Enpass Discussion Forum

iCloud Sync does not work despite connection

Timo K.

Hi,

it does not make a difference. After sign out of iCloud with the browser - and I even signed out of iCloud in Windows - the spinning wheel is still there.

What I have noticed however is that Enpass has still be connected with iCloud. So this time when I opened enpass and checked the sync settings it did not say that I had to sign back on to iCloud. Seems as if in the background the "keep me signed in" has been checked when I signed on last time. I will keep an eye on this. If that persists then I don't care about the spinning wheel issue.

7 minutes ago, rednewsch said:

I can confirm the same behavior with Firefox, Chrome, Edge and Internet Explorer.
I'm using multi factor authentication. Could that be a problem?

Hi rednewsch,

If you mean with Multifactor Authentication the same as 2-factor authentication , I can confirm that this works without problems for me. It seems it must be something else. Have you possibly created an app-specific password in icloud and are you using your normal apple-id password for synchronization in enpass? And when not, you could try to create an Enpass Password in your apple-id account.

yes, 2-factor authentification. I sign in to iCloud with my iCloud password. There is only one iCloud account that I use. So in order to connect Epnass to iCloud for synchronization the browser asks me for my iCloud password. Which I then enter. Then I get referred back to Enpass and the synchronization procedure starts and is successful. Only that the connection with expire after 24h or so.

I have just discovered the possibility to create an app specific password. I'm sure I have not used this because I have not been aware of this before. Is it recommended to use this?

1 hour ago, rednewsch said:

yes, 2-factor authentification. I sign in to iCloud with my iCloud password. There is only one iCloud account that I use. So in order to connect Epnass to iCloud for synchronization the browser asks me for my iCloud password. Which I then enter. Then I get referred back to Enpass and the synchronization procedure starts and is successful. Only that the connection with expire after 24h or so.

I have just discovered the possibility to create an app specific password. I'm sure I have not used this because I have not been aware of this before. Is it recommended to use this?

I don't know if it is recommended, but you can give it a try. 
For me Enpass works fine with my normal apple-id password. But you could give it a try.
It could also be a virus scanner issue. Have you already tried to temporarily disable it?

30 minutes ago, Dennis J said:

I don't know if it is recommended, but you can give it a try. 
For me Enpass works fine with my normal apple-id password. But you could give it a try.
It could also be a virus scanner issue. Have you already tried to temporarily disable it?

it's not the virus scanner, I just tried. I'll go check with the app specific password and let you know the result.

After given the icloud password you should get a popup-screen where you are asked to open Enpass Password Manager. Whitout mouseclicking this "Open Enpass Password Manager" button the screen stays hanging in the spinning circle screen. Do you guys get this popup? If not, maybe something is blocking the popup.

Enpass Popup.png

Edited by Dennis J

yes. I get this popup and I press the button which brings Enpass into the foreground and the signon starts. The browser is in the background with the spinning wheel, I suppose I should see the check box to keep me signed on, but that doesn't happen. If I reload the page it says "Authentication Error, this action could no be completed".

If that would help I could offer to have a screen sharing session where I could demonstrate what happens.

Hi @rednewsch,

While entering your iCloud username and password, you have the option to check "Keep me logged in", in my case it's in dutch "Houd me ingelogd". That are all the checkboxes you need to set.

1096244620_EnpassCheckbox.thumb.png.b5f616e3224d008d8ca8218df0582eb8.png

After that you will get the popup, and you have to open Enpass if it doesn't happen automatically.

1490283110_EnpassSpinningWheel.thumb.png.522602a64a1e7119f03cfaf04217d594.png

You will then see that synchronization is started

428542607_EnpassSynchronising.thumb.png.31503434278f3f5bbc6515543ba489d3.png

and after a few seconds it is ready.

788252996_EnpassSynchronisingFinished.thumb.png.0f7107fc5918ac7ec7b1c3f4780bfefc.png

If you then go back to your browser, the spinning circle is still there.

1040828975_EnpassBrowserwhensynchronisingisready.thumb.png.748504dd5472dad15dbac47d8ab81231.png

You can just close the browser at this point, because the setup is already done.
Hopefully the screenshots will help you foreward.

Hello,

ok, so here's how my sign-on screen to iCloud looks like:

image.png.22e68bec479621c1ad7c88eca95daa2a.png

THere is a check box "Apple ID merken", which means "keep Apple ID", or "memorize Apple ID". I have never checked this box because I was waiting to see something like "keep me logged in" and the semantics of "keep Apple ID" is not the same as "keep me logged in". This was misleading me.

So this time I have checked this box. Let's see what happens. From the descriptions so far I was waiting to see the "keep me signed in" check box after Enpass signs in to iCloud and not before. Sorry if this was the problem.

Thanks for pointing this out so clearly.

• Like 1