Jump to content
MaxM

Autofill doesn't work in Chrome

Recommended Posts

I've just installed Enpass few days ago to try and see if it's any better than Roboform I'm currently using. The biggest challenge / drawback I'm seeing right now is that autofill doesn't work at all in Chrome. I'm using the latest version of Chrome and no matter what I tried the autofill isn't working. 

At first Enpass extension for Chrome wouldn't work reporting "Enpass Connection Error" but I was able to rectify it by disabling browser verification in settings. However autofill still is a no go. 

I'm using Windows 7 x64 / Chrome 50.0.2661.102 m (64-bit) and Windows 10 x64 / Chrome 50.0.2661.102 m with the same result on both systems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I've figured out what (a part of) the issue was. I have all my logins imported from Roboform using Roborom's Print / Save as HTML feature. The problem is that Roboform inserts soft hyphen characters ­ to every single data field (URL, username, password, etc.) in the HTML file.

When Enpass imported the data from Roboform's HTML file it imported soft hyphens but treated them as invisible characters. As a result Enpass couldn't match any imported entry to the existing sites and failed to autofill any entries.

I have partially rectified the issue by removing all entries of "­" (soft hyphens) from the HTM file before importing into Enpass.
Now autofill works on some of the sites.

There is still at least one site where autofill didn't work until I edited the data manually. For one of my banks login data was stored in Roboform in the following fields:

k1: <card number>
q1: <password>

So when Enpass imported this entry from the HTML file it failed to recognize k1 field as Username and q1 as Password. I have manually changed in Enpass the field types to respectively Username and Password and got autofill working.
I'm sure there will be many more entries like this where Enpass didn't assign proper field type.

I'd like to see Enpass importing algorithm improved to:

  1. Remove soft hyphens from Roboform export data
  2. Improve recognition of username and password fields

 

 

Edited by MaxM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So are you saying that autofill now works for you? Because in my case Enpass has no problem identifying the website but it does not fill in the fields unless you manually activate the "autofill" by cicking on the Enpass button and selecting the relevant entry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Christoph said:

So are you saying that autofill now works for you? Because in my case Enpass has no problem identifying the website but it does not fill in the fields unless you manually activate the "autofill" by cicking on the Enpass button and selecting the relevant entry.

I see what you saying.., No, I also have to click on Enpass icon and manually activate the "autofill" by clicking on the relevant entry.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

Thanks for being active and your feedback.

17 hours ago, MaxM said:

When Enpass imported the data from Roboform's HTML file it imported soft hyphens but treated them as invisible characters. As a result Enpass couldn't match any imported entry to the existing sites and failed to autofill any entries.

 

We have accounted this issue to be fixed in future releases.

On 24 May 2016 at 2:00 AM, MaxM said:

At first Enpass extension for Chrome wouldn't work reporting "Enpass Connection Error" but I was able to rectify it by disabling browser verification in settings. However autofill still is a no go. 

This is what I should say very unusual behavior as Enpass works very well with Chrome Browser. We highly recommend that browser verification must be enabled for supported browsers to validate their code signatures. One of the possible cause could be some firewall or antivirus is there and preventing the communication between Enpass and Enpass Browser Extension, as a result you are getting "Enpass Conneciton Error". I suggest you to check your antivirus/firewall settings if they are blocking localhost address 127.0.0.1. Please let us know, if problem still persist.

16 hours ago, Christoph said:

So are you saying that autofill now works for you? Because in my case Enpass has no problem identifying the website but it does not fill in the fields unless you manually activate the "autofill" by cicking on the Enpass button and selecting the relevant entry.

Autofill through Enpass Browser extension works by manually selecting the item with which you want to autofill as this gives better control if you have multiple items there (and you can peep into there details). However we will keep on improving that.

Cheers!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Yogesh Kumar said:

This is what I should say very unusual behavior as Enpass works very well with Chrome Browser. We highly recommend that browser verification must be enabled for supported browsers to validate their code signatures. One of the possible cause could be some firewall or antivirus is there and preventing the communication between Enpass and Enpass Browser Extension, as a result you are getting "Enpass Conneciton Error". I suggest you to check your antivirus/firewall settings if they are blocking localhost address 127.0.0.1. Please let us know, if problem still persist.

Yogesh, thank you for your feedback. It doesn't look like the communication is blocked by the firewall or an antivirus. After re-enabling browser verification in Enpass I'm seeing the following message in Windows Security Event log around the moment when I click on Enpass extension icon in Chrome :

The Windows Filtering Platform has permitted a connection.

Application Information:
    Process ID:        18376
    Application Name:    \device\harddiskvolume2\program files (x86)\enpass\enpass.exe

Network Information:
    Direction:        Inbound
    Source Address:        127.0.0.1
    Source Port:        10391
    Destination Address:    127.0.0.1
    Destination Port:        53980
    Protocol:        6

Filter Information:
    Filter Run-Time ID:    68036
    Layer Name:        Receive/Accept
    Layer Run-Time ID:    44

However the browser then shows an error page saying Enpass Connection Error. I confirm that Enpass fails to connect to Chrome browser on both Windows 7 and Windows 10 with browser verification enabled

Just to think about this, why would firewall be the culprit if the communication works when the validation is disabled. I mean, Enpass browser extension still has to connect to Enpass main program no matter whether validation is enabled or disabled, right?

As I've mentioned above I'm running the latest Chrome v. 50.0.2661.102

Let me know if you'd like me to try anything else.

 

Edited by MaxM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2016 at 2:04 AM, Yogesh Kumar said:

Autofill through Enpass Browser extension works by manually selecting the item with which you want to autofill as this gives better control if you have multiple items there (and you can peep into there details). However we will keep on improving that.

LOL You guys are so funny to call that feature "autofill". Haha. You know what? My computer has this great feature calle "auto-everything". It can do everything automatically. Really! I just have to press some keys and do some clicks and boom!, it does it all by itself! Even this message was composed with this function. It's so great! I didn't have to do anything (except for pressing some keys).

Anyway! I'm staying with KeePass. It's entirely free and better (except for the UI design) and more configurable and ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...