Enpass Discussion Forum

Wondering about resource usage

Max

I'm using the free desktop version and the Android version of Enpass and so far it's pretty awesome. I have one question however: it seems like Enpass is pegging a fair amount of CPU. Nearly a third of a modern Core i5 machine seems like a bit much.

Any idea as to what may be the cause or how I can help troubleshoot it?

task-manager-enpass.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

To follow up on this: quitting Enpass and starting it again brings down the CPU usage. With memory use being as low as it is (in the screen shot I posted, anyway), I'm not exactly sure *what* is leaking, but I'm starting it's related with uptime. I'll keep a further eye on it.

Hi,

When I resume my PC from standby the sync icon in Enpass keeps turning and doesn't complete.
It also uses 27% cpu at that time.

If I quit Enpass and open it again it syncs instantly and everything is back to normal until I resume from standby again.

regards,
Stijn

2 hours ago, Max said:

To follow up on this: quitting Enpass and starting it again brings down the CPU usage. With memory use being as low as it is (in the screen shot I posted, anyway), I'm not exactly sure *what* is leaking, but I'm starting it's related with uptime. I'll keep a further eye on it.

Hi Max,

Do you use standby on your PC?
I have an issue where syncing to webdav fails after standby, and cpu usage spikes.

Maybe cpu usage spikes even without syncing to webdav.

regards,
Stijn

My memory usage is now 155MB (Enpass + helper). CPU around 0,15.

I find the memory usage much too high. Maybe it's due to .NET and memory isn't released often. Hope something can be done about this. Eg. Keepass used only 35MB.

I'm using Windows 10 64 bits, Dropbox sync and have 500+ items.

Hi @Marc,

on my windows 10 x64 Enpass needs around 25MB, but I only have 80 items.

Nowadays we are using computer with more than 4GB of RAM and then 155MB is nothing.

To give you an example Firefox and Chrome use up to 1GB of RAM. So why do you have problems with the 155MB?? I think the more items you have, the more RAM you need.

On 27-5-2016 at 5:28 PM, edenhaus said:

Hi @Marc,

on my windows 10 x64 Enpass needs around 25MB, but I only have 80 items.

Nowadays we are using computer with more than 4GB of RAM and then 155MB is nothing.

To give you an example Firefox and Chrome use up to 1GB of RAM. So why do you have problems with the 155MB?? I think the more items you have, the more RAM you need.

It's just bad application behavior imho.

On my MacBook with "only" 4GB 155MB counts. Let's be honest, we're talking about a password manager. That's a small database program with a low amount of data (records/fields).

Safe in Cloud, with the same number of items, has a database of 50Kb. In Enpass that's 1MB. Now diskspace isn't a problem, although why should a database be that much larger? That does count when syncing on a mobile over a 3G connection.

Why should I waste 155MB of memory when it could be done in, let's say, 30MB (like PWSafe)? Why waste memory?

Same reason why I uses Echofon (80MB after some time) instead of TweetBot (250MB after some time).

Sure in these days GB's are cheap. But with 4GB of memory (of which 1,5-2GB is actually usable space) it doesn't hurt to be careful.

7 hours ago, Marc said:

It's just bad application behavior imho.

On my MacBook with "only" 4GB 155MB counts. Let's be honest, we're talking about a password manager. That's a small database program with a low amount of data (records/fields).

Safe in Cloud, with the same number of items, has a database of 50Kb. In Enpass that's 1MB. Now diskspace isn't a problem, although why should a database be that much larger? That does count when syncing on a mobile over a 3G connection.

Why should I waste 155MB of memory when it could be done in, let's say, 30MB (like PWSafe)? Why waste memory?

Same reason why I uses Echofon (80MB after some time) instead of TweetBot (250MB after some time).

Sure in these days GB's are cheap. But with 4GB of memory (of which 1,5-2GB is actually usable space) it doesn't hurt to be careful.

I can understand your point and but as I'm not a developer I can't really help you here.

I think the amount of RAM grows with the amount of items.

Hi all,

Really appreciate the amount of reply's in this topic. But the original request was about cpu usage when resuming from standby. While after restarting enpass the cpu usage returns to normal.

This together with not being able to sync with webdav after standby (don't know if Max has this problem too).

High memory / disk usage isn't nice, but it also isn't really a problem. The syncing issue bothers me, as I have to remember closing and starting Enpass everytime I use my pc.

I would also like someone from enpass to reply to this topic. They already merged it, so they must have seen it.

thanks,

Stijn

On 31-5-2016 at 10:45 PM, XiteHosting said:

This together with not being able to sync with webdav after standby (don't know if Max has this problem too).

High memory / disk usage isn't nice, but it also isn't really a problem. The syncing issue bothers me, as I have to remember closing and starting Enpass everytime I use my pc.

Strangely enough, I can't reproduce it by sleeping the laptop. Enpass is currently well-behaved at 1% CPU or so, rather than the 40%+ it sometimes gobbles up. RAM usage is currently at 20MB (plus 4.4 for the helper process). That's with 82 items.

Syncing to and from OwnCloud works without a hitch.

• 2 months later...
On 6/6/2016 at 8:27 AM, Ankur Sahu said:

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. We have fixed the above issues and an update is coming soon.

Hi @Ankur Sahu,

I'm on version 5.3.0 but today i again noticed high cpu usage (22% which is almost 100% of one core).
And the status bar shows "Synchronizing..." but never finishes.

Only after closing and restarting Enpass makes it synchronize again.

regards,

Stijn

Enpass.PNG

On 8/24/2016 at 2:02 PM, Anshu kumar said:

Hi @XiteHosting

We apologize for the inconvenience. Can you please let me know which cloud sync are you using. so that we can investigate where the problem could be.

Hi,

I'm syncing to the webdav service of a self-hosted seafile server.

The strange thing is that it only happens some times when resuming from stand-by.

21 hours ago, XiteHosting said:

Hi,

I'm syncing to the webdav service of a self-hosted seafile server.

The strange thing is that it only happens some times when resuming from stand-by.

Well, that was a bug in 5.2.1 version. We have re-opened the bug and will investigate it.

Thanks for your cooperation.