Enpass Discussion Forum

Android O AutoFill

jpalo

Android O AutoFill

Hi,

could we open a discussion on the features, status and known issues regarding the Android O autofill functionality, mainly because I'm not sure which issues are due to Android O, which due to Enpass beta support on it, and which are just by-design features of the autofill.

1. Should the autofill work in apps and in Android Chrome browser? (as I very rarely see the prompt anywhere, either in apps, or in Chrome)

2. If the autofill isn't even displaying the prompt to login to Enpass (sorry but it is so rarely working I cannot even remember the what the prompt says), is it due to Android O or Enpass?

3. Is there any Android-specific way to force the Android autofill to trigger, in case it is not reacting at all to credential fields?

Guest Akash Vyas

Hey @jpalo

Actually Android autofill support is quite new and that's why all these confusions but thanks for starting a discussion about it.

On 8/30/2017 at 11:06 AM, jpalo said:

1. Should the autofill work in apps and in Android Chrome browser? (as I very rarely see the prompt anywhere, either in apps, or in Chrome)

The auto-fill feature works only for those specific apps which have implemented support for autofilling by Android autofill, although we also try to look for username and password fields at our end. And it doesn't work for Chrome yet.

2. If the autofill isn't even displaying the prompt to login to Enpass (sorry but it is so rarely working I cannot even remember the what the prompt says), is it due to Android O or Enpass?

It is because of that third party app which hasn't yet implemented support for Autofill; or rarely a miss by Android O.

3. Is there any Android-specific way to force the Android autofill to trigger, in case it is not reacting at all to credential fields?

Yes, you can force so for the unsupported apps (which haven't implemented autofill support) by tapping and holding to make an option as Autofill to appear.  

Hope this answers your queries.

Same questions here, but I need a bit more understanding:

Using Pixel, Android 8.0, Enpass Autofill seems to work fine with apps.

The only exception is Chrome. I am not sure how it is suppose to work exactly. Should I disable Chrome > Settings > Save passwords because I don't want to store passwords on Googles server? Or should I keep it enabled, but disable Chrome > Settings > Autofill and payments > Auto fill forms ? Or should I keep that one enabled to make sure Enpass will be triggered (with the current beta solution or future version of Enpass)? Or does this last setting have nothing to do with Android 8.0 Autofill framework?

Chrome is a bit confusing on this part..

Edited by zilexa

• 2 weeks later...