Enpass Discussion Forum

Chrome Extension Doesn't Work with VPN with Split Tunneling

Plexion

Hi, I am using the Enpass Chrome Extension on Windows 10 2004 x64, with a VPN that has split-tunneling/application whitelisting feature, e.g. ProtonVPN, ExpressVPN, Surfshark, etc.

The Chrome extension is unable to connect to the Enpass desktop app whenever the split-tunneling feature is enabled in the VPN, even though the VPN is disconnected.

The logs just goes on and on like this:

• 11/2/2020, 9:23:36 PM : Connecting using websocket
  • 11/2/2020, 9:23:36 PM : Opening connection on ws://127.0.0.1:10391
  • 11/2/2020, 9:23:36 PM : Opening connection on ws://127.0.0.1:10392
  • 11/2/2020, 9:23:36 PM : Opening connection on ws://127.0.0.1:10393
  • 11/2/2020, 9:23:36 PM : Opening connection on ws://127.0.0.1:10394
  • 11/2/2020, 9:23:36 PM : Opening connection on ws://127.0.0.1:10395

It is a hassle to turn the split-tunneling feature on and off each time I need to use Enpass. 

I noticed that the Enpass extension works just fine in Microsoft Edge v86 (Chromium Edge), no matter if the extension is installed from the Chrome or Microsoft extension webstores.

Is there any way that it can be done to make the extension work in Chrome as well?

Edited by Plexion

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey @Plexion

We are extremely sorry for the trouble you have been facing from a long time.

Enpass does not connect to internet for using browser extension, it connects on local-host. So in theory it should work if both browser extension and enpass can find each other on same machine. To understand the issue better, please share the below detail-

• How you're using split tunneling feature?
  • Are you excluding just the browser or excluding both Enpass and browser?
  • Which particular VPN app are you using?

Hi @Garima Singh,

I am using the split tunneling feature by selecting only tunnel Microsoft Edge browser through the VPN.

I am including only the Microsoft Edge browser, and nothing else, which includes the Chrome browser that I am using Enpass on.

I am using Surfshark VPN on Windows 10.

Please let me know if you require more info.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Plexion,

We tried the split tunneling feature with protonvpn windows, added Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome to split tunneling via settings, and connected to Enpass and normally used extension.This was tested with both VPN on and off.
Our app listens on local-host, and the extension itself tries to connect to Enpass on local-host. So there shouldn't be any problem unless your VPN client is interfering with Enpass itself.
You can try to put Enpass and browser both on split tunneling or both off split tunneling feature. Maybe that'll allow both of them to discover each other. 
To check if Enpass is actively listening for extension messages, you can check by opening Resource Monitor - win+R to open Run and typing resmon.exe and pressing enter, then go to the Network tab and see if Listening Ports has Enpass.exe listed in it. It'll be likely listening on TCP 10391 port. You can also see Firewall permissions there, and they should be 'Allowed, not restricted.'

Thanks for your co-operation.