Enpass Discussion Forum

Importing existing Firefox passwords

msirapian

Hi,

I would like to import most of my existing passwords saved in Firefox, before using Enpass.

Surprisingly, importing firefox paswwords is not supported. I've found a "password exporter" extension for firefox, it exports passwords in XML or CSV. But either format won't be recognised by enpass. I'm sure I could import these files in Keepass, then export as a keepass file, and then import the keepass file, but it's a bit complicated.

Am I missing something : is there an *easy* way to import existing saved passwords from firefox to enpass ?

thanks

Hello @msirapian

Thanks for showing interest in Enpass.

Currently Enpass doesn't support direct import from Firefox browser, although app supports import via Generic CSV. But due to users database's safety and security we can't recommend to export any of your database using a third party extension, as the extension may access your information.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been there myself just a week ago and there is a way, but it involves exporting and importing in a different application.

Pre-requisites:

Keepass 2

add-on for Keepass: Firefox to Keepass: https://websiteadvantage.com.au/Firefox-KeePass-Password-Import

Steps:

1. create an empty database in Keepass

2. go to file -> import -> Firefox and select the right profile and optionally the master password

3. Press import

4. Export the Keepass database (KDBX Keepass 2.x is fine)

5. Import in Empass

6. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

I imported via Lastpass because Keepass didn't work for me.

Inability to import from Firefox was a big deal for me, and while I am happy so far with Enpass this lack of an obvious feature will keep me from recommending it to others.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I had the same issues as you and found a nice solution. It involves no addon and no 3rd party.

It's a python script which simply decrypts the passwords in your firefox profile (you have to input the master password if you use one).

On linux (probably the same on mac, don't know on windows), just type python firefox_decrypt.py -t and it will dispaly in the terminal window all your passwords. Select all the lines and copy them in a txt file.

You just need to tweak it a little : delete the comma at the end of each line and single quotes around logins and passwords (a simple search and replace is fine).

And you're ready to import all your passwords in enpass. I did it with 563 lines and it worked like a charm.

Would be great if it could be added as a native feature.

Have a great day !

Flore

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...