Enpass Discussion Forum

Quick Unlock Feature for Desktop Apps (Mac + Windows PC)

earl.grey

Hi Enpass Team & Community.

I just recently switched from SafeInCloud to Enpass. Im Happy but i miss one feature.

The possibility to quick Unlock the Enpass Vault on MacOS or Windows PC without typing in all the time the Master Password.

in Mobile Apps i can use Fingerprint or an PIN Code. On Desktop Apps i can just use the Master Password. This is annoying when using a long secure Master Password.

Of course i know that its less secure to use a PIN Code as an alternative log in method, but  i think it should be at least optional possible. So every enpass user can decide for themself if the want to use it. Here are my suggestions:

1)When activating the optional Quick Unlock Feature on Windows + Mac prompt a message that its less secure than using the Master Password

2)Quick Unlock is just possible after initially typing in the Master Password. From this point on if the Vault gets locked due to inactivity you can use the Quick Unlock Method to unlock your vault (no time limitation). If you shutdown Enpass or Restart your computer, the Master Password is necessary again to login initially to your Enpass Vault

3) 4 or 6 or 8 digit PIN Code is necessary. Alternatively: First or Last 4 characters of you Master Password.

Give your user the Possibility to choose how they want to unlock their vault. If quick unlock is ok for Mobile Apps, please make them available for desktop apps aswell.

Thank you

Hi @earl.grey,

Welcome to Enpass Family!

Thanks for the suggestion. We always Love to know what users are looking for in Enpass. Quick unlock for desktop version is already there in our roadmap but your additional comments will really help us in designing it in better way. I can't say when these changes will be implemented but it will certainly be considered and discussed.

Thanks again. 
Have a wonderful day!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very interested in enpass and I've tried it again now that you've implemented "full time Windows Hello". Unfortunately, the "Windows PC" version of enpass does not support Hello at all, and UWP enpass does not support browser extensions.

Would you please bring "full time Windows Hello" to the Windows PC version of enpass? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly thank you guys for an awesome program!  I'd like to know if it's possible to have the desktop version require a PIN if it  has been backgrounded.  I understand for security it will require the master password on reboots or restarts.   But it's a major pain to input in my huge master password every single time, especially on a touch tablet with the touch keyboard!!!  Please consider adding PIN support for the desktop.  I have tried the UWP app but I'm very confused.  It seems the desktop program has most of the great functionality, so I'm confused why I should purchase the UWP app?  I know it has windows hello support, and I like that on my surface pro 4, but I'm ok with just using a PIN.  But it seems the UWP version is missing quite a bit such as extension support, I'm not sure if it has autofill though.

Back to the desktop version, it's very nice.  The UI settings are awesome, I have a 40" 4k monitor and setting it at 300 works perfectly.  Extensions in Edge are working great so far and autofill seems to be working well.  Once again I'd love to have edge extension support for the UWP app and assume it's on your roadmap

Also please consider a dark theme for the desktop version.  Lastly it isn't a money issue as I have no issue paying you for your hard work, I just feel that if you could somehow merge the UWP and desktop programs together it would be worth the money.  I understand you can't literally merge them, but I assume you know what I mean. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2016 at 9:07 AM, Anshu kumar said:

Hi @earl.grey,

Welcome to Enpass Family!

Thanks for the suggestion. We always Love to know what users are looking for in Enpass. Quick unlock for desktop version is already there in our roadmap but your additional comments will really help us in designing it in better way. I can't say when these changes will be implemented but it will certainly be considered and discussed.

Thanks again. 
Have a wonderful day!

Hi @Anshu kumar,

Thanks for considering this feature.  One option that would reduce the need to have a quick unlock option for the desktop version would be to have the ability to have the lock times (set for system idle or empass idle) hold through the OS sleep/wakeup and lockscreen cycles.  This might even be more secure then implementing a quick unlock for the desktop and you wouldn't have to retype your password everytime you unlock your computer.

Under security settings in the desktop version there is an option to set the time to autolock enpass after a certain time idle period for either the system or the enpass application itself.  However, if your desktop goes to the lock-screen before this idle period is up enpass will be locked as well and require you to enter your master password before you can use the app again.  I would love to see a setting or check box that would allow enpass to stay unlocked for the entirety of the set idle period regardless of whether the operating system goes to a lock-screen or not.   

Edited by backskatter

@Anshu kumar

One option would be to publish the desktop app in the Store using Project Centennial. When you publish apps with Project Centennial you can reference and use UWP apis from desktop apps. That should make it possible to use Windows Hello apis from the desktop app. Another option would be to try to host the service in the current UWP app (maybe using some background task, but I'm not 100% on how that would work, if at all possible).

• Like 1

Hi @Anshu kumar

few weeks passed now after my initial request, and as you see i am not the only user which struggles for the desktop app without PIN feature. Is there any progress if/when you are implementing this feature?

And another question:

Why is it from a security perspective ok to have PIN Unlock for your mobile apps (iOS/Android), but for your Desktop Apps you say its a security flaw?

Thanks for the update and the clarification and hope to see this feature in the future.

Beste Wishes

• 1 month later...