Enpass Discussion Forum

Calrification on Windows Hello and TPM

Rojma

I am reading through the forums trying to fully understand Windows Hello support and how I can use it in conjunction with a fingerprint reader. Am I understanding correctly that on devices without a TPM 2.0 chip you have to still enter the Master password when you first open the UWP app but then after that you can use the fingerprint reader to unlock it? If so is this just the first time the app is opened after a reboot or is it every time the app is opened after being closed?

If the device does have a TPM 2.0 chip then you can always use the fingerprint reader and never need to type the Master password, correct?

Hi @Rojma

Thanks for writing in.

On 7/1/2017 at 6:12 PM, Rojma said:

Am I understanding correctly that on devices without a TPM 2.0 chip you have to still enter the Master password when you first open the UWP app but then after that you can use the fingerprint reader to unlock it? If so is this just the first time the app is opened after a reboot or is it every time the app is opened after being closed?

Yes, on a device without TPM 2.0, Enpass requires a master password when the app is restarted/closed or device is rebooted.

On 7/1/2017 at 6:12 PM, Rojma said:

If the device does have a TPM 2.0 chip then you can always use the fingerprint reader and never need to type the Master password, correct?

Not exactly! Having only the TPM 2.0 doesn't mean that Windows Hello will work full time. There is one another factor known as TPM Key attestation info which must be retrievable on your device using the Microsoft provided API. If both the conditions are met, then yes, you can always login without entering the master password. For more details, please have a look 

Cheers!