Enpass Discussion Forum

Add posibility (very nervous)

pauloirply

Hello.
Dear Enpass team.
Judging by the number of topics that relate to the organization of storing password records, you are simply confused about what you are doing, and as of now you are only aggravating everything.
I believe that there are things that are familiar to everyone, and formed a very long time.
For example. each of you has files stored on your PC, and they are stored in some directories. each directory has its own name, making it much easier for you to quickly access a particular file.
I agree with your logic regarding the development of data systematization, if you show me that on your PC all files are stored in the root and that you are constantly tagging new files to look for any of them ...
Agree is it expensive?
Why not leave everyone the familiar structure of their password database organization?
why not give users the freedom to choose how they organize their data?
99% of password managers do just that. Why then be so perverted and try to speak in white = black?
Give users the ability to create an ABSOLUTELY empty password database without your predefined categories and so on. And I'm not telling you that it is possible to turn off your default categories, but to delete them completely! "
Ultimately your company offers inconvenient software.
I was hoping to get used to the logic of your program, but alas.
I will say more, I bought the full version, and as of now I regret it.
Let me add that if keepass had native synchronization tools, then acquaintance with your product might not have taken place.
Summarizing such a long story, I ask you to pay attention to what users want, not what your developers think is right or appropriate. Or, all the same, let each user build their base from scratch. create a database without pre-installed templates, categories, tags.

Hi @pauloirply

Sorry, I almost completely disagree with you, and for you to say that the Sinew staff are 'confused' because they are not producing exactly what you want is to my mind insulting.  If I said that you do not understand how to use the Enpass because you have no common sense or you are not intelligent enough you would, I am sure not be pleased.

Whether people want to admit it or not Tags can quite happily be used as folders, and while there is the ability and use case for them, you do not have to give each entry multiple Tags.  Just create your 'folder' structure (using Tags), go to the relevant folder (Tag) where you want to place and item and create away.  Which is exactly what I did when I transitioned from v5 to v6, not in the slightest bit confusing or difficult.  In addition, all of my entries are laid out by client name (simple A-to-Z filing) followed by a classification, i.e. Remote Desktop Setting.  This means that I do not have to look through my Tag filing system if I do not want to and the search functionality makes it quick and easy to locate any entry I am after.  If a consistent naming/filing system is maintained then truly you should never need to Tag/File anything, you could store it all in a root folder!

There is one other major piece of software I can think of that uses Tags and I have not come across its users making any complaints, and that is Finder in Mac OS.  Windows may have something similar but I have not used it for so many years I cannot recall.

Yes having the ability to hide the categories/tags etc would be useful to some, but if that was made a feature deleting them altogether would seem to be redundant.  See I said I did not completely disagree with you.

Is Enpass expensive?  Well I suppose that all depends on your budget, what other packages you are comparing it to and whether you consider it good value for money.  The clients I have using it are a balance of those who just use the free desktop version and those that use it primarily on mobile devices and have been happy to make the purchase.  Enpass is free to use and learn without any outlay, so beyond a user's time, before taking the plunge and purchasing the full product for mobile devices.

Software rarely works exactly the way an end user wants it to, unfortunately it is down to that person to either find another package that they like better, or to learn to adapt. To fall back on an old quote:

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”

― John Lydgate

Finally, yes developers need to listen to their users.  But that does not mean that every user should expect that every feature they want is going to be included in a package.

7 minutes ago, Dentonthebear said:

Hi @pauloirply

Sorry, I almost completely disagree with you, and for you to say that the Sinew staff are 'confused' because they are not producing exactly what you want is to my mind insulting.  If I said that you do not understand how to use the Enpass because you have no common sense or you are not intelligent enough you would, I am sure not be pleased.

Whether people want to admit it or not Tags can quite happily be used as folders, and while there is the ability and use case for them, you do not have to give each entry multiple Tags.  Just create your 'folder' structure (using Tags), go to the relevant folder (Tag) where you want to place and item and create away.  Which is exactly what I did when I transitioned from v5 to v6, not in the slightest bit confusing or difficult.  In addition, all of my entries are laid out by client name (simple A-to-Z filing) followed by a classification, i.e. Remote Desktop Setting.  This means that I do not have to look through my Tag filing system if I do not want to and the search functionality makes it quick and easy to locate any entry I am after.  If a consistent naming/filing system is maintained then truly you should never need to Tag/File anything, you could store it all in a root folder!

There is one other major piece of software I can think of that uses Tags and I have not come across its users making any complaints, and that is Finder in Mac OS.  Windows may have something similar but I have not used it for so many years I cannot recall.

Yes having the ability to hide the categories/tags etc would be useful to some, but if that was made a feature deleting them altogether would seem to be redundant.  See I said I did not completely disagree with you.

Is Enpass expensive?  Well I suppose that all depends on your budget, what other packages you are comparing it to and whether you consider it good value for money.  The clients I have using it are a balance of those who just use the free desktop version and those that use it primarily on mobile devices and have been happy to make the purchase.  Enpass is free to use and learn without any outlay, so beyond a user's time, before taking the plunge and purchasing the full product for mobile devices.

Software rarely works exactly the way an end user wants it to, unfortunately it is down to that person to either find another package that they like better, or to learn to adapt. To fall back on an old quote:

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”

― John Lydgate

Finally, yes developers need to listen to their users.  But that does not mean that every user should expect that every feature they want is going to be included in a package.

Well, first of all, I didn't want to embarrass anyone with my post. and in this situation, the opinion expressed by me is exclusively mine.
I am very closely associated with software development throughout its entire cycle, and I know what I am talking about.
I repeat, no one intended to offend the developers.
Among other things, I did not write that the program was expensive, but clarified that I had purchased a paid version, nothing more.
about tags, I answered you in another post. Tagging has nothing to do with directories. This is a fact and it is incontrovertible.
And you still haven't answered the question as to whether you store absolutely all files in the root of some disk, directory, and just tag? I doubt very much ...
Ultimately it's about the password manager, not the operating system. And a password manager is a highly targeted product from which the user wants to get a specific result.
It's not so difficult to fantasize and implement this in code, but how will all this affect the end user?
As for the ability to hide unused categories, it already exists. BUT! we are talking about the possibility of deleting standard categories.
How strange it turns out. he can delete categories that the user has created on his own, but he can only hide the presented categories. Why?
This is the user's password database. Why should a user keep in his database categories that he will not use?
In general, everyone has the right to express their point of view, but with your post you have created even more questions for me personally.
And please note, as practice shows, the more points of view are considered, the more objective and quality the final result is.