Enpass Discussion Forum

Open multiple vaults

frostsake

Hi,

I am actually a 1password user, but it's lack of Linux support is becoming a problem for me, and they don't appear to be in any rush to actually make one.  I came across Enpass, however your lack of multiple-vault support is a dealbreaker for me.

I just wanted to add my voice to this thread, because multiple vaults is the *only* reason I'm not considering your product right now.  We're using 1password in a team environment, so this would equate to multiple sales, not just me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wanted to add that I also need this. I run a small IT consulting business. I use 1Password to manage my personal passwords and the passwords of each business I manage. I create a new vault for each client that I have to have passwords for. I also have gotten many of them to buy 1Password so they can have access to the vault I created. I would love to tranition to enpass because of it's linux support. A feature that 1Password does not have. I also would be able to get you multiple sales from my clients as well. 

Thanks @kent1986 for showing interest in Enpass. We are really very delighted to have feature requests from users and we are committed to add them at the earliest. 

I can not confirm you any ETA and would say that multiple vaults is in top-priority list of ours and we will start working on it after the release of attachment support & Enpass for Chromebook (very very soon). We will keep you guys updated with progress.

Thanks for your love and understanding.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi !

I just created my account to +1 this feature request :) ! I would love to use Enpass as a team tool. The only feature that missed compared to 1password is the easy handling of multiple vaults. 1password is the only password manager I have tested that allows this in a very straigthforward manner :

- Each vault is a separate folder with its own master password that we can sync however we want (dropbox, myowncloud...). The sharing can be handled by a cloud service, not by the app (stay KISS !).

- Master password of the main vault allows the use of all vaults (yes, we stay with a "1 password to remember" approach even if each vault has its own encryption key)

The day this feature  comes out, we will immediatly switch to enpass.

Cheers !

Edited by xador

On 8.4.2016 at 11:59 AM, rk said:

Also it would be great, if there were groups, which you can assign to users and if you add a password, you can select which group has access to this password.
Additionally another field, where you can add/remove single users from accessing the password.

small reminder, this is an offline database, you can forget permissions on that. the only Idea would be a hosted server which manages those permissions

the only Problem is that if whoever has control of the server has the decryption password they can completely circumvent the permissions.

On 26.4.2016 at 5:11 AM, ev said:

I have just been searching for such a thing. Rather than seperate vaults (with seperate logins, seperate sync, etc) perhaps one vault for the company with personal folders within, each with their own password access. The user creates a folder like they current can do, with the option to add a password to this folder.

partially a good Idea but throwing out milti-vault because of this is a bad Idea. while it is helpful to say that group PWs and per-user PWs should be split, truly personal passwords should not be stored in the company DB at all.

On 1.12.2016 at 0:33 PM, xador said:

Master password of the main vault allows the use of all vaults (yes, we stay with a "1 password to remember" approach even if each vault has its own encryption key)

not a good Idea, or at least not a good default, if we have seperate vaults e.g. for coorperate and personal use or whatever there should be seperate passwords, I mean otherwise, what's the point of having multiple vaults?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to share some logins with other people. As I understand the feature currently, I'm only able to send a login to someone and he han import it to his own enpass application/vault.

Whenever I change the password or alter something else in this login, the data in the other vault is not updated.

enpass should offer a possibility for a "two-way-share". This could i.e. be achieved with the ability of having multiple password vaults, one could then be shared with someone else. For example through a shared OneDrive folder or so...

Edited by Arjen
changed "store" to "vault" for better understanding
  • Like 1

On 28.4.2016 at 0:09 PM, mabe said:

I think there is an easier way to implement it and cover a wide variety of needs. And I myself would love it!

Let us assume everyone has his own master vault (i.e. the one you are using just right now).

Imagine you just add a new type of password entry ("enpass-vault") where you define:

1. the name of the embedded vault
  2. the file_name of the vault file
  3. the master password for this embedded vault
  4. define read-only or read-write behavior
  5. setup synchronization for (i.e. different dropbox account)

Now the enpass app will at its start scan the main vault for these "enpass-vault" entries for available embedded vaults and will make them available/searchable for the user.

When the user wants to store a new password, it will be stored into the main vault by default unless the user specifies any of the embedded read-write vaults to store it in.

In this way, it is solely on the user's decision what kind of embedded vault he/she wants to have (team vault, external company vault, wife's vault, family vault etc.)...

+1 Would be a great solution

• Like 1

I would like to start using a password manager but it seems none of them has thought about the fact that many users share a device like a laptop or tablet.

So to me, it didn't make sense to start using a password manager, since I share a laptop and a tablet at home. The only personal device is my smartphone.
My worklaptop is the same story: work related sites/apps should not get mixed with private stuff (currently I use FF for private stuff and Chrome for work stuff).

Now I will travel for a long time with my partner, we will have our personal smartphones and 1 tablet.
How should we use Enpass? It would become a mess having multiple accounts for the same services, when we use one vault. Or am I overreacting?
Currently I switched to using Firefox on the tablet, she uses Chrome. This way we keep our accounts seperate, but Firefox can be slow/annoying on Android.

Also it seems we have to start using Enpass on the laptop but we both use FireFox on it and constantly log each other out.

so how would this work with a password manager? I am a bit shocked no password manager has real support/guidance for non-personal devices.

2 hours ago, zilexa said:

Or am I overreacting?

Yes, absolutely!

Make yourself a concept, what would be best and most comfortable for you and then look for software that fits to that concept. But accusing the DEV team or the community only because you don't have a concept for yourself is not very nice.

Multiple vaults could be a solution for you and while Enpass doesn't have that option, look for Password managers which do. Then have two password safes, one for you, one for your partner. Having to logout and login again is just the nature of shared devices or rather say accounts. Because you could also have two Windows/ Unix accounts and switch between them. As long as you don't log out from your OS account, the sessions are stored and you even don't have to log out your browser sessions.

On 22-12-2016 at 4:14 PM, Kristian said:

Yes, absolutely!

Make yourself a concept, what would be best and most comfortable for you and then look for software that fits to that concept. But accusing the DEV team or the community only because you don't have a concept for yourself is not very nice.

Multiple vaults could be a solution for you and while Enpass doesn't have that option, look for Password managers which do. Then have two password safes, one for you, one for your partner. Having to logout and login again is just the nature of shared devices or rather say accounts. Because you could also have two Windows/ Unix accounts and switch between them. As long as you don't log out from your OS account, the sessions are stored and you even don't have to log out your browser sessions.

Well then I am overreacting.. but I don't understand your explanation. What I am trying to explain is how suprised I am no password manager including Enpass has thought about the simple concept of multiple users using the same Android tablet (as a simple example). For Windows I guess the solution is very simple: use multiple Windows accounts. Stupid me, I haven't used Windows/MS accounts for soo long completely forgot about it.
Thanks for your suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

Just gonna go ahead and bump this thread with my +1.

I currently use 1Password and am looking to make the jump from macOS to Linux (for work, anyway). With this comes a move to Enpass, since 1Password completely ignores the demand from Linux users. I've loaded up some of my personal credentials into Enpass for testing, but one of the largest issues I will have while making the jump is: Work life vs Personal life.

With 1Password, I have two vaults: Personal and Work. My personal AWS account goes into the Personal vault, synced to my personal Google Drive. Then I have my work AWS accounts go into the work vault, synced on the work-provided cloud of choice (Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, OneDrive). My typical workflow for logging in:

1. Visit AWS Console login page
  2. Right click login box, click $passwordManager
  3. Password Manager's browser extension pops up, and I type "AWS"
    1. This shows the search results for both Personal and Work
  4. I can hit Cmd+1 to switch to my first vault, Personal, and retrieve only those results
  5. I can hit Cmd+2 to switch to my second vault, Work, and retrieve only those results

I'd love this ability within Enpass. I can cope for now by using Folders, but it'd be nice to continue using a similar workflow.

Edited by SnoFox
Clarify step 1 of workflow

• 3 weeks later...