Enpass Discussion Forum

are passwords no loger stored locally ? what am I missing here ?

avinator

I've used enpass for a while now and I gave my email address to unlock some features...here were I am confused.. I installed a new os and installed a new copy of enapass..

in the past i had to restore my database from a local file. Today, when I opened Enapss it prompted me to a password window. I entered my password and next think I was asked for was an email address which I entered and a security code was email to me. After entering the 6 digit code my vault opened up listing all my passwords...

I thought passwords are stored locally. obviously they're not. What am I missing here ?

Edited by avinator
add text

Hi @avinator,

Thanks for using Enpass and writing to us.

As Enpass is an offline password manager. We do not store your passwords or any sensitive information on the company’s server. Also, Enpass saves data locally on the device, and in case if you have enabled sync, the same file will be encrypted with the master password and stored into a particular cloud.

The purpose of registration with Enpass is all about linking your purchase with a valid email address so that you don’t have to buy it separately on all platforms. On the desktop versions, you can do the registration to unlock access to all features. Registration is not mandatory but there is no harm in doing that. Registration is a simple and password-less process which makes you eligible to use your purchases across the devices. If you wish to transfer or sync the Enpass data on the new device, please follow the below steps-

• Open Enpass on your Device-1 and go to Enpass settings --> Vaults --> Tap on Primary ---> Select 'Set up Sync' and choose a cloud account to your database.
  • Enter your cloud account details, follow the instructions and wait till the sync is done.
  • Now open Enpass on your Device-2 --> Vaults --> Tap on Primary ---> Select the cloud (as in Step 1) from which you had enabled sync on your Device-1.
  • Once the sync is done, all your databases from the Device-1 will be restored(visible) on your Device-2.

Thanks.

How can you explain that my passwords were automatically populated in my database when I did a fresh install of the os and never restored from a backup file?

1. Installed os ( fresh install )

2. downloaded Enpass for Linux 

3. when I open Enpass it automatically prompts me to a password window as if the database was already part of my download.

4. I never synced anything. Everything resides locally.

Edited by avinator

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 5:34 AM, avinator said:

I've used enpass for a while now and I gave my email address to unlock some features...here were I am confused.. I installed a new os and installed a new copy of enapass..

in the past i had to restore my database from a local file. Today, when I opened Enapss it prompted me to a password window. I entered my password and next think I was asked for was an email address which I entered and a security code was email to me. After entering the 6 digit code my vault opened up listing all my passwords...

I thought passwords are stored locally. obviously they're not. What am I missing here ?

Maybe you retained /home partition during reinstall, if it was a separate one. 

I installed Enpass on Mint 19x. I did use Enpass on the same device but the HD was erased. What I meant by restoring from a local database  I meant by restoring my own password backup file database...

Just tried on more time just now on a  a new machine running Debian 9.... I followed instructions, installed enpass and it automatically prompted me to a password window.. almost as it already have a password database.....it crashed after I entered my password...

In the past after installing I had to "restore from backup".....no longer the case. Actually as I mentioned before, now it just crashes as I mentioned above.

Hope I'm making sense....

Screenshot from 2020-03-17 16-17-03.png

Screenshot from 2020-03-17 16-17-50.png

Edited by avinator

On 3/18/2020 at 3:29 AM, Pratyush Sharma said:

Hi @avinator,

Sorry for the trouble you are going through.

We have reproduced the crash issue at our end, and our Dev team is working on it. Hopefully, fix will be available soon. Till then, we will request you to please co-operate with us.

Thanks!

so....any updates, explanations ? 

• 2 months later...
On 3/5/2020 at 11:13 PM, avinator said:

Anyone else?  Can someone explain the mechanism in which Enpass sees my database on a fresh install? See my previous post.

Hi @avinator

What method was used to wipe the HD before the fresh install? Unless you use a method like shred, DoD wipe, or similar utilities that write random passes of null data to the drive, data persists even though one is doing a "fresh install". I do lots of installs across different linux based systems and do use the Enpass cloud sync to a local, private network resource but haven't been able to reproduce the behavior. The only way I can somewhat replicate is on a new installation where I manually tell Enpass on the initial setup to restore an existing user database from my cloud resource and enter those details - then it will do exactly that.

The only explanation really is that what @Ivarson mentioned that possibly your /home partition was not fully wiped and picked up that information, or you possibly did a database restore on configuration?

Edited by genbushi