Enpass Discussion Forum

Disable Minimize to System Tray when you click X

patanne

I could swear it used to be that if I clicked the 'X' in the upper right, Enpass exited. Now it minimizes to the system tray and that drives me insane. Since the dawn of Windows there has been a minimize button. 'X' is not it! Most programs give you a setting: minimize to taskbar or minimize to system tray. If I hit 'X' I want the same behavior expected of every application that has following UX guidelines in Windows since day one. Quit the program completely!

Did I miss something? How do I get Enpass to do what it is supposed to do and honor my desire to fully quit the app?

I am running the fat app 6.3.1 on Windows 10. I cannot stand UWP.

The close button is intended to close the app. I think you might have it confused with the minimize button, the underscore / hyphen / m-dash, two to the left. Ctrl-Q is required for good UX design but is unacceptable for my purposes because it requires touching the keyboard. I am looking for intuitive, which means your app should behave like every other app... ever.

If you want to continue to employ poor UX please include an option in settings.

When can I expect this will be fixed?

Edited by patanne

In a multi-window app – in the Microsoft world called a Multi-Document Interface (MDI) – the red dot on a Mac closes the window but not the app, as does the X on Windows. In single-window app (SDI), which Enpass is, X closes the program. It has been a cornerstone of Microsoft's expanded interpretation of CUA (by IBM) since Windows 95. So, in the Windows world it is extremely poor design given the minimize button nearby and that nearly every SDI program ever conforms to the behavior that X closes the program. For those who enjoy the violation, you are apparently one Mr Doe, any offending program – rare but always one that wants to run in the background – has an accompanying setting to toggle behavior. This is the first time I've seen a program without the setting. It's bad UX whether you like it or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we are talking about Windows app behavior, no?

In my experience pressing the X button on Windows usually closes the app entirely unless a setting specifies otherwise. I also find it annoying that Enpass minimizes to the tray when I click the X. The other thing that I find annoying is that if I then right click on the tray icon to close the app that way it loads another UI which I then need to click another "hamburger" style menu and then close the application down that way.

This could just be me and a couple others being stuck in our ways but this is fairly frustrating for some. Please at least give us an option to have the app fully close and not minimize to the system tray. There are a lot of programs out there that have this setting in their configuration. It's very common.

If I do not manually close Enpass each time, my sync software does not sync the files between my devices as it says the files which need to be synced are in use. This adds to my annoyance of the issue. It would be very nice to have an option to just have the app close when the X is clicked.

Edited by policeshootout
formatting

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When is this going to get fixed?

Let's for a moment set aside the UX ignorance of @JohnDoe and everyone like him. This product is broken and it is quite annoying. I just installed 6.4.0.631. Still no fix.  It took you somewhere in the range of 3 years to release favicons despite everyone wanting it. There is absolutely no way I am waiting that long for you to fix something as fundamental as this. When?

• 1 month later...

Hey @policeshootout

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

For quick troubleshooting, please update the Enpass app on all the devices and then disconnect the sync from all the devices and reconnect it again.

If your problem persists, please share the following details so that we can investigate where the problem could be.

• On which devices and OS versions (mention all) are you using Enpass?
  • Which Enpass version are you using on each device?
  • Are you getting any error message or code during sync? If yes, share it with us.
  • Does the Date and Time setting set to automatic on all devices?
  • Does the last synced time get updated on the sync page?

Thanks!

wow @Garima Singh! What a useless post. Did you even read the thread? The product has a UI design flaw that the team is taking forever to fix; kinda like they did to roll out favicon support, which took years. Your troubleshooting tips are absolutely useless. If you want to help get the developers to release the fix.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a violation of fundamental UX, as it has been since IBM published CUA (Common User Access) in 1987. The software does not behave the way nearly every other piece of software in existence does, and it does not behave the way the user expects. You might as well try to tell me that a red light does not mean "stop" at an intersection, then tell me the correction is a feature request. You consider the change a feature request because your original intended behavior was and is wrong. A red light means stop! The X means completely shut down the application! It is a bug!

Edited by patanne

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

Thanks for the patience.

While investigating the problem we have found that clicking on the cross button (X) or cmd+w won't kill the app, it will just minimize it. It's the default behavior of the OS and the same is in all other native apps. You have to use the Cmd+Q button to completely close the app.

Thanks for the co-operation.

• 2 weeks later...

It is not the default behavior of the OS. Also, we are not discussing Mac OS, we are discussing Windows, so there is no cmd+Q.

When dealing with a SDI (single document interface) app or a modal app, clicking the X in Windows closes the app, as does alt-F4. In a MDI (multi-document interface) app, like MS Word, the X closes the document but leaves the app open. This the equivalent of control-F4. It has been that way since the inception of Windows. Your app is a SDI, so it is wrong! It is a bug. 

Now that I know you added your own "control-Q", the situation is helped somewhat. However, to be clear, alt-F4 (and the X) in a SDI app terminates the app. It has always been that way in Windows.

• 5 months later...

This always irritated me too. 

@All You Developers:

just to let you devs know, that more people are talking about this than you might know:

also this issue is listed in /r/programminghorror. 
i thought this might be a point you would like to consider when reviewing the way you responded to actual users giving you feedback 

Dear Enpass

Just to add to the conversation, I like the X button working as it currently does. Unlike other software, a password manager requires the app to be both running 'and' logged in for it to function and if pressing X were to shut Enpass down (logging the user out), I suspect many would discover (after a failed website login) they had accidentally shut down Enpass, rather than close it to taskbar. It could lead to more operational inconsistency. 

If you did decide to make the change, it would be helpful if the user had the 'option' of whether pressing X shut down the app completely or simply continued to close it to the taskbar. 

Thank you for any future developments.

Edited by Thoughts?
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Why would you want to kill the password manager and enter your mega master password every time? Don't you want to keep it running? I think the current implementation is absolutely fine.

I think the purists here don't like the misuse of the "x" button on the top right corner. I would suggest to create a custom title bar and just have the minimize to system-tray icon button and the maximize button in the top right the corner and remove the confusion all together.

Edited by Pratyush