Enpass Discussion Forum

How can I disable website icons from settings and keep existing ones?

HQJaTu

Website icons is a two-edged one for me. Having the favicon in the list makes anybody's life with many passwords sooooo much easier. On the other hand, there's the privacy issue.
#1 reason for me to use Enpass is the ability to have my OWN back-end to store the encrypted vault.

Since the value of customized icons is huge, I'm willing to enable the setting once.
That's as in one time. Then disable it, to protect my privacy and not let Enpass know any more of my sites, until I choose otherwise.

Can anybody guess what happens to icons ALREADY DOWNLOADED?! What!! Why!!

@HQJaTu,

On enabling the website icons, Enpass anonymously connects to one of our server(s) with just the host name of the URLs to fetch their corresponding icons. This operation respects your privacy as it doesn’t disclose any of your information to us; neither do we log your IP address that could allow us to identify you as a unique user.

Privacy is paramount for a secure password manager. Hence, this process doesn’t send any secure information to the server and the icons are downloaded anonymously.

If you disable this option, the already downloaded website icons won't be visible. 

The part where Enpass servers retrieve the icon is clear.

What you, nor any documentation, doesn't mention is exactly WHERE are the icons stored at. If on my vault, it's more then strange for the icons not to stay on at the point where I uncheck the "use website icons" checkbox. If at Enpass, that's a clear breach of my own rules for privacy and I won't use that feature no matter how much it would increase my usability.

I'm speculating here:
Website icons are stored in my vault, but you botched the implementation. There are actually two operations hidden into a single checkbox: 1) Use, as in display and 2) Fetch.

For this feature to be useful, I would love to use the icons, but not to automatically get all of them (I have hundreds of entries in my vaults). To balance usability vs. privacy, I'd love to manually specify which icons should be loaded. Does this make any sense?

Hi @HQJaTu,

Thanks for writing back in.

Please have a look at our blog post to know about website icons in Enpass and how they work.

On 2/5/2020 at 1:00 PM, HQJaTu said:

For this feature to be useful, I would love to use the icons, but not to automatically get all of them (I have hundreds of entries in my vaults). To balance usability vs. privacy, I'd love to manually specify which icons should be loaded. Does this make any sense?

We also understand the limitation with enabling website icons as there is no option to specify for which items you wish to use the website icons. We have forwarded your feedback to the concerned team.

Thanks!