Enpass Discussion Forum

Master Password not working

akash8

I have an Enpass account, which was working fine in my desktop and Android phone, but suddenly my desktop crashed so I had to reinstall everything. When I downloaded the app and tried to use the backup file I had in Google Drive, it doesn't work anymore, it says my Master Password is wrong. I'm only able to use in Android with fingerprint option. How can I get back the Master Password to add the data to the new installation in the desktop. Thanks.

@akash8 
Welcome to the Enpass forums.

Enpass requires a master password if the user is setting up sync with a cloud account where there is an existing Enpass data. However, in case if you lose or forget the master password, it is impossible to setup sync with the same cloud account.
Now, as you have access to the data on the Android device, you can manually share each item from Enpass in Android with Enpass on the desktop. You will have to setup a new primary vault on the desktop and then add each shared item into the vault. Please refer the user guide here for info on sharing items in Enpass.

• Like 1

Hi @akash8,

Did you try the master password on both of your devices - Android and desktop? If you still see the same error, then it is very likely that you are using an incorrect master password.

You might want to try copy and pasting the password from a text editor to make sure you are using the correct password. 

Thank you. 

Thanks guys for your help. The Google backup data had my previous password for Enpass and I was able to enter the right one and now syncs with the newer password. Thanks again for your help. 

These are the steps I took in the newly installed Windows 10 OS system when I had to add Enpass:

1. Download Enpass for Desktop 

2. Logon to Enpass.

3. Downloaded old Enpass data from Google Drive

4. In Enpass I added the backup data (which might or might not have the same current Enpass word, try the older as well as the newer one, in my case it had the older password).

5. Then clicked the sync option in vault settings.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Edited by akash8
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

If the master password isn't working on your device, then you can restore your database via cloud sync. To reset Enpass, rename the Enpass folder where all the Enpass files are saved. For Traditional Windows, Mac (the website version) and Linux app, the default location of Enpass data are in Documents.

Same issue here. Win 7. Cloned my failing system drive to new SSD system drive. Enpass no longer works. Installed "last stable older version" 5.6.10 of Enpass. What I have tried: (1) When I try restoring the vault from Google Drive, as soon as I enter the password, it crashes. (2) When I try restoring the vault from a backup file, when I enter the password, it says "Incorrect Password." (3) When I try "I am a new user" and enter a password (any password, not just the correct one), it says "Vault location cannot be found change to default location" with a button that says "Change to Default" and then sends me back to the start screen. (4) I wanted to try to create a new empty vault to which I can add items, but there is no way to do that without entering a password first.

Spouse runs Enpass on her Mac with no problems. I tried changing the old master password on her installation, then syncing to Google Drive, saving a backup and also exporting three different ways. The new master password is no good on my system either. I tried uninstalling Enpass on my system, including deleting every file that I could find that refers to Enpass, plus running Ccleaner to try to purge it from the registry, somehow hoping to get a clean install of Enpass, but nothing made any difference.  There is nothing I know to do to get Enpass to run on my system.

UPDATE: Problem solved. Here's what happened. In my box I have one SSD system drive and two hard drives. I also have an external USB hard drive. Years ago I assigned drive letters W, X and Z to these drives. I turns out that, in the process of pulling out one drive and attaching my new SSD to be the clone target, Windows decided to change all my drive letter assignments (except C). I figured this out in the process of fixing other little issues that were coming up. Then I thought, could this be what is confusing Enpass? Once I reassigned my drives, I tried to sync with Google Drive. It didn't crash but it said incorrect password. Then I tried restoring from the backup, and that worked.

Edited by RH3
Problem got solved.