Enpass Discussion Forum

Can't set up sync; Enpass not launching browser

ijprest

Enpass 6.3.3 (596); Windows 10 (18362).

I'd been using sync for a long time, but today Enpass said it needed to "reauthorize" my OneDrive sync.  So I click the button, and the little spinner spins forever, with nothing happening.  So I clicked the "disconnect" button, and tried to "Set up Sync" all over again.  Unfortunately, regardless of which sync-provider I choose, it gets stuck at this screen... the expected browser window to authorize the connection never appears.

image.png.16692d34b254d3dd3c81fa8fcd7b2aa3.png

Notes:

• I've tried exiting & relaunching Enpass; didn't help.
  • I've tried closing all browser windows and restarting the browser; didn't help.
  • I've tried rebooting; didn't help.

I fired up Process Monitor to see if there was any obvious problem, and I found this surprise:

image.png.5ae82e542beca43fdf86f6d9bb3c56e6.png

I don't know for certain if this is the issue, but that "C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\" that appears before the URL looks incorrect.

Please advise.

Under a debugger:

ModLoad: 5ff80000 5ff97000   C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Windows.Shell.ServiceHostBuilder.dll
ModLoad: 69fd0000 6a35d000   C:\Windows\SysWOW64\OneCoreUAPCommonProxyStub.dll
onecore\com\combase\objact\dllcache.cxx(2070)\combase.dll!76E1D7B0: (caller: 76D42BB9) ReturnHr(28) tid(114c) 8007007E The specified module could not be found.
onecore\com\combase\objact\dllcache.cxx(4569)\combase.dll!76D42CA9: (caller: 76D4A4DB) ReturnHr(29) tid(114c) 8007007E The specified module could not be found.
onecore\com\combase\objact\dllcache.cxx(4701)\combase.dll!76E07584: (caller: 76D4A4DB) ReturnHr(30) tid(114c) 8007007E The specified module could not be found.
ModLoad: 6a360000 6a39b000   C:\Windows\SysWOW64\OneCoreCommonProxyStub.dll
ShellExecute 'https://login.live.com/oauth20_authorize.srf?client_id=00000000XXXXXXXX&scope=onedrive.appfolder+offline_access&redirect_uri=https://auth.enpass.io/onedrive/&response_type=code&state=security_token_sinew' failed (error 5).

Similar results for other sync services... always "error 5".

Interesting.  That seems to be the problem.  I've got lots of browsers installed, so I tried a bunch.

• Firefox, IE, Old Edge (i.e., Edgehtml/Spartan) all work.
  • Chrome (Stable channel) works.
  • New Edge (Dev channel) works.

But:

• Chrome (Canary channel) fails.
  • New Edge (Canary channel) fails.

So presumably something that has changed recently in Chromium (probably in the last couple of weeks) has caused this to fail?

• 3 weeks later...

I have just experienced exactly the same issue. Enpass stopped syncing with the cloud, and trying to reconnect it just hung there, presumably waiting for a browser window to open. I had to fire up Process Monitor, track down the URL, change some of the slashes, and load the URL. It then synced again.

Chrome 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit).

FWIW, I re-tested with today's builds of Chrome (79.0.3945.130), Chrome Beta (80.0.3987.78), and Chrome Canary (81.0.4043.2).  Only Chrome Canary failed... so @dunholm's issue might be different (?) than my original problem.

I'll test again after 81 gets promoted to beta (Feb 13, per the schedule) and report the results.

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I just re-tested as promised.  Unfortunately, I got a new work machine in the last six weeks (and no longer have the old one), so I can't test on the same hardware.  I was previously able to reproduce it on my *home* machine, though, so I've re-tested there as well.  Here's what I found:

1. No issues with current versions of Chrome (Version 80.0.3987.149), Chrome Beta (Version 81.0.4044.83), Chrome Dev (Version 83.0.4093.3), and Chrome Canary (Version 83.0.4097.0). on either machine. 
-- Most of these are clean installs, though, that don't get much usage, so they mostly don't have any extensions installed, etc.

2. Microsoft Edge Canary (83) still exhibits the problem on my *home* machine, but not on my work machine.  (Beta & Stable channels worked fine in both places.)
-- So the problem is obviously somewhat machine dependent.
-- I tried disabling all the extensions I had installed, but it didn't help.  (Mostly the same extensions installed at home & work, though, so that was a long-shot.)

I'm not sure that helps anyone... but there it is.