Enpass Discussion Forum

Menu bar & browser entension won't bring up Enpass window

xnifex

I'm currently running 5.5.8 (101) on my early 2015 macbook pro 13". This is the install from the app store.

I'm having an issue where after a while Enpass will stop showing its window when I click the icon in the menu bar as well as in any browser that I have the extension installed. Oddly if I pull up the main Enpass application & put my password in, I can then go to the browser, press they key combination that would normally show up the Enpass window, & it'll fill in the password for the site. If I don't do this, then it won't do anything.

How can I fix this?

Guest Akash Vyas

Hi @xnifex

Thanks for using Enpass and writing in.

I would like to share that, in order to use Enpass Browser extension, the main app must be kept running in the background. The reason is that being an offline password manager, Enpass saves all your database locally on your device, not on any server. Whenever you visit a login page and click Enpass browser extension for auto-filling, then the extension securely connects with an Enpass app to fetch and auto-fill the details. For more details please have a look at our user manual link.

To keep Enpass running in the background you can minimize it to system tray. Also, you can set Enpass to autorun on system startup so that you don't have to manually start it every time the system starts.

Hope this helps!

Ciao.

Hello @Akash Vyas

Yes, I'm aware that it needs to remain open. I've been using the windows version for quite some time. & in my initial description I thought I had put that the main application is running in the background at all times. I'm having this issue with it open & minimized, yet still the menu bar & the browser extensions will not work. 

Edited by xnifex

any update on my response @Akash Vyas?

I experienced the issue again last night. While Enpass is running, the browser extension as well as as the menu bar icon at the top of my screen stop working. I have to quit Enpass & pull it up for them to start working again. I've never had this issue on a Windows PC & it's getting really annoying on the Mac.

Guest Akash Vyas

Hi @xnifex

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay.

Our testing team is looking into this issue and I'll get back to you when I hear from them. Meanwhile, I will really appreciate if you can perform following troubleshooting steps when the problem occurs.

Verify from the 'Activity Monitor' if an executable with the name 'Enpass Helper' is running. If yes, please run this command in the terminal and share the results: 

• lsof -i:10391

Where 10391 is the port number and if there is no output (blank), please try with other port numbers between 10391 to 10395. 

Also, please try our website version of Enpass and let me know if you face the same problem with it too. If you're using iCloud to sync your data, please have a look at our page on Migrating from MAC App Store version to Website version.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Cheers!

thanks for the followup @Akash Vyas

I have uploaded screenshots showing that the helper is running & the output of my terminal.

Also, I use the app store version because with the website version I always had the issue described in the following post. I do not have that issue with the app version.

As far as syncing data, I only sync to Dropbox.

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 9.36.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 9.37.51 AM.png

Guest Akash Vyas

Hey @xnifex

Thanks for sharing the results.

Did you use the command after the problem surfaced? If not, then please perform both the steps when the Enpass Helper (Extension window) stops appearing.

This issue has already been resolved, so please try our website version without any worries.:)

Thanks for your cooperation.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...