Enpass Discussion Forum

Sync Error Password of data on OneDrive is required - but no changes have been made

IslandBoy

I have used Enpass across 3 PCs and an Android Phone for years. The sync is via OneDrive. It has been fine until just now. This morning, fine, just now it says
Sync Error - Password of data on OneDrive is required.

I click Resolve Now and enter the correct OneDrive password (I know it's correct, I just checked by login to OneDrive by Broswer and none of my OneDrive synced PCs have a problem) and it says:

Incorrect Password.

I then try the correct Enpass password (I know it's correct because I just logged into Enpass desktop with it) and it says:

Incorrect Password.

???

I don't want to change my OneDrive Password as this means having to change my Microsoft password across multiple devices and email accounts - a royal pain. I don't want to chaange my Enpass password as I'd have to do that over multiple devices (but if I must, I must).

The only change from this morning is that I was invited to join Microsoft Teams using an email address which isn't my main account or the one I use for OneDrive. Why can't I sync with the correct password and how can this be resolved?

@IslandBoy Sorry for a late reply. There seems to be an issue with the OneDrive sync. Don't worry, follow the below steps:

1. Please disconnect the sync on all the devices that are syncing with the One Drive account. If you already have all the data on the device(s), proceed to the next step.
  2. Login to OneDrive on a browser and rename the file inside Enpass folder to old_vaultxxx.sync.
  3. Re-connect the sync on all devices with the same OneDrive account and check if the issue fixes.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 1:01 PM, Kashish said:

@IslandBoy Sorry for a late reply. There seems to be an issue with the OneDrive sync. Don't worry, follow the below steps:

1. Please disconnect the sync on all the devices that are syncing with the One Drive account. If you already have all the data on the device(s), proceed to the next step.
  2. Login to OneDrive on a browser and rename the file inside Enpass folder to old_vaultxxx.sync.
  3. Re-connect the sync on all devices with the same OneDrive account and check if the issue fixes.

This can't be solved completely. A few days later, it's still like this.

This does not work for me.  But it is funny that you don't need a password to log into the mobile app if you are using Authenticator. But you can't use Authenticator for the Windows app. Kind of ridiculous actually that it is even asking for a password.  Architectural fail.

Hi @SilentRick & @mark chang

Sorry for the trouble.

Please share the following details so that we can investigate where the problem could be.

• On which devices and OS versions (mention all) are you using Enpass?
  • Which Enpass version are you using on each device?
  • Does the Date and Time setting set to automatic on all devices?
  • Does the last synced time get updated on the sync page?
  • Please share a screenshot of the error.

Thanks!

I have the same problem.

Devices : 

PC (Windows 10 May 2020) - Enpass Version : 6.41.642.0

Phone (Android 9.1) - Enpass Version : 6.4.2.337

Ipad Mini (9.3.5) - Enpass Version : 6.4.2

Every devices have Date & Time set on automatic (and are indeed on the same date & time)

When i first encountered this issue i already disconnected Sync on all devices, then deleted Enpass folder on OneDrive. Then re-Synced on all devices with the same vault password just fine...

It worked for 2 days it seems, and now i have the same error again : Sync Error - Password of data on Onedrive is required.

Hey @Skydexter

Welcome to the forum and sorry for the trouble.

To investigate further on this issue, we want a little input from your side, so please take the backup of Enpass data and perform these steps and let me know if the problem persists.    

• Download the debug version of Enpass on your desktop form the below link.   
  • Now open Enpass --> Settings --> Advanced --> Logs --> Enable it.   
  • Now sync with One-Drive. When you receive an error code --> Go to Advanced settings --> Logs --> Copy the Logs in any text editor and share with us.

Thanks for your co-operation

Just got this issue (again).

It seems that the problem comes from a corrupted file on Onedrive. (File size change from 2.4mo to 1.05mo in my case)

Restoring it to previous version and it worked

Screenshot of my Enpass error + Onedrive file history :

SyncFailEnpass.jpg

Edited by Skydexter

Hi @Skydexter,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

We want a little more input from your side, so please take the backup of Enpass data and perform these steps.

• Disconnect sync from all the devices.
  • Download the debug version of Enpass from this link on your Windows.
  • Now sync with OneDrive. When you receive an error code --> Go to Advanced settings --> Logs --> Copy the Logs in any text editor and share with us on support@enpass.io so we can further investigate.

Thanks for your co-operation.

• 3 weeks later...

Ever since you implemented OneDrive for business you have broken access to personal OneDrive sync. It works for a couple days max after implementing your “fixes” and then asks for your sync password and won’t accept any and then stops syncing again. This has been going on for months!!!! 

The devs generic copy paste response to this problem is unacceptable. The problem is on your end!!

Think about how ridiculous this is. When you set up OneDrive sync, Microsoft recognizes your device and doesn’t even ask for your password, you don’t set up a password for the sync when you initially sync. A day or so goes by and Enpass stops syncing and says “Sync error. Password on data on OneDrive required“ but it won’t accept your OneDrive password or your Enpass password or any password you’ve used for anything your entire life.

Your “fixes” might “fix” this so a day or so and people come back here and say “it’s working now” but a couple days later it will stop syncing and ask for the data password again.

It’s almost as if you didn’t fully roll out the system in the app. The old way was to set up a data password when you initiated the sync, the new way is to connect directly to the one drive website. Why when the sync breaks inevitably for no reason does it revert to the old system of asking for the password of the data? There is no password! The password now is API connection to OneDrive directly!

Your not going to find this answer in customer logs, obviously you’ve been looking for months and are still scratching your heads. The problem is bad design and implementation on YOUR END! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Jay Salh,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Please let us know are you able to access all your data on any device? If Yes, follow the below steps to restore the sync:

• Take a manual backup of the data on all the devices.
  • Disconnect the sync on all devices.
  • Remove the Enpass folders from OneDrive account.
  • Login to the site https://account.live.com/consent/Manage with the same Microsoft account and delete all the permissions for Enpass.
  • Re-set up the sync with OneDrive on all the devices and check.

If the issue persists, please let us know.

Ok the did all the above - and the error returned... but a quicker fix for me was - when the sync error happens, and it wants you to resolve it by entering a new password - which no matter what you put in - it will say is incorrect.  Then I press continue - and it will ask you if you want to overwrite the dB on OneDrive.  I say yes - and it all syncs.  Then when I go to my other devices, they have resolved themselves.  Note - when you do select continue - it will show the last time the password was changed - and (in my case) it was showing a date and time that I know I wasn't using that device.  So not sure if that was an error - or is it triggering something else.

I suspect this will happen again tomorrow - and if does I will update things here.

On 4/28/2020 at 10:06 AM, Skydexter said:

Just got this issue (again).

It seems that the problem comes from a corrupted file on Onedrive.

Restoring it to previous version and it worked

Screenshot of my Enpass error + Onedrive file history :

SyncFailEnpass.jpg

Merci SkyDexter ! Indeed, I had the same corrupted file. And after restoring the previous version, it's working back again. I hope it would not fail again after 2 days.

Hey @Captain_Eric

Our team is trying to resolve the issue.

On 4/28/2020 at 4:59 PM, Pratyush Sharma said:

We want a little more input from your side, so please take the backup of Enpass data and perform these steps.

• Disconnect sync from all the devices.
  • Download the debug version of Enpass from this link on your Windows.
  • Now sync with OneDrive. When you receive an error code --> Go to Advanced settings --> Logs --> Copy the Logs in any text editor and share with us on support@enpass.io so we can further investigate

It would be really helpful if you share the logs using this above method.

Thanks for the co-operation.