Enpass Discussion Forum

High CPU load created by EnpassNMHost on macOS 10.13.2 (High Sierra)

Padrio

Hi there,

yesterday i noticed my Computer was lagging and then i checked the processes and (as you can see in the attached image) "EnpassNMHost" created 99.9% load on my cpu.
Im currently running macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C205) with Enpass in version 5.6.3 (139) and got the Firefox Extension aswell.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-22 um 22.11.55.png

Guest Akash Vyas

Hey @Padrio

We're already tracking this issue and as of now but we are not able to reproduce it here in our lab so we don't have anything conclusive at the moment. We are working on to reproduce it here. However, we will really appreciate if you can help us by sharing anything relevant about the timing/pattern when it surfaces the most like when waking the machine from sleep mode or even with a fresh boot.

Thanks.  

• 2 weeks later...

OK, now I am having the same issue on my Linux box (Ubuntu 17.10). 

/opt/Enpass/bin/EnpassHelper/EnpassNMHost /home/xxxx/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/EnpassNMHost.json firefox-enpass@enpass.io

The process is consuming 100% of a CPU.  When I close firefox, the process continues to consume CPU.  When I start firefox again, a new (normally behaving) process starts, and the old one continues to consume CPU until it is killed.

I have tried to strace a misbehaving process, but it's not doing anything but context switching (visible in top).

Just let me know what to run to get you a diagnostic dump, I'm all for it. 

EDIT: looks like closing firefox while EnpassNMHost is misbehaving results in a crash of firefox (observed by firefox wanting to submit a crash report).

Edited by Mwaters

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2018 at 8:52 PM, Jan Willem said:

Same problem here while using in combination with Firefox Quantum. I'll try to get some relevant information next time it happens.

And here. The impact on CPU temp has been awful, and I did wonder if we have another culprit for bitcoin mining. I'm sure it isn't but these are troublesome times where ethics are concerned.

• 3 weeks later...

Like others, I have had this problem (previously posted). It happens when Firefox crashes for whatever reason, and I do not exclude that Enpass is crashing it. Anyway. Immediately after than, enpassNVhost grabs ober 100% of cpu and horrible overheating starts to happen.

This is conjecture, but according to my understanding, NVhost is communications code, I assume it bridges between the FF add-on and the enpass app. It seems reasonable to surmise that when FF crashes, the communication is lost and enpassNVhost runs around like a headless chicken, out of control and not knowing what to do but desperately searching for the FF add-on. Killing the process and then restarting FF solves the problem, which again seems reasonable if my conjecture is right.

If this is in fact what is happening, then it's clearly a coding error and needs to be fixed. it is not sufficient to throw hands up and say you can't re-create the error. Since this seems to be make or break for some, and nearly was for me too, it does really need to be found and fixed.

Nést ce pas?

Edited by David Brook
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Me too. On Ubuntu 18.04 caught it maxing a core and causing firefox to get real laggy. Killed the process and responsiveness was restored. c'mon sinew, respond to this please else your users will start jumping ship.

Edited by faron
fixed small typo

Same here Ubuntu 17.10 Firefox 60.0.1

Did manage to attach gdb to the process and get a backtrace if it helps:

gdb -p 2556

Attaching to process 2556
[New LWP 6890]
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
0x00007fd135203951 in __GI___poll (fds=0x7ad240, nfds=1, timeout=-1) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/poll.c:29
29      ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/poll.c: No such file or directory.
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007fd135203951 in __GI___poll (fds=0x7ad240, nfds=1, timeout=-1) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/poll.c:29
#1  0x00007fd13207c169 in ?? () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
#2  0x00007fd13207c27c in g_main_context_iteration () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
#3  0x00007fd135f53f07 in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) ()
   from /opt/Enpass/libs/libQt5Core.so.5
#4  0x00007fd135f0276a in QEventLoop::exec(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /opt/Enpass/libs/libQt5Core.so.5
#5  0x00007fd135f0a5fd in QCoreApplication::exec() () from /opt/Enpass/libs/libQt5Core.so.5
#6  0x0000000000403b1c in main ()

• 1 month later...

Is anyone from Enpass going to update us about this? The extension hasn't been updated since April and this problem, which is really bad and was reported six months ago, still exists. People have shared their logs and yet, crickets. This issues also exists on Linux systems, per this post, but they still say they can't reproduce it.

I think it's about time to switch to a better password manager because honestly, there is no excuse for this type of software to eat up resources like this. Its footprint should be next to zero and if this is happening, either something malicious is going on under the covers, or the devs are just bad at their jobs. Neither is acceptable for a product where we are storing our most sensitive data and for which many of us are paying for one half of its functionality.

Edited by midwesterndirt

I was hitting this issue intermittently on a Fedora 26 installation, but have since moved over to an Arch Linux installation where I am hitting it 100% on login.

Weirdly enough, uninstalling the addon and reinstalling allows the connection between browser and Enpass to become functioning, and the process doesn't utilize any CPU. If I restart the window manager or reboot computer, same problem again.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...