Enpass Discussion Forum

enpass on Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't paste into terminal/terminator

PJS

I installed enpass using apt-get, saved some passwords.

I can copy and paste within enpass itself (i.e. if I copy the password and paste it into comments box of enpass itself, it pastes OK).

The copied data doesn't 'leave' enpass though, if I paste into a terminal window, the previously present clipboard content is available, enpass one is not.

If I use Ctrl-C of visible content in enpass (anything but using the copy icon), this works fine.

I short, the tool is not working.

I installed xclip, as some posts suggested to no avail.

Edited by PJS
Additional info about xclip

Ubuntu 16.04 - 6.4.1 (643)

uname -a output:
Linux <hostname> 4.4.0-166-generic #195-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 1 09:35:25 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

installed as:

root@workstation:/home/# echo "deb https://apt.enpass.io/ stable main" > \
>   /etc/apt/sources.list.d/enpass.list
root@workstation:/home/# wget -O - https://apt.enpass.io/keys/enpass-linux.key | apt-key add -
--2020-06-22 15:51:30-- https://apt.enpass.io/keys/enpass-linux.key
Resolving apt.enpass.io (apt.enpass.io)... [...]
Connecting to apt.enpass.io (apt.enpass.io)|<Your IP>|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1714 (1.7K) [binary/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘STDOUT’

-                           100%[========================================>]   1.67K  --.-KB/s    in 0s      
Following from 

I installed xclip to no avail. 

Edited by PJS

Hey @PJS

Thanks for the patience.

Could you please try to copy again after increasing Clipboard Timing from Enpass security settings if you haven't tried it yet. If the problem persists, please let us know the time duration you have set for clearing the clipboard in the Settings of the Enpass so that we can check this further.

Thanks.

The timeout is 30 seconds, it takes me less than 3 seconds to try to paste the copied content.

As per your suggestion I increased the timeout to 10 minutes (600 seconds) to no avail.

I however found out what the problem is, Enpass uses two methods for pasting:

• Wheel click (clipboard is not populated from Enpass, content selected previously)
  • Right click + Paste (clipboard from Enpass is used)

In other words Wheel click and Right click have different content when Enpass is used (this is the only application to do so from my experience with Ubuntu). If abc is copied from a text document, and xyz is copied form Enpass by clicking on Copy icon, there are two clipboards, depending which buttons are pressed. 

I tested the two clicks/clipboards in Terminator, Terminal, Text Editor and few other apps, the behaviour is the same, i.e. only Enpass seems to use two clipboards.

Whilst I can live with the workaround, could you see on your side if this is the case?

Edited by PJS

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Garima Singh.

I cannot share a video, I can just explain what you would see in the video.

I used both Termintor and Terminal emulators to test this.

There are two ways to paste in Terminal/Terminator

• Mouse wheel click
  • CtrlShiftV

Selecting any text in terminal emulation software (Terminator/Terminal) by either just selecting the section, or pressing CtrlShiftC, automatically places this section into both of the buffers (i.e. mouse click and CtrlShift one)

Same happens for any text selected by CtrlC or Right click and Paste from anywhere else (Web Page, Spreadsheet, Word Processor etc.), whether CtrlShiftV or Mouse wheel is pressed the content is the same, i.e. it doesn't matter which method is used to paste.

This is not the case with Enpass, if I select Your name (Garima Singh) from this forum page by using CtrlC, and then click on a password entry containing Password1 in the Enpass software following happens in an emulator:

• Mouse click pastes your name (Garima Singh)
  • CtrlShiftV pastes the Enpass password (Password1)

I hope this helps.

Edited by PJS

Hi @PJS,

Thanks for the patience.

We want to inform you that Linux has a selection buffer and a clipboard buffer. The 'Mouse wheel click' or 'Middle mouse click' pastes the last highlighted text instead of what someone copied. You can test this by highlighting some text, and without doing CTRL+C, paste directly with Mouse wheel click. This is the correct behavior, as some people might rely on selections and copied things simultaneously.