Enpass Discussion Forum

Store Attachments in the Vault

yeradis

3 hours ago, Vikram Dabas said:

The reason for this restriction is that currently Enpass saves both database and attachments in the same file, and to maintain the sync efficiency, we put this limitation. But this restriction will be removed in the upcoming major version, where attachments will not reside in Enpass keychain file and will be saved as a different file.

Thanks, that's all I wanted -- a reassurance that this limitation will be removed!

I'm switching from KeePass for the only reason that Enpass has better user interface and support. My KeePass database (stored as a single file) currently is around 11MB, most of which are of course attachments (many over 200KB). And I've never had issues syncing this file via Dropbox to my phone.

But I agree - the approach of keeping everything obviously doesn't scale well. As My1 suggests, it may be a good idea to split the attachment database into smaller chunks. Though cloud syncing tools nowadays are smart and only upload the differences if possible (not the entire file). If the Enpass database doesn't change much when a new file is added/deleted, then it should be fine.

well some clouds do delta uploads, but the problem is that not all clouds support that, also for delta uploads you have to make the encryption in a way that delta works because depending on the encryption algorithm, the parts that come later may be heavily influenced by what came before so changing an early attachment would instantly change pretty much everything else making delta uploads impossible

• 3 weeks later...
On 7.4.2017 at 4:56 PM, Iliyan said:

Thanks, that's all I wanted -- a reassurance that this limitation will be removed!

I'm switching from KeePass for the only reason that Enpass has better user interface and support. My KeePass database (stored as a single file) currently is around 11MB, most of which are of course attachments (many over 200KB). And I've never had issues syncing this file via Dropbox to my phone.

But I agree - the approach of keeping everything obviously doesn't scale well. As My1 suggests, it may be a good idea to split the attachment database into smaller chunks. Though cloud syncing tools nowadays are smart and only upload the differences if possible (not the entire file). If the Enpass database doesn't change much when a new file is added/deleted, then it should be fine.

@Iliyan For the time being, until this restriction goes away, you can use a workaround if you need it. Split the file you want to save with a packer like WinRAR into 200kb archives and save them that way. I tired and it seems like you can save as many 200kb files under one key as you want. :)