Enpass Discussion Forum

Unable to use Enpass extension with Safari - "Enpass Connection Error"

Hello,

I would like to switch from 1Password to Enpass, but before I purchase the iOS app, I want to ensure that Enpass will work for my needs. 

Currently, On Safari I am not able to use the Enpass plugin. I get the dreaded: 

Enpass Connection Error
Please start Enpass desktop app and make sure you have checked "Enable Browser Extension" in Enpass Preferences, before using Enpass Browser Extension.

Environment:
macOS 10.13.1 High Sierra
Safari 11.0.1
Enpass plugin 5.5.0
Enpass 5.6.2

Any help would be appreciated.

Dirk

Hello Dirk,

I have EXACTLY the same configuration and the same problem. Also Chrome works as a work-around.

On a different Mac I have OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan, the rest is the same. Here everything works fine.
On the 10.13.1-System I used the Migration Assistant from the 10.11.6-System, so most of the preferences should be the same .

Stefan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Akash Vyas

Hey guys, 

Sorry for the delayed response. We tested this issue with the exact system specifications that you mentioned but weren't able to reproduce it, not once.:( Our dev team is currently working on developing a debug version and we'll appreciate it if you can please run it and share the reports.  

Your patience is highly appreciated.

Hello Akash,

I recently updated to macOS 10.13.2 and Safari 11.0.2, but nothing changed. I still get the connection error.

@Dirk Kolbe  I guess like myself you are from Germany, use German keyboard layout and "," as decimal separator?

@Akash Vyas Maybe this could be a hint why you can't reproduce it? Also, the German "Umlaute" (ä, ö, ü) often are the cause for strange software problems. I think have used some in the content of the Enpass database, but not in folder paths or user name of my system.

7 hours ago, Akash Vyas said:

Hey guys, 

Sorry for the delayed response. We tested this issue with the exact system specifications that you mentioned but weren't able to reproduce it, not once.:( Our dev team is currently working on developing a debug version and we'll appreciate it if you can please run it and share the reports.  

Your patience is highly appreciated.

Hey,

yes, of course I will

2 hours ago, Stefan.B said:

Hello Akash,

I recently updated to macOS 10.13.2 and Safari 11.0.2, but nothing changed. I still get the connection error.

@Dirk Kolbe  I guess like myself you are from Germany, use German keyboard layout and "," as decimal separator?

@Akash Vyas Maybe this could be a hint why you can't reproduce it? Also, the German "Umlaute" (ä, ö, ü) often are the cause for strange software problems. I think have used some in the content of the Enpass database, but not in folder paths or user name of my system.

Yes, yes and yes :)

Hey there,

i have the same problem here. Just migrated from one Macbook Pro to another. Now the extension in Safari wold not work anymore on the new Macbook. In Chrome and firefox it connects correctly to the Enpass App. Reinstalling of app and extension did not help.

Both Macbooks are on High Sierra, but the older one was updated a few weeks ago from sierra to High Sierra with Enpass already installed. Irritating on the Mac i migrated from, there it still works fine. But on my new Macbook Pro where I migrated to (though a used 2015 Model which ist the same as the old one) it does not work.

Also German here if that is the cause of the problem?

Macbook Pro Retina 13 inch early 2015 with macOS 10.13.2 + Safari 11.0.2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

We are sorry for the trouble you are facing.:( We have marked this issue of high priority and our team is trying to reproduce it here. To dig out this bug I need some information from your side.

• Are you using multiple login accounts on your Mac?
  • Have you tried both versions (Enpass Website or App Store)?
  • Which OSX, Enpass version, Enpass extension version are you using?
  • Which other extensions have you installed in Safari browsers?
  • Does Enpass browser extension work on Chrome/Opera browsers?
  • If you think any third party software installed by you could be interfering with the connection (like Alfred for Mac), please name it.

You can send your replies in a PM to me. Your co-operation is highly appreciated.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

As I just started using Enpass, a few hours ago, I am already facing two major issues with the Enpass extension for Safari:
1-Enpass Connection Error
2-How to disable the "Recent Items" field.  The clear recent items option is not enough.

The only way I found to make the extension to work is to keep the main app open, which is certainly not normal.  
Yes, the browser extension settings are enabled.  See the attached photos.

Safari Version 11.0.2 (13604.4.7.1.6)
Enpass Safari Extension Version 5.5.2
Enpass Version 5.6.3(139)
macOS Version 10.13.2 (17C205)

Please advise.

EnpassBrowserExt.jpeg

EnpassExtError.jpeg

Hi @the509man

On 1/20/2018 at 7:54 PM, the509man said:

Hey,

As I just started using Enpass, a few hours ago, I am already facing two major issues with the Enpass extension for Safari:
1-Enpass Connection Error
2-How to disable the "Recent Items" field.  The clear recent items option is not enough.

The only way I found to make the extension to work is to keep the main app open, which is certainly not normal.  
Yes, the browser extension settings are enabled.  See the attached photos.

Safari Version 11.0.2 (13604.4.7.1.6)
Enpass Safari Extension Version 5.5.2
Enpass Version 5.6.3(139)
macOS Version 10.13.2 (17C205)

Being an offline Password manager Enpass saves your database locally on your device and in order to autofill in websites, Enpass extension has to relay on the main app to fetch the data from. That is why it should be opened in background always. For more details please go to the given link.However this behaviour of Enpass will not be bothersome if you can choose to set it to run automatically on every boot.

Hope this helps!

On 1/21/2018 at 7:10 PM, mschindl said:

That was the workaround for me a few months ago. A few days ago it worked after I cleared the browser cache and all cookies. Now it doesn't work still anymore...

At the moment I use Chrome more often as before, but it's not a good workaround.

Hi @mschindl

Sorry for the trouble you're going through. Please run the debug tool (the one I sent you via PM) and share the logs so that we can investigate further.

Your co-operation is appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys! 
I have experienced the same issue and actually, I just solved it by myself after the Enpass support turned out to be not exactly super helpful.

My situation: Enpass Safari Extension Connection Error

• I had a 2015 MacBook Pro running with macOS High Sierra. Enpass used to work fine with all browsers (Safari, Firefox, Chrome)
  • A couple of weeks ago I switched to a 2017 MacBook Pro via Migration Assistant. On my new MBP, Enpass still worked with Firefox and Chrome, but did not work with Safari!
    Always displayed this dumb connection error...

Now here's what I did:

• Uninstall and re-install Enpass for macOS (tried both the App-Store and the Enpass-Website versions)
  • Uninstall and re-install Enpass Safari Extension (tried both the Safari Extensions Gallery and the Enpass Website versions)
  • Install Enpass for macOS and Enpass Safari Extension DEBUG versions sent to me from Enpass support

And all of this didn't change a thing!

Here's what solved my issue:

After reinstalling Enpass and the respective safari extension about a million times, I decided to re-install macOS without erasing my data.
A reinstallation of macOS is the only way to re-install Safari.

How I did this:

• Make a Time Machine backup to an external HDD or NAS. 
  • Go to Mac App Store, search for High Sierra and download it (around 5 GB)
  • When the download is finished, the High Sierra Installer pops up
  • Simply re-install macOS this way (this does not affect your data!) 
    -> and then be happy things are working well again!

And - voilà - this solved the problem for me.

Now everything is working well!

Good luck,
Oliver

Edited by OliG