Enpass Discussion Forum

Importing with folders

Hi Enpass team,

can I import data with a custom csv file into separeted folders and subfolders?

The problem is, that I have a large Keepass database with hundreds of values, organized in custom folders and subfolders. When I import them to Enpass with the provided import tool, all folders are gone and I have to manual recreate them and assign its vaue(s) by hand.

I hope you can help me.

Thx

Ronny

Edited by opm_baer

Hi @opm_baer

Yes, You can import the data with separated folders and subfolders. For that first you need to export your data from KeePass by following these steps:

Open KeePass-->Go to File-->Export-->Select KeePass XML(2.x).

Now you can import that data into Enpass by following the steps mentioned here in user manual https://www.enpass.io/docs/desktop-windows/import_export.html

Cheers !

• Like 1

Hi Anshu,

thanks for your reply.

But when I export and import the way you mentioned it, all folders and subfolders from Keepass will be created as a "root" folder in Enpass.

Example:

In Keepass I have a folder structure like this:

• Root1
    • Root1.Sub1
    • Root1.Sub2
    • Root1.Sub3
  • Root2
    • Root2.Sub1
    • Root2.Sub2
    • Root2.Sub3
  • and so on

After the Import, the structure in Enpass looks like this:

• Root1
  • Root1.Sub1
  • Root1.Sub2
  • Root1.Sub3
  • Root2
  • Root2.Sub1
  • Root2.Sub2
  • Root2.Sub3

An finaly, I can't move the subfolders in it parent root folder. I just can manually create a new subfolder and then move it's entries to it.

What I'm doing wrong?

• Like 2

Hi @opm_baer

Oh sorry, Keepass importer does flatten the folder hierarchy. An improvement ticket has been opened. 

For the time being, I am afraid you  have to do some manual work to keep your data organized in original structure. You can create folder hierarchy manually (all folders and subfolders). Than select & drag all selected items from imported subfolder and drop into desired subfolder. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This issue is a show-stopper for me. After import I have 325 items in one long list. Some have the same name, as they were previously in separate folders. I can't use Enpass until this is fixed, so I won't be buying the mobile apps anytime soon.

Also, high-dpi scaling can't be disabled on Arch Linux. I tried both using the AUR and downloading the app from your website. Neither respect the QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0 env variable whether I supply it on the command line or put it in runenpass.sh.

I really want this to work because KeePassX is poorly supported on mobile. Please fix these two issues and you'll have a customer for life.

By the way, all other applications I use on this machine look the way I want (small UI components for maximum information display), including KeePassX. Enpass looks very much out of place.

Edited by zigguratt
Adding information

(Almost) the same here - no matter if I try to import data from Keepass or even Lastpass...all folders are gone. And I have 646 entries, sorted in a lot of folders and subfolders.

Interesting matter of fact: I opened up a ticket concerning this issue and here's the answer:

" This issue has been forwarded to the development team so that they can check and resolve the issue asap. Till then please wait and co-operate with us."

So obviously it's Enpass itself that can't import folder structures...>:(

Hi @Matthias Buesing,

Sorry to hear about your trouble. We’ve been working hard to improve Enpass import capabilities, but it’s a big challenge for us to cover all of the password managers and their different data formats.

18 hours ago, Matthias Buesing said:

This issue has been forwarded to the development team so that they can check and resolve the issue asap. Till then please wait and co-operate with us."

We will check into this in coming release cycles.

Thanks for your co-operation.

I'd prefer open words: Enpass can't do it in the current version. 

No-go for me too - I'm out.

EDIT: I have to apologize myself. I was mislead by the default Enpass view ("all notes") and the different categories underneath. Beneath those all my folders have been imported...hooray :-))) I'd love to switch to Enpass because it sums the best of two worlds (functionality and UI from Lastpass and security and local/free sync from Keepass).

Hopefully the Chromebook version finally arrives soon...

Edited by Matthias Buesing

• 3 months later...

I have to jump into this old Discussion because its also a Show-Stopper for me with 2300 Keypass Entries:

Is there a Password Manager where Enpass is able to import also the folders without flatting the folder hierarchy ?

I could try to export from Keypass to that and then back to enpass. 

(I am to lazy to try ;) - I know that the Keypass Import in Lastpass works well - so what about the import to enpass from LastPass ?)

Though I would prefer that The Keypass-Import is fixed so that it does not flat the hierarchy - since it already does import folders properly this should not be a too big change

Hi @Mapapo,

Thanks for writing in. 

2 hours ago, Mapapo said:

Is there a Password Manager where Enpass is able to import also the folders without flatting the folder hierarchy ?

Sorry to say, No!  But this feature is already in our roadmap for future version.

2 hours ago, Mapapo said:

(I am to lazy to try ;) - I know that the Keypass Import in Lastpass works well - so what about the import to enpass from LastPass ?)

Though I would prefer that The Keypass-Import is fixed so that it does not flat the hierarchy - since it already does import folders properly this should not be a too big change

I would like to let you know in the next update there will be a new option to re-arrange folder by using drag &drop action in side bar, which will solve your problem.

Cheers!

Hi ,

Fortunately I don't have so many imported items that editing each is a show stopper, but it is annoying to be unable to properly associate an imported item with a suitable preexisting subcategory, eg. subcategory bank, under category finance.

I'd be OK if only I could edit the imported item category to select from the same pulldown menu of subcategories that is exposed when one creates a new item, instead of only the topmost category in the hierarcyhy. Fingers crossed for a forthcoming solution.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi @Anshu kumar,

are there any news here, why importing folders with the correct structure will be available. I'd like to change from KeePass to EnPass. But I've got 400 passwords with about 30 subfolders to manage. Without correct import this isn't possible.

Unfortunately, until now, there is no possibility to import KeePass XML Files (with correct groups/folders) into EnPass. Imagine how many users like to use EnPass, but can't, because the import doesn't work correctly :-)

Thanks for some news,

daemon

• Like 1

Hi,

Same problem here with ca. 600 KeePass Entries. It would be okay for me to drag the subfolders to the folders in the flattened hierarchy but to add the whole folder structure manually and to manually convert every entry into suitable (sub-)category is to time consuming.

Please:
1) Add conversion from template to another template e.g. Login to E-mail
2) Make folders draggable 
3) Make files moveable
4) Improve Keepass import so it imports the folder structure as well

I want to change to Enpass but this is to time consuming to me. 

Thanks for your great program anyway.
Curt

• 2 months later...

I am evaluating switching from Lastpass to Enpass.

I would like to repeat a sentiment already stated: Importing without folders is a show-stopper. I was evaluating different options and was close to pulling the trigger, now I am not sure.  

What's worse is that I would have been ok with something that is more manual than a "auto import" but less manual than going through 850 items and sorting them individually.  So, I tried the manual CSV import. What I was hoping to find is a "folder" attribute I can map a column in the csv to, and I would have been a happy-enough camper.  I am a developer myself and very much understand delays. But this seems really fundamental, especially for a smaller upstart trying to take on much bigger players (Lastpass, Dashlane, etc), an excellent migration experience is critical to get users to, you know, migrate. 

Now I have to do a little math: how long will this take (850 items, in many sub folders, and different item types), how much is my time worth, and how much more benefit am I getting vs the alternative(s)?

I think I have been convinced to renew Lastpass for another year...

Wish you all the luck in the world! I'll probably be looking at Enpass again next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I must agree with you.

I don't like LogMeIn company, I don't agree with their customer support, but I am LastPass user. I've been trying Enpass, because I would like to move to another solution, I found errors, some of them has been repaired, but it is very difficult to change company, which don't want hear users.

So I make same decision to renew LastPass subscription and I'm waiting wheather somebody at Sinew hear our voices. They don't need hear it, because I've paid them, and it is not enough, it looks. Maybe Sinew is moreless same as LogMeIn company.

• 4 months later...

I'm going to have to agree with most of the people here.  The lack of being able to import into a folder structure is really important.  Trying to import from lastpass and I've found the same as all the others.  I took a look at the csv that lastpass exports.  It clearly labels the folders in a "grouping" header.  I'm a developer as well, so as others have stated, I know it takes time to tackle all these issues.  I'll also echo @TheOnlyMerlin when I say in order to get people to switch, you need to make it easy for them.  This is not easy.  Thankfully I only have about 100 items, but I don't know if it's worth my time to manually add them to folders.

Another issue... I'm on Ubuntu 17.04 using a dark system them and a dark theme in firefox (v55).  The enpass desktop app and firefox extension don't play very nice with the dark system theme.  In the desktop app, I can't see the username because the text is white as well as the background.  In the firefox extension, I have the same problem with the options in the dropdown on the bottom right of the overlay / popup / whatever-you-call-it.

I had one other strange problem.  I deleted all the entries I had imported and tried to import the csv a second time.  For whatever reason I got some kind of error saying it couldn't find a lastpass export (or something to that effect).  I then copy and pasted the export (since lastpass opened it in my browser) into a csv in a different directory with a different name, and it worked just fine.  It was very strange behavior.

So after all the negativity, I *would* like to say "Way to go guys".  It's impressive how many platforms you guys are supporting.  And thank you for supporting Chromebook (even though you're doing it via Android  :-) ).  The fundamentals of the application feel solid.  I'm hoping you guys are working hot 'n heavy on this importing business.  Feels like you're losing a fair amount of potential customers because of it, and I'm really hoping you succeed.  You've got the start of a pretty good thing going.

Edited by fatforce5
Just realized something