Enpass Discussion Forum

Any advantages between 1Password

Chippelchen88

Although I haven't conducted a detailed research by any means, my experience since I use Enpass (for 3 years now) has been the following:

- Enpass app has worked for me impeccably, both for desktop as well for mobile platforms; updates have been regular. This has been the case for 1Password as well but on the much more expensive side. 1Password has been also much more aggressive in terms of advertisement. I just have not see a major reason to use 1Password, especially since they recently turned to a subscription based pricing model, over Enpass. 

I hope this helps. I took time for a reply mostly because my experience with the app has been flawless thus far; I hope they'll keep doing a good job.

Pretty similar here, I had been a 1Password user for many years, but found it was getting too pricey if you wanted to add more platforms, and it didn't support Linux (it has done very recently), I also found it reasonably unreliable on some sites.

So far, Enpass has been very good for me, easy to use, reliable and fairly priced.

I too am not a fan of the subscription model, it might be good for corporate users, but for Joe Average, maybe not so.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the answer. I still not know how to secure my vault if I sync it over the net like Dropbox or iCloud. What if they collect my vault? How can I protect it? I somehow think 1 password has higher security because of the secret key feature. Even if they have my vault they need the secret key as second factor. Maybe I'm just too paranoid? 

• Like 1

Guest Akash Vyas

Hey guys, 

I completely understand your concerns about the data safety. I'll try to answer your question on it.

17 hours ago, Chippelchen88 said:

What if they collect my vault? How can I protect it?

Enpass database is completely secure, as the data never leaves the device unencrypted. Enpass uses SQLCipher (open-source and peer-reviewed cryptography engine) with 24000 rounds of PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA1. In the context of PBKDF2 or HMAC, SHA1 is still quite suitable from a security standpoint. Furthermore, the security of Enpass lies totally on Master Password that you only know. If anyone gets access to your data file by any means, he won't get anything meaningful out of it until he knows your master password. For more, please check out the security white paper.

Hope this clears your doubts.

Cheers! 

2 hours ago, Chippelchen88 said:

Is there any other way to protect the data? How can I be sure I'm using a "good" password which is secure against brute force?

e.g.: https://password.kaspersky.com/de/ - Just have 123, abc, ABC and [/$ in your password. 10+ chars long.

And: If you set up a 2FA for your Cloud service (OneDrive, Dropbox, ..) someone needs to get your cloud Service password, your 2 FA code and your master password of enpass.