Enpass Discussion Forum

Windows Hello doesn't work on system boot, must restart Enpass

PGTipz

I have the same external TPM2.0 Module in my desktop PC as the others (Infineon). It also doesnt work for me. But I have a Surface Pro X (ARM) where the full-time Hello works in Enpass.

The TestApp that you provided outputs this on the desktop PC:

13:55:14.2142880 HelloSupported::True
13:55:14.2252865 KCM::OpenStatus::NotFound
13:55:14.2252865 KCM::OpenFailed::RequestingCreate.
13:55:19.3764583 KeyRetrievalStatus::Success
13:55:19.3914589 GetAttestationStatus::NotSupported

As I already pointed out in the Beta forum, the issue might be related to the Infineon TPM. 

https://discussion.enpass.io/index.php?/topic/21265-say-hello-to-full-time-windows-hello-with-enpass-beta-ver-650/&do=findComment&comment=38797

I was not able to get it to work with Infineon. Only after I swapped it for a Nuvoton TPM, it started to work immediately. 

In my case, Windows was throwing a certificate error for the Infineon TPM on each reboot. Look at your Windows event log if you see something like that once per reboot. That error was not related to Enpass at all, but to something which appears to be actually a problem of the TPM firmware itself. Even after clearing the TPM, the issue remained. The error said, that "public and private key are not cryptographically bound", which as far as I understood is one of the main things for which Enpass is looking. It was also showing an Infineon URI in the details tab and said that something is wrong with that. 

Because this error was gone with Nuvoton TPM, and Enpass was also with that, I assume this is an issue of Infineons implementation. 

I also did a bit of research on this error and what it basically means is, that the TPM cannot provide attestation anymore that the private key was really generated by the TPM and never left it. Which appears to be crucial for Enpass Hello support. I saw that everyone posting screenshots is having Infineon TPM, which is why I think that might be the issue. 

Edited by tox1c90

After rebooting Enpass login only works after stopping it via task manager and then restarting

Enpass was starting up fine for over a year until about 1 week ago. Now, only after rebooting, Enpass starts up with the 'unlock with windows hello' screen, but without the usual additional prompt to scan my fingerprint. I also do not get any other options to enter the master password instead. My only work around is to go into the Windows Task Manager, stop the Enpass process there and then restart Enpass - then it works as before! I am not aware of any major system updates in the last few days that could have caused this. Grateful for any help on the matter

394631190_mitwindowsentsprerren.thumb.jpg.1528c31f93de458e888b130ea5fc4155.jpg

hi everyone, after updating to version 6.6.0 I have the same situation as Volks, unlocking with Windows Hello from problems. Enpass must always be restarted for this to work.
Before the update it always worked.
Is it possible to have the previous version? Thank you.

Edited by Eman

On 2/14/2021 at 12:45 PM, Volkx said:

After rebooting Enpass login only works after stopping it via task manager and then restarting

Enpass was starting up fine for over a year until about 1 week ago. Now, only after rebooting, Enpass starts up with the 'unlock with windows hello' screen, but without the usual additional prompt to scan my fingerprint. I also do not get any other options to enter the master password instead. My only work around is to go into the Windows Task Manager, stop the Enpass process there and then restart Enpass - then it works as before! I am not aware of any major system updates in the last few days that could have caused this. Grateful for any help on the matter

394631190_mitwindowsentsprerren.thumb.jpg.1528c31f93de458e888b130ea5fc4155.jpg

I have the exact same problem on my computer for some days, maybe one week.
Enpass received a small update on Feb 6th (6.60.770.0) via Microsoft Store.
Windows 10 20H2 too on Feb 9th (KB4601050).
Is it liked to some of these updates?
I don't know but I saw that connecting on Windows via fingerprint/Hello turned a bit erratic these last days...

• Sad 1

I also have this problem on Surface Pro 7. After restart of Windows the Camera is switched on, but Windows Hello doesn´t show up. Enpass displays the screen Volkx showed two posts above. It takes a minute or two until the camera switches off. Then I can open enpass again with windows hello.

I also have this problem. Luckily I didn't update on my second PC from Enpass 6.5 to Enpass 6.6 (Windows updates are up to date) so I can confirm that it is not an Windows but an Enpass error. Unless Enpass doesn't fix this issue in the near future, I will have to switch to a better Password Manager as users already recommended where such big errors only happen in beta-versions and stable-versions are working fine

• 2 weeks later...

In my case, the store version works fine with the fingerprint reader in my laptop Gigabyte AERO, but since recent updates, it doesn't show me the Windows Hello for fingerprint reader after Windows starts. I have to close Enpass and open it again and now it works fine.

In previous versions, this didn't occur.

On 2/18/2021 at 9:29 AM, Pratyush Sharma said:

Hi All,

I understand your concern and apologies for the trouble you face after the latest update in using Windows Hello. Our team is working on this issue, and We'll keep you update once we hear from them. Till then, we will request you to please co-operate with us.

Hello Pratyush, 

Apart from the described issue with hello windows not engaging and other options not being available at times ever since the last update unlock times seem to have nearly doubled on my surface pro 6. 

Restoring previous speed would be appreciated. 

Urs 

My installation is similar. Unlocking the app using Windows Hello at the beginning of a Windows session works fine, but after locking and unlocking the screen, or after many hours, I am unable to make the Windows Hello authentication run. This appears but nothing for me to click to start Windows Hello!

image.png.6e08bb79a457ea6793740f6ec0ef0cf8.png

You need to add a button that starts a Windows Hello login session, or else offer us an alternative login method on this screen. 

Even clicking this "Open Enpass" in the system notification icon makes no difference. The app window above appears when I click this, but again, there's no Windows Hello interaction:

image.png.5c9893a0ffa129944cd985ed81d658c6.png

Version I'm running:

image.png.a296d4f90d46dadd2f8fe4238b2ed3ac.png

The only way I can login is to Quit the app in the system notification tray and start again. It's very frustrating!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, when Enpass starts for the first time when my laptop boots, it gets stuck on the "Login with Windows Hello" message, but doesn't show the actual Windows Hello prompt itself. I have to restart Enpass manually, then it'll work. I can reproduce this issue each time my system boots up.

Edited by BSoD38

I came here looking into the same issue.

Windows Hello unlock in Enpass works fine the first few times, and then at some point Enpass seems to stop 'triggering' the Windows Hello auth feature and only solution is to Quit Enpass and relaunch. At that point, Windows Hello will work the first few times.. rinse and repeat.

As @gpf pointed out, there is no way to manually trigger Windows Hello from the locked Enpass app.

Windows 10 Pro 20H2 19042.867 and Enpass 6.6.0 from Microsoft Store.