Enpass Discussion Forum

Open multiple vaults

frostsake

I would love to use Enpass for my everyday life and at work to share passwords with my teammates securely. But I don't want them to see my personal passwords obviously, so we need to create a second vault.

Problem is that there is no way to open multiple vaults at a time.

Edited by frostsake
  • Like 14

28 minutes ago, frostsake said:

I would love to use Enpass for my everyday life and at work to share passwords with my teammates securely. But I don't want them to see my personal passwords obviously, so we need to create a second vault.

I would also love to see this feature.

It would be great, if you could add a vault for a company, where you can add members by mail which can see this in Enpass then.
Maybe you could add a dropdown on the top left, where you can select the vault then.

Also it would be great, if there were groups, which you can assign to users and if you add a password, you can select which group has access to this password.
Additionally another field, where you can add/remove single users from accessing the password.

Another good idea would be shared vaults, where you can share another vault with an external company.
There you should also be possible to set the access for the groups/users of your own AND the external company.

I'll create an image to make it more clear, how I imagine it.

I know, this would be much of hard work, but then you would be the #1 password manager. (For me you're already ;) )

• Like 3

Okay, I can't edit my post anymore, so a new one:

It isn't a picture, i did it in text-form now.
How I would imagine that:

Personal Accounts:

• Registered by mail
  • Can have multiple Vaults

Admin Accounts:

• Registered by mail
  • Controls shared vaults
  • Vault management:
    - Can have multiple Vaults
    - Vaults can be shared with a Personal Account
    - Vaults can be shared with one or more Admin Accounts
  • User management:
    - Add personal Accounts to vaults
  • Group management:
    - Add Personal Accounts connected to this Admin Account to groups

Vaults of Admin Accounts:

• Accessibility-Management on password creation:
    - Functionality to add group
    - Functionality to include/exclude users
    - Shared Vaults: Groups and users from external Accounts are also shown in Accessibility-Management

Maybe I forgot something, please ask if something isn't clear.

Hello @rk,
Thanks a ton for all your time and efforts in writing such a delineating email which clearly portrays a cloud and subscription based software for small teams and Enterprises.
Anything that is real demand of our beloved customers is added to our top priority list and we do our best to incorporate them in future versions. We are keeping notes of everything being mentioned here.

Regards 

Hemant 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been searching for such a thing. Rather than seperate vaults (with seperate logins, seperate sync, etc) perhaps one vault for the company with personal folders within, each with their own password access. The user creates a folder like they current can do, with the option to add a password to this folder.

I think there is an easier way to implement it and cover a wide variety of needs. And I myself would love it!

Let us assume everyone has his own master vault (i.e. the one you are using just right now).

Imagine you just add a new type of password entry ("enpass-vault") where you define:

1. the name of the embedded vault
  2. the file_name of the vault file
  3. the master password for this embedded vault
  4. define read-only or read-write behavior
  5. setup synchronization for (i.e. different dropbox account)

Now the enpass app will at its start scan the main vault for these "enpass-vault" entries for available embedded vaults and will make them available/searchable for the user.

When the user wants to store a new password, it will be stored into the main vault by default unless the user specifies any of the embedded read-write vaults to store it in.

In this way, it is solely on the user's decision what kind of embedded vault he/she wants to have (team vault, external company vault, wife's vault, family vault etc.)...

Edited by mabe
  • Like 3

+1 for multiple vaults / multiple databases.  I have just started using enpass on my desktop and have purchased the iOS app after just a days testing.  I will no doubt be purchasing the Android version as well.  It is perfect for me and love it so far.  Having the ability to have more than 1 database / vaults would be an excellent addition to an already strong feature set and would be a simple solution to be able to share passwords securely with others without implementing a full blown enterprise application with a permissions / user model.

• 4 weeks later...

Lack of multiple vaults support would be the one thing to hold me back from adopting enpass.  I have used eWallet for 10+ years and am considering enpass primarily because of Linux support and because eW doesn't seem to see much innovation in recent years (eg: their iOS integration is still subpar).

I tried 1password but it failed at Linux support and also proper multi-vault support.

I'd suggest keeping it simple; separate vaults which can (easily - 1-click) be selected at startup, stored in separate files/databases.  For users who don't care about multiple vaults, this shouldn't intrude their workflow. I think eWallet's implementation of that feature is "just right"...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8.4.2016 at 11:18 AM, frostsake said:

I would also love to see multiple vaults implement, just for the same reasons as the originally quoted text.

I also have logins from my wife and son in my vault, it would be great to have separate vaults for all family members, but beeing able to use the other ones vault if needed.

Cheers Thomas

• Like 1

Same here...signed up to the forum just to request this feature.

Will take it one further...multiple vaults selected at login each residing in their own separate Onedrive accounts.

My workflow is that I have a personal Microsoft account/Onedrive that I keep my personal Enpass Vault and a work Microsoft account/Onedrive (for business). Would be nice to open either vault with the UWP version (I use W10Mobile). Right now I can only open the personal account tied to my mobile phone.

Onedrive has the ability to open multiple accounts...perhaps something like that.

P.S. Loving Enpass so far. Have been using eWallet for many many years...and recently was going to switch to 1Password until your excellent UWP app came out!

Edited by Cartman

• 4 weeks later...

Hello @rk

Thanks for your message! At the moment we are in a state where it would be very confusing to provide an open roadmap due to lot of features being worked on simultaneously on all platforms.

We are ready with the Portable version of Enpass in which user has to choose a database (analogous to vault) at the start and this way it can be used as a multiple vault. We will soon release a Beta version of it.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

• Like 2

On 29 July 2016 at 10:37 AM, Hemant Kumar said:

We are ready with the Portable version of Enpass in which user has to choose a database (analogous to vault) at the start and this way it can be used as a multiple vault.

Hi @Hemant Kumar,

This sounds great! If multiple databases are supported, it would finally be time for me to migrate to Enpass!

Couple of quick q's:

1. What's the "Portable" version of Enpass?
  2. Will multiple DB support extend across platforms, to include synchronisation eg: Linux & iOS?

Many thanks!

Chris

Hi @sxc4567,

Thanks for writing in.

3 hours ago, sxc4567 said:
  • What's the "Portable" version of Enpass?

The coming Portable version of Enpass will be direct executable of full fledged Enpass (needs no installation) from a USB key. You would be able to keep executable of all platforms in the single USB pendrive and can plug it on any system (Windows, Mac and Linux). Though for Linux you would require to create an extra partition on pen-drive as extended file system. All the development work has been done and soon we will release a beta version for beta program subscribers.

4 hours ago, sxc4567 said:

Will multiple DB support extend across platforms, to include synchronisation eg: Linux & iOS?

Yes, users would be able to sync across devices using all supported clouds. 

If you have more queries, please feel free to discuss.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Can not wait for the portable version; not having multiple vaults has been quite a drag, but glad to see it finally coming. I wouldn't object to you guys not sleeping at all to get it out faster btw, just saying :P

Edited by Pete

• 3 weeks later...

A simple workaround until this feature becomes official: close the program, rename the database folder from Enpass to Enpass2 (for example) then start up the program, it'll ask if you want to create or restore an account. I went through the process for the additional account and it works fine. If you want to use the original database again, rename that second vault Enpass to Enpass3 then rename Enpass2 back to Enpass. I know it's a pain, but that's the only way I managed to have two vaults, unless you create a new Windows user and install it there.

• 2 weeks later...

Including another vault as a folder would be great. Then one should be able to decide whether the master vault should store the sub-vaults password or not. If the password is stored this would be the share-with-team/family-members use case. However, if the password is not stored one can keep there the really secure notes (like the list of potential presents for your wife) and private pages (the ones that should not pop up when the kids and fathers-in-law tamper with your computer) w/o compromising usablity for the day-to-day entries.

On 28.4.2016 at 0:09 PM, mabe said:

I think there is an easier way to implement it and cover a wide variety of needs. And I myself would love it!

Let us assume everyone has his own master vault (i.e. the one you are using just right now).

Imagine you just add a new type of password entry ("enpass-vault") where you define:

1. the name of the embedded vault
  2. the file_name of the vault file
  3. the master password for this embedded vault
  4. define read-only or read-write behavior
  5. setup synchronization for (i.e. different dropbox account)

Now the enpass app will at its start scan the main vault for these "enpass-vault" entries for available embedded vaults and will make them available/searchable for the user.

When the user wants to store a new password, it will be stored into the main vault by default unless the user specifies any of the embedded read-write vaults to store it in.

In this way, it is solely on the user's decision what kind of embedded vault he/she wants to have (team vault, external company vault, wife's vault, family vault etc.)...

I really like this idea! This would give me so much comfort in regards to handle multiple vaults and only having one Enpass instance to open and only enter one password for my main vault. Very good idea in my opinion and I hope this one will be considered.

Multiple vaults are missing so much right now. However I don't want to have multiple Enpass windows. It will only result in always searching the correct (currently needed) window. I'd rather like to have tabs in my main window then. Just mentioning so that no time is wasted for creating multiple vault support via multiple instances of Enpass. And furthermore to explain why I like the quoted idea so much.