Enpass Discussion Forum

detect urls in Brave Browser, Firefox

intuxikated

Brave is a chrome based browser, which blocks ads and trackers by default.

currently enpass detects it as brave.com, regardless of which website you're on, instead of correctly identifying the website URL like it is able to do in Chrome
it's probably implemented the same way as chrome currently is, since some other password managers are correctly detecting URL's for brave browser
in firefox it doesn't seem to detect anything at all, regardless of which website you're on.
however firefox on android also supports browser extensions, maybe you could add a FFmobile compatible browser extension which communicates with the android app.

Kind regards,

intuxikated

Guest Akash Vyas

Hey @intuxikated

Autofill with Notifications works only with those browsers which provide proper accessibility events. This technical limitation is preventing us from auto filling in other browsers (Brave and FireFox, in your case) and that's why you've to search and fill the details. However, you can use the Enpass Keyboard to autofill instead.

Cheers!

as far as i'm aware, it can still be made to work without special accessibility events. other password managers are able to correctly fill in credentials in these browsers.
some of them have public source code (GPL licenced) which show how they do it.
some references: code which detects the URL fields in browsers if it detects an application name that's a browser in it's list (it's a xamarin app, so it's c# code):

https://github.com/bitwarden/mobile/blob/master/src/Android/AutofillService.cs#L260

list of browsers and corresponding urlbar field names:

https://github.com/bitwarden/mobile/blob/master/src/Android/AutofillService.cs#L24
so this should definitely be possible to implement.

i understand that the current implementation might have some limitations, but you should still be able to work around those limitations by detecting the URL fields in the apps.

kind regards

intuxikated

Edited by intuxikated
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 10/5/2017 at 4:05 AM, Guest Akash Vyas said:

Hey @intuxikated

Autofill with Notifications works only with those browsers which provide proper accessibility events. This technical limitation is preventing us from auto filling in other browsers (Brave and FireFox, in your case) and that's why you've to search and fill the details. However, you can use the Enpass Keyboard to autofill instead.

Cheers!

Other password managers like 1Password have started supporting Brave. Specifically, I run it on my iOS and my Macs. Will Enpass be supporting Brave. This is the only reason I won't upgrade to your system yet. Thanks.