Enpass Discussion Forum

Status of Apple M1 native version?

Melvin

I just ordered a new Mac mini, but I won't be able to use it at all if Enpass doesn't work on it. I looked around and I haven't seen anyone talking about it but I did see a bunch of posts saying that enpass doesn't work at all on ARM Linux, and is not natively supported on ARM Windows, which scares me a lot. Is enpass currently working natively or even with Rosetta on ARM macs? 

• Like 1

My guess it'll be a few or several months before many applications are natively ported over to the M1 ARM architecture, I'm sure Enpass themselves are actively working on this internally. That being said, hopefully Enpass will run under the rosetta emulation layer, but we shall see as the units start getting out next week. I'm curious myself, please report your findings with rosetta. 

Edited by genbushi
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2020 at 4:18 PM, Melvin said:

I just ordered a new Mac mini, but I won't be able to use it at all if Enpass doesn't work on it. I looked around and I haven't seen anyone talking about it but I did see a bunch of posts saying that enpass doesn't work at all on ARM Linux, and is not natively supported on ARM Windows, which scares me a lot. Is enpass currently working natively or even with Rosetta on ARM macs? 

I am on my MacBook Air now, just came today. Enpass requires Rosetta 2 but absolutely works. Only tested the desktop app and the Safari plugin presently. No reason to think it won't work with Chrome either, I just haven't gotten around to downloading it yet.

Of course, I too want a native ARM version, but in the mean time, it's a relatively light weight application and runs just fine.

• Like 3

That's great to hear. I'm definitely fine with Rosetta too. I've seen people talking about Qt not running on ARM yet so I was afraid it would not work at all. When people say "it doesn't work" they very rarely specify what they mean by that (not running at all or requiring Rosetta).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately there also are some annoying graphical errors with Enpass on the Apple M1 (Apple Silicon) - in the app itself, as well as in the browser extionsion.

It would be great if Enpass could release an native / Universal App optimized for the new M1 chip, as many competitors already did.

Edited by mries1

On 12/6/2020 at 5:01 PM, doudoufr said:

I just bought an M1, and Enpass works on it. and fingerprint too. 

Note that if you are using an external display and your lid is closed, then yes, fingerprint is disabled.

Thanks. Can you pls confirm that browsers xtensions and auto fill works too

Hey @mries1

As of now, Enpass will run M1 chips with an inbuilt compatibility layer. We are looking to fix it in two stages. First to release an optimized version for the compatibility layer. The user interface of Enpass uses cross-platform Qt Toolkit, which is currently not stable now for M1 native supports. We will release a native build just after that.

@John DoePlease be informed that some users reported an only issue with fingerprint/touch ID on M1 and we are working to fix the same issue.

Also, we have reverted you on the other post. Let me know if you have any concerns. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

First Question:
When we can expect Enpass Update for native Support on Apple Silicon (M1 Support)? I am really looking forward to this...

Second Question:
Enpass stores data (vaults and backups) in my personal Document folder on macOS Big Sur (on all MacBooks, Pro, Air etc). Can you please change that back to the Library folder? I do not wanna have my Enpass data between my documents.
The folder „/Users/MyUserName/Library/Containers/in.sinew.Enpass-Desktop/Data/Documents
“ is displayed in the normal „Documents“ folder („/Users/MyUserName/Documents“)! Please change that back or at least give me the option to store it somewhere else... (latest Enpass app from Mac App Store, and I like the App Store and getting Apps from there).

Thank you!

In addition to the above mentioned two questions:

Third Question:
The vault icons seems to be not the same as on my iOS Device, even if I select standard icons instead of custom ones. The sync of the selected vault Icon seems to be broken. Can you investigate and check, why this is happening? Any bug fixes planned?

Thank you for your support! :)
Stay healthy and save.

Edited by The Game

Hey @The Game

Thanks for writing in.

On 1/9/2021 at 5:13 PM, The Game said:

When we can expect Enpass Update for native Support on Apple Silicon (M1 Support)?

As of now, Enpass will run M1 chips with an inbuilt compatibility layer. We are looking to fix it in two stages. First to release an optimized version for the compatibility layer. The user interface of Enpass uses cross-platform Qt Toolkit, which is currently not stable now for M1 native supports. We will release a native build just after that.

Regarding second question of change location- The option to change database location is only available for app downloaded from Enpass website(from here https://www.enpass.io/downloads/). If you have downloaded Enpass from App store, it won’t be possible to change the database location. To change the database location in website version, please follow these steps:

• Open Enpass → Under Settings, go to Advanced → Click on Change Location to change the data location.
19 hours ago, The Game said:

Third Question:
The vault icons seems to be not the same as on my iOS Device, even if I select standard icons instead of custom ones. The sync of the selected vault Icon seems to be broken. Can you investigate and check, why this is happening? Any bug fixes planned?

Sure. Please share the OS of iOS device and Enpass version you using on both the device so that we can further check this issue.

Thanks!

Thank you for answering!

Regarding the first Question:
Thank you! Good to know, that you will optimize Enpass for Apple Silicon (ARM)!

Regarding second Question:
I am talking about the Mac App Store Version, not the website version of Enpass! So, for macOS Catalina, everything seems to be fine, the Enpass folder with vault and backup folder was not visible in the personal Documents folder. So, it seems that there is a change in the macOS Version. Nevertheless, you are able to define, where to store the data: Right now, you are using the folder „Users/MyUserName/Library/Containers/in.sinew.Enpass-Desktop/Data/Documents“. 
Can you maybe store it in the Data folder? Like „Users/MyUserName/Library/Containers/in.sinew.Enpass-Desktop/Data/“ or maybe „Users/MyUserName/Library/Containers/in.sinew.Enpass-Desktop/“ ? Or completely in other folders there? Because than it is not displayed in my personal Documents folder! Or could you at least discuss with Apple, if this is an issue and your folder should not be displayed inside the Users Documents folder?

Regarding the third Question:
I am using always the latest versions, like iOS 14.3, Enpass iOS App version 6.6.1 (528) on my iPhone XS. On my MacBook Air M1 the latest macOS version 11.1 and the latest version from the Mac App Store (6.5.2) 726.

It seems currently, that all vaults and their icons are not in sync. Vault 1 can have one icon and vault 2 can have icon 2 on my Mac (default icons). But on my iOS device, vault 1 can have icon 3 and vault 2 can have icon 4 (default icons). Similar to custom icons!

can you investigate and fix, please?

Hey @The Game

Thanks for writing back.

On 1/13/2021 at 12:43 AM, The Game said:

Regarding second Question:

I have notified your inputs along with the suggestion to our team.

On 1/13/2021 at 12:43 AM, The Game said:

Regarding the third Question:

We are able to reproduce this issue at our end, and our team is working on it. Hopefully, the fix will be available in future updates. Stay tuned for the updates of Enpass.

So I finally got my Mac M1 and here is my feedback 

I downloaded the latest version of enpass from

their website.  Everything is working fine including the safari extension and autofill.  No issues to report. 

one quirk is that upon reboot the main enpass app window opens and asks me to use Touch ID to unlock it.  Upon doing so it unlocks and I am good to go 

previously upon startup the main enpass window never showed up.  Only on using the app it would ask to enter Touch ID or master  password.  How do I get back that behavior please where enpass window doesn’t upon ok it’s own upon startup

thanks 

• 2 months later...