Enpass Discussion Forum

Enpass stopped syncing with OneDrive due to bad master password?

Rojma

I had a very strange problem happen today. I noticed that Enpass was no longer syncing with OneDrive. When I told it to sync, it seemed to connect to OneDrive OK, but then said the (master) password on the file was incorrect. This was a bit strange because I had not changed the password on the file. I checked the Enpass client on several PCs plus my mobile device and they all had the same issue. However the local copies of Enpass still allowed me to get in with the same master password that I have always used and that should have been on the file up on OneDrive. I tried manually entering the master password so that it would start syncing again and it still said the password was wrong. When I clicked on the Help button, it said the password had been set about two years ago on one of my PCs (a PC that I recognized). In other words I don't think the file was "hacked" and the password changed otherwise the last time the password changed would have been more recent. Additionally I use a unique password with my Microsoft Account and also use 2 factor authentication, so its very unlikely that my Microsoft account got hacked and my Enpass file somehow compromised.

I ended up resolving the issue by disconnecting the OneDrive sync, deleting the Enpass file on OneDrive, and then telling it to sync back to OneDrive. Any idea what was going on here? Why would it all of sudden think that the password on the file on OneDrive was bad?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This has happened to me AGAIN today. After changing my vault password and my Microsoft Account password and it working OK for a couple of days my vault password all of a sudden stopped working again today. What in the world is going on??? I really need this issue addressed because I don't want to get to the point that I get locked out of my vault.

@Rojma I am sorry for the trouble and the late replies. I regret answering this too late. Could you please follow the below steps to check if the issue fixes:

• Please disconnect the sync on all the devices that are syncing with the One Drive account. If you already have all the data on the device(s), proceed to the next step.
  • Login to OneDrive on a browser and rename the file inside Enpass folder to old_vaultxxx.sync.
  • Re-connect the sync on all devices with the same One Drive account and check if the issue fixes.
  • Confused 1

After the issue continuing yesterday sometimes even within 30 minutes after last resetting the password, I took exactly the steps you outlined above. So far so good but we'll have to wait a few days to see if the issue is really fixed.

• Like 1

Luckily my master password continued to work on the local copy on my Windows PC. Additionally I was able to access via my Android phone using fingerprint. I immediately backed up everything just in case. I then proceeded to change the master password and sync it with OneDrive again (or I should say I told my local copy with the new master password to overwrite my copy on OneDrive). However after some period of time it would break again and stop syncing saying the master password was bad. This could be after a few days or as little as under 30 minutes. That's when I figured that one of my devices must be causing the issue any time it was trying to sync. I have around 10 different devices (Windows PCs, Android phones, Apple tablets) but I decided to just delete EnPass from all of the devices except one of my Windows PC. Once I did that, I told my Windows PC to no longer sync with OneDrive, deleted all EnPass data from OneDrive, and then told the Windows PC to start syncing with OneDrive again. I then started setting EnPass back up on all of my devices. So far so good, but its only been a day. It would sometimes take a few days for the problem to manifest again. I will report back in a few days if the problem happens again or not.

Edited by Rojma

Hey @Rojma& @Captain_Eric

To investigate further on this issue, we want a little input from your side, so please take the backup of Enpass data and perform these steps and let me know if the problem persists.    

• Download the debug version of Enpass on your desktop form the below link.   
  • Now open Enpass --> Settings --> Advanced --> Logs --> Enable it.   
  • Now sync with One-Drive. When you receive an error code --> Go to Advanced settings --> Logs --> Copy the Logs in any text editor and share with us.

Thanks for your co-operation

5 hours ago, Garima Singh said:

Hey @Rojma& @Captain_Eric

To investigate further on this issue, we want a little input from your side, so please take the backup of Enpass data and perform these steps and let me know if the problem persists.    

• Download the debug version of Enpass on your desktop form the below link.   
  • Now open Enpass --> Settings --> Advanced --> Logs --> Enable it.   
  • Now sync with One-Drive. When you receive an error code --> Go to Advanced settings --> Logs --> Copy the Logs in any text editor and share with us.

Thanks for your co-operation

Thank you @Garima Singh. I will do this ASAP and get you logs as soon as I run into the problem again.

16 hours ago, Rojma said:

I have installed the version you suggested and enabled logging. However one question. I am getting a prompt that there is a New Update Available. Should I update or stay at the version I downloaded?

Hi @Rojma

Yes, please do not update the app. If the issue resurfaces, please share the logs.

Thanks.

@Garima Singh could this issue have anything to do with having both OneDrive (personal) and OneDrive for Business on my PC? I just noticed that the Enpass that I just installed and configured is syncing with my OneDrive for Business account instead of my normal OneDrive account. I am going to stop the sync and see if I can get it to configure with my normal OneDrive account.

Just now, Rojma said:

@Garima Singh could this issue have anything to do with having both OneDrive (personal) and OneDrive for Business on my PC? I just noticed that the Enpass that I just installed and configured is syncing with my OneDrive for Business account instead of my normal OneDrive account. I am going to stop the sync and see if I can get it to configure with my normal OneDrive account.

I just set up the sync again. I noticed it prompted me for what account to use when I set up the sync. I must have accidentally selected the business account instead of the personal account when I first set it up after installing the debug version. It is now correctly syncing with my personal OneDrive account. I will keep an eye on it.

• Like 1

@Garima Singh I had the problem again, but in a slightly different matter. Today I could not log into EnPass locally using my master password. This is was on the PC where I am running the debug/beta version. I even typed out my password in Notepad to make sure that I was typing it out correctly. Because I could not log in, I could not get to the part of the program that lets me get to logs. Ultimately I had to uninstall the app and then reinstall it. Once I did that I was able to connect to OneDrive and my master password started to work again. I know I typed in the password the same both times because I copied and pasted the password that I had typed in Notepad both before I uninstalled and it didn't work, and after I reinstalled it and it did work. In case this happens again, is there way for me to grab logs for you if I am not even able to log into the app using the master password?

Edited by Rojma

On 4/1/2020 at 7:11 AM, Rojma said:

I had a very strange problem happen today. I noticed that Enpass was no longer syncing with OneDrive. When I told it to sync, it seemed to connect to OneDrive OK, but then said the (master) password on the file was incorrect. This was a bit strange because I had not changed the password on the file. I checked the Enpass client on several PCs plus my mobile device and they all had the same issue. However the local copies of Enpass still allowed me to get in with the same master password that I have always used and that should have been on the file up on OneDrive. I tried manually entering the master password so that it would start syncing again and it still said the password was wrong. When I clicked on the Help button, it said the password had been set about two years ago on one of my PCs (a PC that I recognized). In other words I don't think the file was "hacked" and the password changed otherwise the last time the password changed would have been more recent. Additionally I use a unique password with my Microsoft Account and also use 2 factor authentication, so its very unlikely that my Microsoft account got hacked and my Enpass file somehow compromised.

I ended up resolving the issue by disconnecting the OneDrive sync, deleting the Enpass file on OneDrive, and then telling it to sync back to OneDrive. Any idea what was going on here? Why would it all of sudden think that the password on the file on OneDrive was bad?

Same With me...

I do not think Enpass Messes up with OneDrive personal and OneDrive business. I have an android phone with just connected to OneDrive personal and get the same problem. This is really a mess. I Think it has most likely to do with this vault Idea and different passwords for vaults, master-password etc. The routine messes up the "old" storage files on OneDrive with checking for a new vault-password.  

9 hours ago, MioMio said:

I do not think Enpass Messes up with OneDrive personal and OneDrive business. I have an android phone with just connected to OneDrive personal and get the same problem. This is really a mess. I Think it has most likely to do with this vault Idea and different passwords for vaults, master-password etc. The routine messes up the "old" storage files on OneDrive with checking for a new vault-password.  

I only have one vault and one password although obviously I share that vault with many devices (~10). To rule out problems with the files on OneDrive, I did at one point manually delete everything from OneDrive and then resynced.

Hey @MioMio

Sorry for the trouble.

Please share the following details so that we can investigate where the problem could be.

• On which device and OS version are you having this issue?
  • Which Enpass version are you using on each device?
  • Did you try renaming or deleting the folder of One-drive and then setting up sync again?

Thanks.

On 4/24/2020 at 2:41 PM, Garima Singh said:

Hey @MioMio

Sorry for the trouble.

Please share the following details so that we can investigate where the problem could be.

• On which device and OS version are you having this issue?

Windows 10 (1909) with Enpass Pro 6.4.1 (642) (two PC's/Microsoft Surface)

Android 9 with Enpass 6.4.3.344 and 6.4.2.337 (two devices)

• Which Enpass version are you using on each device?
  • Did you try renaming or deleting the folder of One-drive and then setting up sync again?

No

Thanks.