Enpass Discussion Forum

Enpass Extension for Microsoft Edge Browser

Vikram Dabas

Hey Windows 10 users :D, I know many of you have been eagerly waiting for Enpass Extension for Edge Browser and guess what, I’ve got some great news here!

The development of Enpass Edge Extension is almost over and very soon we will release a Beta version of it exclusively for our Beta subscribers. The Extension will only work with Enpass Traditional Windows Application (not UWP app) and available for Windows Insider users.

If you are using Windows Insider then get your hands on Enpass Edge Extension by joining our Beta Program : https://www.enpass.io/beta-program/ 

Also have a glance of our all new Enpass Edge Extension. 

Cheers!

2.PNG

3.PNG

• Like 1

Have you considered making the beta list part of the forum profile somehow? It would be great to have some check boxes in the forum profile for the versions of the beta that you would like to be a part of. I, previously, signed up for the Windows beta, but it seems I may have been removed from the list when it was renamed to Traditional Windows (beta). 

Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for joining Enpass Beta Program.

On 10/06/2016 at 10:17 PM, JB Labelle said:

I am currently registered for Beta Program but did not receive any email.

I can understand how eagerly are you waiting for Edge Extension and we are doing our best to release it asap. It will work with Traditional Desktop version and currently is in Alpha Testing. Once we will roll out the Beta, you'll definitely get a mail with instructions to use it.

56 minutes ago, kevin.purcell said:

Have you considered making the beta list part of the forum profile somehow?

I, previously, signed up for the Windows beta, but it seems I may have been removed from the list when it was renamed to Traditional Windows (beta). 

Thanks for your valuable suggestion and it has been noted.

No, none of the Beta subscriber has been removed from the list. We have just renamed Windows platform as Traditional Windows. So if you had already enrolled yourself for Windows Beta testing, then you are still a proud member of Enpass Beta Program and you will definitely receive an email whenever there will a Beta for Windows desktop app.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's not quite up to team Enpass. "network isolation" has been a "feature" of RT/UWP since win 8. The beta version of Enpass and its related plugin for edge works fine, if you create a local exception, but if there is ANY app you wouldn't want to loosen security on, it's a web browser . . The only thing that sorta bugs me is why you (Enpass devs) promised a release. Where you taken by surprise to hear that exceptions for network isolation was meant only for debug and development , or have you heard from ms that had plans to allowing it in production / store apps ? 

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, parseinteger said:

How is it lastPass and Robo:Form can have extensions in Edge at this point but Enpass.io doesn't ? Is there some technical feat that needs to be accomplished here or is Enpass just waiting for Microsoft to do it for them ?

Read above. Edge, along with its UWP platform does its best to isolate apps from reaching other apps or processes running on the same machine (loopback).   for security concerns mainly. 

Lastpass and others have their users connect to their cloud to access secrets, hence no loopback communication, so no issue with Network Isolation in UWP

• Like 1

Exactly. Roboform is like Lastpass in the sense that you have to use an Everywhere account that is basically saving the encrypted database on their site.

If you are fine with that, both are a great option. Some however do not trust the password manager to store also the database itself. Either because of the risk of the software maker employee themselves or because it is a highly visible target for hackers as they are all the password of the users on one single location for a company that is doing only that (storing password).

So some people prefer to have the database stored locally or on their own cloud of choice. This is why Enpass is facing the same issue as 1Password to release a Edge extension that would not use this "trick". However, I am using the so-called beta Edge extension since July and it works mostly great. The only recurrent issue I have is the Enpass windows losing the front focus sometimes (so I have to recharge the extension so that the window would be visible).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ivarson said:
1 hour ago, Ivarson said:

Read above. Edge, along with its UWP platform does its best to isolate apps from reaching other apps or processes running on the same machine (loopback).   for security concerns mainly. 

Lastpass and others have their users connect to their cloud to access secrets, hence no loopback communication, so no issue with Network Isolation in UWP

Thanks for this, very, very helpful! Enpass is totally the best password manager out there IMO. But, I would counter with, Enpass allows you to backup your database to Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.. I know it is different in how Enpass stores and writes your data but if they are giving users the same options with your data that Lastpass and RoboForm do by default isn't that in itself the same thing ? I would have thought with Edge getting better and the fact that they now support extensions that Enpass would find a way to programmatically make this work.

10 minutes ago, parseinteger said:

Not the same, no. Although the differences are indeed being smoothed out with clientside hashing/encryption for lastpass etc.

But when using Enpass, even if I use Google Drive, I can rest asure that its just being used as a "dump transport-service", that is, Google never has a clue of the content of the file, but I can be assured that the file is available since the stability of Google's service in general. (i did use a local owncloud-instance first, but it felt overkill to dedicate a virtual owncloud-machine solely to a wallet-file for enpass :-)

One thing which indeed is intruging, maybe thats what you meant in the first Place. Wouldn't it be possible for devs here to write an Edge plugin, with the ability to open a wallet directly from a cloud-provider? That is, an Edge-plugin which pretty much acts like a complete Enpass-client itself.

In that case, I as an Win10 user and UWP-app customer, would only need the UWP app and the Edge app, not the desktop version.

• Like 1

The Edge plugin roadmap can be followed here https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/documentation/extensions/api-support/extension-api-roadmap/

No plans for loopback connectivity, but an "consideration" to be able to download files programmatically via plugin. Maybe the plugin could perform all necessary operation itself directly on the wallet? Either from original wallet file or network share as given the option in Sync options, or one downloaded from a cloud provider, fetched by the plugin itself. 

Having the plugin performing updates to the wallet such as changing password records might be overkill, one could do that stuff in native clients having it immediately synced by the plugin. 

Would be neat to hear the devs view on this. 

Hi All,

I am really glad to share that Microsoft is working on the required APIs to let applications like Enpass communicate with the Edge browser extension and they have shared a little details with us. Based on those details we have started the development but we will be in a state to announce any ETA only after Microsoft introduce these APIs in one of coming Insider versions. Till then, please bear with us!

Cheers

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I hate to sound like a broken record, and I know you all are hard at work... (Android O Beta, and all -- which if you get a chance to try, is pretty dang slick!)... but, any news for the updated Edge extension? I tweeted MSFT the other day and they said that the APIs have been implemented for a little while now. So here are my questions:

1. Any ETA or info regarding when a beta extension running with the new APIs might be available?

2. Will the new Edge extension run with both the UWP and Traditional Windows apps, or just one or the other?

3. If the extension runs with the UWP, will the UWP have to be open and running in order for the extension to work? Or, is it possible to setup the extension to work with an app that is closed... or even make the extension it's own UWP of sorts that has direct access to the database file or the cloud provider where it is stored. (but I digress)...

As a Windows Insider and a Beta tester for Enpass I would really like to test the new Extension out. Additionally, like others have said on the forum, I would like to see Enpass working with journalists to market themselves a little better.. you all have a stellar product, and people should know about it. I (and others) would love to contribute to development (after the purchase for various platforms, so some sort of donation system would be nice. And... A security audit would also be really nice... maybe at the same time that you make a marketing push. Like see if MSFT will feature Enpass in the Windows store for a few days, etc.

Most of all, thank you to the whole Enpass team for all of your hard work! Your product rocks! :x

• Like 3