Enpass Discussion Forum

Keyfile support?

MAGES.

There are any plans for keyfile support? Just like KeePass does a file and a master password for access to the database.

In my opinion is better for sync to the "cloud", a database out there and my keyfile always in local.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I am using Enpass for about 4 Month now (coming from Keepass) and mostly I am very happy with it, because I can run Enpass nativ on all my major operating systems (OS X, iOS and Windows).

But the big negative thing for me is, that there is no keyfile support. I synchronize my database with an ownCloud system, running on a public server using WebDAV. I have SSL and server-side encryption running, but still I'm not feeling to well about it, since my Enpass database has not just my whole logins stored, but the ones of my wife and my son as well.

I would feel a whole lot better if an additional keyfile could be added. Keepass (MiniKeepass) does that pretty well, even on iOS devices.

So I would highly recommend the keyfile integration, this would make cloud syncing much more safer ans surely a lot of people much more comfortable.

Kind regards

Thomas

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

This topic (missing key file) actually lead me to this forum. This one is my biggest concern about using Enpass as well and it keeps my colleagues and even my family from using Enpass.

Could you please prioritize this feature request higher?

I'm actually planning to convince my hole family to use Enpass instead of Keypass. However while my whole family is very security-focused (thank god) they won't switch to Enpass without the support of key files. Even though Enpass has so many advantages in regards to usability and comfort, which is actually perfect for my mother (who always struggles with technology).

Really a lot more people would switch to Enpass if it supports key files in addition to the master password to access the main vault.

Please, please, let it come very soon!

• Like 1

Made a forum account just to +1 the keyfile. Please make this top #1 priority!

Also, some sites don't allow certain special characters for passwords so if we could have a selection box of which special characters to include added to the 'show recipe' or into the settings it'd be perfect.

• 2 months later...

Hi @gammy,

Thanks for writing in. Keyfile support feature is already in our roadmap, but due to other features priorities, it has moved down. Our dev team is working hard to bring the new features asap and currently they are busy to bring one of the most demanding features "Attachment support" along with other enhancements.  At the moment I can say definitely we are going to implement but can't assure you any ETA.

Thanks for understanding!

Hi Anshu,

I made this account to + this topic too. Your software looks great but without keyfile support or any other 2fa, I will not use it. 

You can implement as many features as you want but it remains unsafe. Please make this your highest prio.

Thanks!

Edited by Rutger

• 1 year later...

Great to see keyfile support finally being added! Thanks @Anshu kumar et al.
For those of you having trouble figuring out how to use it, I'll cite the 6.0.0 user manual here for reference:

Using Keyfile with Master Password:
Enpass gives you an extra option to use a Keyfile with your master password.  You can choose to create Keyfile from the Advanced Options presented on the same screen of setting up master password.  The purpose of Keyfile is to add second factor in unlocking Enpass. The text from Keyfile gets appended to password and together they are used to encrypt your data.  Apparently, it is also required to unlock Enpass on all devices. So, like Master password, make sure you never lose it, and save it in some secure place.