Enpass Discussion Forum

Enpass Backups

JJK

How many backup files are recommended to keep on my system?

I'm exceptionally happy with this product and have no issues to date.

I use auto backups and do manual backups when ever I add or modify data on the Enpass system.

I noticed the auto backups are "daily" and therefore the backup folder is growing by 500k for each backup.

It would be nice to have auto backups at various frequencies (e.g., daily, monthly, quarterly, annually).

I could just keep the latest backup and perhaps also keep one backup for each month for a years worth of backups.

What do others typically do or recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Jim K

Hey @JJK

Thanks for writing to us.

Currently, in Enpass, there is no option to select sync frequency as it gets triggered automatically in below cases-

• Every time you unlock your Enpass keychain, an auto-sync is initiated. (If Sync is turned on).
  • Auto-sync also happens after every 15 secs, while the app is in the foreground.
  • When you save any change in item details or master password, Enpass waits for 5 secs and initiates an auto-sync.

For more details, refer to this link. Also, we noted your feedback.

Thanks for the valuable suggestion.

JJK

I have four 'copies' of the vault. The active vault file (used by the Enpass desktop), the cloud stored vault (auto-synced by the Enpass desktop) and the Autobackup file(s) that I also independently sync to a different cloud storage service.   

The vault is setup with a keyfile which I also back up and independently encrypt, as it is purely a text file. Using a separate keyfile I know the cloud stored backups can't be opened without my email address, master password 'and' the keyfile.

I often clear out older backups from the auto-backup folder to limit the folder's size over time.

If you wished to keep much older versions of previous backup files you could simply upload those to a separate cloud storage service (dedicated to just those files). If you wished to later free up the space on your computer just go to your cloud and manually move older backups out of the 'sync' folder and into a separate cloud-only 'archive' folder. I would only do that if the vault was secured with a keyfile 'and' the e-mail address used for that cloud account was 'not' the same address as for your Enpass account. With only backup files in the cloud and a different e-mail address; if the account was hacked, the hackers would have no personal information they could use to link the backup files to you. They would simply find multiple encrypted files that couldn't be opened or used.

Edited by Thoughts?