Enpass Discussion Forum

Store Attachments in the Vault

yeradis

Option to store  (and protect of course) Pictures - Photos or Images on Enpass

Store pictures like "Secure Photo" (mimiking Secure Note) or something like that

Store pictures as "New Items" ... when you add a new item, another in the list can be "Picture"

But even more, every type of added element should allow to add a picture, that's useful for example for when you add a credit card, a club card, a check, a bill, a handwritten note... etc.

maybe allowing to add it as a "custom field" thought "add new field" action.... there is a "Field Type"

Thats my request

• Like 17

For the next Release it should be a must to have the possibility to store Attachments (PDFs etc) in the Vault. This Feature is very importent.

A lot of alternate Passwort Manager can do this for a long Time ago.

Thanks in Advance

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8. April 2016 at 1:22 PM, Plonqor said:

A good idea I think would be to create a new category File, with sub categories image, document, etc. 

I guess this would significantly increase the size of the database file. Something to keep in mind. 

Yes it would be helpfull to attach documents or files of any type.

There was already created a feature request for attachments (see below)

Coming back to your sentence of the DB size. Of course it will increase it, but nowadays we cane compress the data before saving it. Next I think, that the important documents, which you want to save in Enpass are small (In my case each file is some kilobytes big). So the DB will not increas significant. If you have to store bigger data or all data you have, then encrypt your hard drive and only store the private key in Enpass.

I would like to store the private keys of PGP, SSH to give you an example in Enpass. ATM I have stored them in Keepass.

Enpass is already a powerful password manager and I like it. So thank you guys for providing this nice manager.

• Like 1

With my opinion then Enpass should not support this feature, they should create new product.

I only save password, info, note... so I like small size for upload/download from/to cloud. If we need save image then we can save into cloud or zip with protected password and save that password into Enpass.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Binh Truong said:

With my opinion then Enpass should not support this feature, they should create new product.

I only save password, info, note... so I like small size for upload/download from/to cloud. If we need save image then we can save into cloud or zip with protected password and save that password into Enpass.

I don't agree with you. To give you an example:

When you buy a software, you normally get a serial-number (which you can already save it in Enpass). But some software are providing a license-file instead of a serial number. This files are very small and I don't want to store dem separate in a encrypted folder. As I have written previously, for bigger data we can use encrypted folder, but license-files or key-files have in opinion the same priority as passwords.

Another point is the sync with the cloud. I don't know, how the development-team have implemented the sync function, but nowadays it's possible to sync only the changes between two files. Next today we have highspeed Internet and so the sync takes some seconds.

The last point (I don't want to attack you) if this feature is implemented, nobody forces you to use it. So if you don't attach documents to Enpass, the DB of Enpass will stay at the same size as it is now. It's fine that you only store passwords in Enpass, but in my case some files(cert,...) are used to authenticate me on some services. These files are used like passwords and for this reason I also want to store it in the same location as all my other passwords.

• Like 7

Hi!

I just created this account to support this feature request. I work in IT and use RSA keys for SSH connections all the time. Would be great to have them attached to enpass. I migrated my passwords from keepass and this would be the last feature to make me completely change to enpass.

Best regards

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have created an account on the forum to just request for this feature.

A lot of times when you create account on various sites, you are required to fill security questions and answers. At times these can be upto 5 security question/answers. Though I can type them in the Enpass entry and save in the current versions, but I would like to simply take a screengrab and attach it to the Enpass login record. That's my use case!

I think this is a required feature. There are many things that don't fit in regular fields: SSH keys, authentication certs and keys, other secrets.

Anyone from Enpass team care to give their view or an update?

As a suggestion, attached files (chiefly binary files such as images) could go on a separate file from the main wallet; perhaps even one encrypted file for each attachment, or for all attachments of any particular item. That would speed up syncing as the database size grows.

3 hours ago, Cassiano Leal said:

I think this is a required feature. There are many things that don't fit in regular fields: SSH keys, authentication certs and keys, other secrets.

Anyone from Enpass team care to give their view or an update?

As a suggestion, attached files (chiefly binary files such as images) could go on a separate file from the main wallet; perhaps even one encrypted file for each attachment, or for all attachments of any particular item. That would speed up syncing as the database size grows.

Hi @Cassiano Leal,

as you can read above, it already was decided to attach any kind of file and not only images.

I disagree with your suggestion. First if you copy the wallet to a different location, you must verify that you copied all attachments. Next if the program use absolute paths, then you will get an error after copying it somewhere else.

For syncing: As I have already written it in the post above, it is possible to sync only the difference of the file and not the whole file! I'm not sure if Enpass is using this function, but I think so.

At the end your suggestion is more work for all, the developer to implement a function, which create encrypted attachments is a external file (I mean with external outside of the wallet) and for us customer, because we must be carefully, when we copy the wallet. Some people don't trust the cloud at all and manually copy the wallet to the different clients; Copying a single file is easier. On developer side it's easier to have all files in the wallet, because you only have to verfiy if the wallet is valid and not the whole attachments files... I don't to say more specific things, because I think it is clear, what I want to say.

Hi all,

Interesting discussion. Just to spice up the matter I would like to add few points 

We do not use delta/diff uploads. If a newer file is detected, sync-engine downloads the whole file from the cloud. After syncing the whole file is uploaded to cloud. Reason being, no cloud other than Dropbox supports delta uploads/downloads.

So, a single (all-in-one) monolith database will impact sync performance and data cost. However, one file per attachment will also hamper sync performance/reliability when no. of attachments grow.

In my personal opinion, Bigger attachments (images/pdfs) are big no-no for inclusion in main database and must go in separate database. However, there must be an option to allow inclusion of small attachments(<5KB) in main database.

BTW, we will start the development for attachments support very soon in the best possible manner. Your suggestions are always welcome.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2016 at 3:15 AM, Peter said:

For the next Release it should be a must to have the possibility to store Attachments (PDFs etc) in the Vault. This Feature is very importent.

A lot of alternate Passwort Manager can do this for a long Time ago.

Thanks in Advance

I agree one hundred percent. I would pay for this if you had it. That's the only reason why I dislike Enpass. I use it everyday, but I'm waiting for the attachment figure to come.

Edited by Waltdog72080

• 2 weeks later...

I also think this would be useful  to save for example a scan of a passport or as mentioned earlier, keyfiles. But for small files only or the walletfile would become way to big to sync fast.

For larger files there exist other encryption solutions such as veracrypt.

Edited by theEngineer

• 3 weeks later...

On 22 May 2016 at 2:05 PM, edenhaus said:

Hi @Cassiano Leal,

as you can read above, it already was decided to attach any kind of file and not only images.

I disagree with your suggestion. First if you copy the wallet to a different location, you must verify that you copied all attachments. Next if the program use absolute paths, then you will get an error after copying it somewhere else.

For syncing: As I have already written it in the post above, it is possible to sync only the difference of the file and not the whole file! I'm not sure if Enpass is using this function, but I think so.

At the end your suggestion is more work for all, the developer to implement a function, which create encrypted attachments is a external file (I mean with external outside of the wallet) and for us customer, because we must be carefully, when we copy the wallet. Some people don't trust the cloud at all and manually copy the wallet to the different clients; Copying a single file is easier. On developer side it's easier to have all files in the wallet, because you only have to verfiy if the wallet is valid and not the whole attachments files... I don't to say more specific things, because I think it is clear, what I want to say.

Hi @edenhaus,

Great thing that all kinds of files will be attachable.

Now, I've never suggested that the separate files reside on arbitrary locations. The "wallet" could be a bundle, like a directory composed by many files, entirely managed by the Enpass application. So I'm not suggesting to create anything *outside* the wallet, but rather expand the concept of the wallet to a file tree instead of only a file. This way the deltas could also be made smaller by splitting the main wallet into several smaller blocks, but that's for another discussion.

You mentioned "if the program use absolute paths". Well, let me just say that, as a software and operations engineer, if I ever find out that Enpass is using absolute paths for *anything*, I'll ask for a refund of what I have already paid and cash out on the more expensive 1password or another alternative. Reason being that it would be sheer incompetence to do that, and I could not with my sane mind trust my passwords and other secrets to an app written by engineers who do that.

Your last paragraph is also moot, because, again, I've never suggested having files dropped in arbitrary locations. I suggested separate files, which is a completely different thing.

Also... More work for the developers? They are going to go through all the process of analysing, designing, breaking down into stories/specs/whatever they use to track activities, etc. Surely however they choose to implement this will require quite a bit of work, so making it work well and play well with syncs is probably a good acceptance criterion.

Also, by having large attachments as separate files, they can potentially be lazily loaded, which is great for mobile devices.

I hope that makes what I wanted to say clearer.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Enpass looks really great and i planned to migrate my entire database from 1Password. I have tested the desktop client + the iPhone client and have figured out, that i can't put attachments to the database. Storing attachments is a *very* important feature, i'm wondering why this is not implemented yet. 

So my +1 for this request. I'll be come back if this feature is available.

Edit: I'm pleased about the very fair pricing!

Edited by bitethis

• 1 month later...

Yes. I also joined this forum as a regular Enpass user to request attachments. I have several PDF scans of receipts and PNG scans of license, passport, etc. that are currently held in another password manager.  

1Password and Keeper already allow attachments. 

Not having this feature on Enpass is why I do not use it entirely and consistently. 

Edited by Poincare