Enpass Discussion Forum

Option to turn off display of Audit results

CLC

Hi,

When I open Enpass, I am now met with a large, intrusive display showing the results of the Audit, in four sections (Compromised, Identical, Weak, Expired).  While the Audit is a useful feature, I do not want to look at it every time I open password, or open an item.

Can you add the option not to automatically display the Audit results?  It would be helpful if I had the option to only display the results when I turn the feature on.  Else it is a distraction, and actually trains me to ignore the warnings, as they are always present.  You may simply want to highlight new additions which fail the audit, so users can decide whether they wish to take action or not.

In fact, many of the warnings are actually incorrect due to the manner in which I use Enpass.  I record many of my passwords using a coded entry, which Enpass misunderstands to be a weak or compromised password, when it is simply a memory aid for me.  Ideally, I should be able to tell Enpass to ignore these passwords when running the audit, much like you can tell MS Word to ignore a word in the spell checker, when the spell checker fails to recognise something.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Why is taking so long to remove these stupid banners?

Why don't you do any user experience testing before implementing changes?

Doesn't anyone use the app internally? If you did, you know after a few seconds that you can't add features that don't have an option to turn them off?

What are you doing to this app???

Hi all,

Thanks for using Enpass and writing to us. 

We have implemented audit dashboard so that you stay on top of your security and all the vulnerable items are visible to you on one screen. However, if you want to hide the Audit dashboard, you can do so from Enpass Menu --> View --> DisableAudit Dashboard.

Now getting on to your queries:

On 2/8/2021 at 1:38 PM, CLC said:

it is a distraction, and actually trains me to ignore the warnings, as they are always present.

@CLC. You said it well that the red points, if displayed continuously train your mind to ignore them. And there should be some solution to this situation.

On 2/8/2021 at 1:38 PM, CLC said:

In fact, many of the warnings are actually incorrect due to the manner in which I use Enpass.  I record many of my passwords using a coded entry, which Enpass misunderstands to be a weak or compromised password, when it is simply a memory aid for me.

In this case, all those items which are marked by Enpass as weak and you do not want to highlight them can be made silent by excluding from Audit. To do that, go to list of Weak items in Sidebar to remove item from audit, right click the item and choose option to Exclude from Audit.

If you are having multiple password field in any item and want to exclude any single field from the audit, click on the Password Field from the Edit screen → Click on Exclude from Password Audit → Save the field → Save the item.

@steve64800 We have added an option to dismiss the red banner and same will be available in subsequent releases. Thanks for your co-operation.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

For me, it's too little too late. I can't trust a service that makes these kind of changes that demonstrates they have no understanding of how their service is used in the real world. I started migrating to BitWarden a few hours after Enpass made this dreadful update and I have no intention of staying with Enpass even though it is going to take me days to migrate my and colleagues data over to Bit Warden.

• Like 1

I can understand the reactions to the Audit function and banner . . . BUT . . . before criticizing and even leaving Enpass it would be better to look at the different options available. I just did and it changed my initial frustration with this new feature:

• You can exclude any entries in your vaults from being audited by right clicking on the item and checking "exclude from Audit". I marked all my items with Ctr A and removed them with one click.
  • Cool: these items are listed in the Audit side bar under "excluded" and can be added later if you change your mind
  • In the top right "hamburger" menu you can 1) deactivate the Audit section in the side bar, 2) deactivate the Audit banner at the top of the page, and 3) deactivate Audit as a function - completely or only for old passwords.

Now that I found how I can adjust the Audit function to fit my needs I see it as a valuable addition to Enpass that I can use completely, partially or not at all depending on my preferences.

Summary: by simply excluding items from Audit and deactivating the Audit side bar and banner Enpass looks and acts just like before for those who prefer not to use it. And yet it is available for those who appreciate this added security level. Best of both worlds in my opinion!

Edited by Terry
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 1:39 PM, steve64800 said:

I started migrating to BitWarden a few hours after Enpass made this dreadful update and I have no intention of staying with Enpass even though it is going to take me days to migrate my and colleagues data over to Bit Warden.

BitWarden stores your data in the cloud! I would much rather take the few easy steps to deactivate Audit in Enpass than trust all my passwords to some else's server! How many cloud based password managers have been compromised the last few years . . .?

• Like 1

I have no intention of staying with Enpass even though it is going to take me days to migrate my and colleagues data over to Bit Warden.

Hello,

The Bitwarden extension is deactivated each time the browser is closed. This is not very convenient and you will quickly be unhappy to enter each time you open the browser.

Enpass is much better.

Edited by Ekalb.

I came to this forum today because of this issue. I just updated Enpass and I'm dismayed to see this Audit screen and password warnings that I can't get rid of. I don't see any "View" section in the Settings menu, so I have no idea how I'm supposed to turn it off. 

I love Enpass, please don't ruin it by adding features that can annoy users and can't even be turned off.

I really don't want to have to manually edit every entry to remove them from the password audit banner. Can we please have the option of getting rid of audit banner altogether? Some of us know what we're doing with our passwords and don't need Enpass's help with password strength. Some of my passwords are for local networking things that only need very simple passwords by nature. I just don't need Enpass to baby me about it. 

Please give us the option to turn off all audit related features.

And please keep up the great work with Enpass, it's the absolute greatest password manager for people who want to manage their own passwords! I really appreciate the fantastic work you guys have done with this set of apps. 

On 2/17/2021 at 1:39 PM, steve64800 said:

For me, it's too little too late. I can't trust a service that makes these kind of changes that demonstrates they have no understanding of how their service is used in the real world. I started migrating to BitWarden a few hours after Enpass made this dreadful update and I have no intention of staying with Enpass even though it is going to take me days to migrate my and colleagues data over to Bit Warden.

Way to go steve64800, I also switched to BitWarden for the same reasons: ENPASS is not enough customer and user centric and lack the daily use projection of a password manager. Too bad....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zub said:

Way to go steve64800, I also switched to BitWarden for the same reasons: ENPASS is not enough customer and user centric and lack the daily use projection of a password manager. Too bad....

You just moved your passwords from your own device onto BitWarden's servers. Hopefully they'll remain secure there. The main reason I use Enpass is so my passwords are only on my device, and nowhere else. This sets Enpass apart from the others. The few clicks required to stop Audit is a very small price I'm willing to pay for that.

And Enpass does listen to users: read Pratyush Sharma's post above.

On 2/28/2021 at 8:06 AM, Terry said:

"I don't see any "View" section in the Settings menu, so I have no idea how I'm supposed to turn it off. "

It's in the top right "hamburger" menu. Very easy to choose what parts of Audit you want or don't want.

Thanks, I was looking in the Settings, not the menu. 

I've unchecked "Audi", "Audit old passwords", and "Audit Dashboard". I don't know what the difference between "Audit" and "Audit Dashboard" is; it should probably be clarified.

I'm still seeing the bright "Weak Password" banner when I click on some of my entries. Please give us an app-wide option to disable this function. Like I said before, some of know what we're doing with our passwords and don't want to be monitored and told what to do. 

Hi @justaguy,

22 hours ago, justaguy said:

I've unchecked "Audi", "Audit old passwords", and "Audit Dashboard". I don't know what the difference between "Audit" and "Audit Dashboard" is; it should probably be clarified.

The answer to your queries is-

Audit: Disable this if you don't want to see the Audit section in the left sidebar.

Audit dashboard: Disable this if you don't want to see the Audit results dashboard at the startup.

Audit old passwords: Disable this if you don't want to see the old passwords in Audit section in the left sidebar.

I'm still seeing the bright "Weak Password" banner when I click on some of my entries.

In this case, all those items which are marked by Enpass as weak and you do not want to highlight them can be made silent by excluding from Audit. To do that, go to list of Weak items in Sidebar to remove item from audit, right click the item and choose option to Exclude from Audit.

Please give us an app-wide option to disable this function

I have shared your feedback internally.

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 11:35 PM, Terry said:

I can understand the reactions to the Audit function and banner . . . BUT . . . before criticizing and even leaving Enpass it would be better to look at the different options available. I just did and it changed my initial frustration with this new feature:

• You can exclude any entries in your vaults from being audited by right clicking on the item and checking "exclude from Audit". I marked all my items with Ctr A and removed them with one click.
  • Cool: these items are listed in the Audit side bar under "excluded" and can be added later if you change your mind
  • In the top right "hamburger" menu you can 1) deactivate the Audit section in the side bar, 2) deactivate the Audit banner at the top of the page, and 3) deactivate Audit as a function - completely or only for old passwords.

I tried following your instructions for excluding entries, but when I right click on an item, I don't see Exclude from Audit. All I see is Edit, Duplicate, Add to Favorites, Move to Trash, Archive, Add Tags, and Change Category. If I Select All (ctr A), all I see is Move to Trash, Archive, Add Tags, and Change Category.

• 7 months later...

Ok, I can turn off all those warnings about weak passwords in one go, but how do I prevent weak passwords warnings popping up when I create a new password.

I often like to have the option to manually type in a password, so I can't use strong passwords for all my accounts all the time, especially if it's an password for a forum or so.

image.thumb.png.0e66604d222e1f68909d9dec4ee30227.png

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 5:25 AM, jjbongio said:

I tried following your instructions for excluding entries, but when I right click on an item, I don't see Exclude from Audit. All I see is Edit, Duplicate, Add to Favorites, Move to Trash, Archive, Add Tags, and Change Category. If I Select All (ctr A), all I see is Move to Trash, Archive, Add Tags, Clash of Clans and Change Category.

Thank you for the information keep shared with us.

8 hours ago, deanso said:

Ok, I can turn off all those warnings about weak passwords in one go, but how do I prevent weak passwords warnings popping up when I create a new password.

I often like to have the option to manually type in a password, so I can't use strong passwords for all my accounts all the time, especially if it's an password for a forum or so.

image.thumb.png.0e66604d222e1f68909d9dec4ee30227.png

This please!

Hi @deanso, @ng4ever

You can exclude the password of any item from being audited so that the "Weak Password" yellow banner is not displayed. To exclude the password from Audit, click on the Password Field from the Edit screen of Item → Click on Exclude from Password Audit → Save Field → Save  Item.

image.png.8e3784ffad4c579f5f6f744325bd48dc.png

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @deanso, @ng4ever

You can exclude the password of any item from being audited so that the "Weak Password" yellow banner is not displayed. To exclude the password from Audit, click on the Password Field from the Edit screen of Item → Click on Exclude from Password Audit → Save Field → Save  Item.

image.png.8e3784ffad4c579f5f6f744325bd48dc.png

Hope this helps!

Wow this Password Manager is getting better and better as time goes on!

Hopefully you all do not fail me.

Thanks for all the help and support for this program!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2021 at 6:55 AM, jjbongio said:

I tried following your instructions for excluding entries, but when I right click on an item, I don't see Exclude from Audit. All I see is Edit, Duplicate, Add to Favorites, Move to Trash, Archive, Add Tags, Vedu app for movie and Change Category. If I Select All (ctr A), all I see is Move to Trash, Archive, Add Tags, and Change Category.

Try right-clicking on another item, it work for me