Enpass Discussion Forum

Restore from backup without masterpassword

Aristide Insite

It seems that my master password has been corrupted since I last used enpass a few days ago

I mainly use enpass to store generic client data (I really like enpass's ability to customise my entries) and as such I am not storing any sensitive information therefore my master password was simply 'a' but as of this morning I am unable to login.  

I see that I have daily backups, however I need to be logged in to restore from these so I am wondering if there is anyway I can restore my enpass database to the most recent backup?

regards

Aristide A

Hi @Aristide Insite

Sorry to hear about the trouble. To restore the backup files please follow these steps:

I. App downloaded from Mac App store: 

• Quit Enpass (If running).
  • Go to User --> Library Folder--> Containers --> in.sinew.Enpass-Desktop --> Data folder--> Library--> walletx.db--> rename it as oldwalletx.db.

NOTE: Usually Library folder is hidden, so make it visible by pressing and holding the Option key.

II. App downloaded from Enpass website:

• Quit Enpass (If running). 
  • Go to User Documents --> Enpass folder--> Rename it as OldEnpass.
  1. Now open Enpass it will start fresh as a new app.
  2. Now select Restore my existing data --> Select Backup files and follow the instruction.

Hope this helps!

Hi me again

It happened again and I am pretty sure it gets corrupted when you reboot without closing the app down using a short password (in this case 'a').

You may want to see if you can duplicate the issue on your side.

I will try using a longer password and see if it happens again 

Edited by Aristide Insite

Hi @Aristide Insite

Sorry to hear that you are repetitively having trouble in unlocking keychain. Please have a look at our page listing some of the troubleshooting steps for the master password not working.

Also, please share some more info so that we can diagnose where the problem could be.

• Which OSX and Enpass version are you using?
  • Which cloud services are you using to sync?
  • Have you changed the default location of Enpass database?
  • Have you imported data from any other software?
  • In which language along with its keyboard layout are using for Enpass?

Awaiting your response. 

Hi

I am using OSX Sierra 10.12.6

I synced with google drive

I have not changed the default location of the Enpass db. It is located at <user>/Documents/Enpass

I did not import any data from any other password app

I am using an Australian keyboard layout and have selected 'Match Device Language' for 'Language' under the Advanced tab.

I can send you the oldwalletx.db if it helps. Just send me an email to send it to.

thanks again for your help

regards

Aristide Asprogerakas

Edited by Aristide Insite