync, and it should sync down from Dropbox. If Enpass still didn't launch as expected, try uninstalling Enpass again and delete the .Enpass directory from your profile directory (you should already have a backup from step 2), then reinstall Enpass and try again.
Edited by Monyker

15 hours ago, Monyker said:

I would try this:

1. Close/quit Enpass. Don't just close the application window. Make sure Enpass is no longer running. You shouldn't see the Enpass application/lock icon in the notification area.
  2. You should have a folder, C:\Users\<UserName>\.Enpass. Backup this folder (e.g. zip archive or copy to other location) and delete the original. This folder may be hidden by default. If so, you can set Windows Explorer Folder Options to show hidden folders and files.
  3. Launch Enpass. It should display a "first run" wizard to configure Enpass. Configure it for Dropbox sync, and it should sync down from Dropbox. If Enpass still didn't launch as expected, try uninstalling Enpass again and delete the .Enpass directory from your profile directory (you should already have a backup from step 2), then reinstall Enpass and try again.

I can't find the .Enpass folder anywhere inside Users folder. Is there anyway to find out location of this? I didn't change anything when I installed enpass for the first time.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling enpass. First time when I try to launch enpass it crashes. I have sent a dozen crash reports by now. 2nd time on starting enpass the application opens asking for password again.

I have also revoked the permission of enpass through dropbox settings. Inspite of that every 2nd time enpass opens it asks for master password.

.Enpass should be in your profile directory, not directly in Users (C:\Users\.Enpass). If your Windows username is minusSeven, you should find .Enpass at C:\Users\minusSeven\.Enpass, assuming default drive letter assignment. To show hidden files in File Explorer, click the View "ribbon" and click Options. This will open a Folder Options dialog. On the View tab, make sure the option is checked to Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and click OK to close the dialog box (this will also apply any changes). Open your user profile directory. You should see a .Enpass directory. I don't think showing hidden files and folders is technically required to see this directory in a Windows environment. On Linux/Unix, MacOS, files and folders that are named beginning with a period are hidden by default. Windows uses a file/directory attribute/property to determine "hiddenness".

Edited by Monyker

Ah, that reminds me...some time ago I changed the default location on my computer, to put .Enpass directly in my user directory folder instead of under Documents. I have folder redirection and offline files (sync) set up for Documents. This doesn't work so well with Enpass. Sorry for the confusion! :$

Glad you got it working!

Edited by Monyker