Enpass Discussion Forum

Enpass running in Task Manager (even when closed) stops OneDrive Sync

IslandBoy

I have just started to sync my Documents folder with OneCloud. It always stalls with two files remaining open: enpasssettings.db and syncmeta.db. These files remain locked even when Enpass is not running on the desktop. I have to use TaskManager to shut Enpass down. Then the files sync OK. I remember something like this in 2018 when the same issue prevented an Enpass update.

1. Please fix this issue - it is an irritation every time I use Enpass and I'm sure you don't want that.
  2. The app should not continue to run in Task Manager even after I have closed it on the desktop.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hallo, I'm very aware of that, thank you. I have been an Enpass user for some years across several devices: 2 PCs, a tablet and a phone. 

The issue I and the other user have reported is nothing to do with that so please don't confuse and get distracted.

As I found in testing today, if you exit the app by Menu, it closes completely. Then the local files are released and OneDrive can sync them properly. If, however, you X out of the app or right-click close in Taskbar, the app stays running in Background Processes. This keeps the files locked and unavailable to OneDrive for syncing so OneDrive reports error. It's a pain.

This is not anything to do with Enpass itself syncing itself to the cloud. It's because, like many people, I have setup the OneDrive option for syncing all Docs to the cloud.

If you look in Task Manager and close Enpass the three ways, you will see this behaviour.

Edited by IslandBoy

Not sure if this is an issue of enpass. Enpass has its sync mechanism, mixing in another sync mechanism (Onedrive) is not ideal,generally speaking.. 

If you install the Store version, I think your db will reside in appdata rather than Documents, otherwise I'd stop syncing Documents if possible, Onedrive's default location is directly under user's home folder. 

Doesn't seem like you're able to exclude files yet in Onedrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/stopping-onedrive-from-syncing-specific-files/e5f3fd2e-6ec4-403b-9435-1ada19026919

At least not Onedrive personal, but for Onedrive Business the admin can apparently do it 

It is exactly an issue of Enpass. You will see this if you follow the diagnostic I posted. There are 3 ways to close Enpass. 1 works, 2 don't. Clearly they are different. If you don't believe me, do the different close-downs and look at Task Manager. But please don't disagree with an untested "opinion".

@Ivarson Prior to my recent reimage, I was using the version from the store. Must be why I wasn't seeing this before.

I think I'll switch back as this is annoying and keep an eye on this situation. You never know when MS will pull the plug on the MS Store.

Well crap. Not only did the download from the MS Store take forever, I am getting errors when trying to restore.

• Something went wrong while restoring from OneDrive. Error code: -978
  • Something went wrong. Error 400.

On my phone I getting this error and on my PC since restoring a backup: 

• Something went wrong while restoring from OneDrive. Error code: 507978
Edited by Zeke

Hi @Zeke

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Please follow these troubleshooting steps and let me know if the problem persists.

• Turn off the sync from all devices.
  • Open OneDrive in any browser --> App --> Open Enpass Folder --> Select vault.enpassdbsync --> Rename it as oldvault.enpassdbsync.
  • Now open Enpass and turn on the sync.

Hope this helps!

Hi @IslandBoy,

When you try to quit Enpass by clicking on 'X' button in the top right corner, the app is sent to the system tray at that time app is running and also keeping a hold of files in the Documents folder. So, either you can use the command to Exit (Ctrl+Q) or click on the Enpass icon in the menu bar and select Quit, also you can try to change the Enpass data location outside of Documents folder. That way sync of OneDrive with Documents folder will not interfere.

Thanks!

On 2/11/2020 at 9:57 PM, IslandBoy said:

It is exactly an issue of Enpass. You will see this if you follow the diagnostic I posted. There are 3 ways to close Enpass. 1 works, 2 don't. Clearly they are different. If you don't believe me, do the different close-downs and look at Task Manager. But please don't disagree with an untested "opinion".

It's well-known behaviour that apps in windows goes to systray when clicking 'X' in upper corner or Close. Especially when it has a reason of living permanently during the logged on user's session like Enpass does to serve queries from your webbrowsers plugin. 

It also makes perfect sense that the files are locked while the app is opened since Enpass needs to respond fast upon a query from a plugin or a keyboard shortcut is pressed, and also it does background sync while being locked

It's techincally possible to release the file allocations while app is still running, but it's error-prone, and Enpass has builtin Sync so there is no point.