Enpass Discussion Forum

Windows Hello doesn't work on system boot, must restart Enpass

PGTipz

Same problem here, after reboot Windows Hello doesn't work and the master password is required.

TpmPresent                : True
TpmReady                  : True
TpmEnabled                : True
TpmActivated              : True
TpmOwned                  : True
RestartPending            : True
ManufacturerId            : 1095582720
ManufacturerIdTxt         : AMD
ManufacturerVersion       : 3.58.0.5
ManufacturerVersionFull20 : 3.58.0.5

image.png.cd41d9c125968e96c40d69e9a47ac541.pngimage.thumb.png.e4952d3bf9737ce94dca5215dd3bac80.png

• Like 3

On 2/18/2022 at 9:50 PM, Shiven said:

Same problem here, after reboot Windows Hello doesn't work and the master password is required.

[...]

I have the same problem with two AMD Systems. I tried everything: Reset TPM, disable/enable Hello within OS und Enpass App. It never works.

Best regards

Alex

TpmPresent                : True
TpmReady                  : True
TpmEnabled                : True
TpmActivated              : True
TpmOwned                  : True
RestartPending            : True
ManufacturerId            : 1095582720
ManufacturerIdTxt         : AMD
ManufacturerVersion       : 3.58.0.5

image.png.cd41d9c125968e96c40d69e9a47ac541.pngimage.thumb.png.e4952d3bf9737ce94dca5215dd3bac80.png

I can confirm, that I have exactly the same setup:
(Language is German, but everything else is the same)

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> get-tpm

TpmPresent                : True
TpmReady                  : True
TpmEnabled                : True
TpmActivated              : True
TpmOwned                  : True
RestartPending            : False
ManufacturerId            : 1095582720
ManufacturerIdTxt         : AMD
ManufacturerVersion       : 3.58.0.5

image.png.09c1dbca8904fb9ae14fadb2df8967aa.png

image.png.4b7ebd9fbd303884c35c2a7f38565cf4.png

I'm very disappointed, that there is no reaction from Enpass! I gladly pay the yearly fee, because I really like the tool, but this is very annoying.

Please have a look at this problem and give us a feedback, why it isn't working and when it will be fixed!

Best regards

Alex

Edited by Vibsi

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/3/2022 at 2:54 PM, Vibsi said:

Another two months have passed...

@Abhishek Dewan a few sprints have passed since this was initially reported. Could you please share with us the progress of the engineering team?

This problem is more annoying than it seems

EDIT: I just tested the freshly released 6.8.0 - still broken. Kudos for the business features, but please fix this one now :)

Edited by FuN_KeY
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

image.png.cd41d9c125968e96c40d69e9a47ac541.png

Exact same problem here. This needs to have been fixed immediately, you can only focus on other things after the very basic and important things work!

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 9:11 AM, michacassola said:

Exact same problem here. This needs to have been fixed immediately, you can only focus on other things after the very basic and important things work!

I lost hope, that this will ever be fixed. They have all the details for months and they don't bother to fix it. It's not bringing any new money and fixing such bugs costs a lot of time. Ultimately we can choose to stay with the product with all it's known flaws or move on. Sad but true.

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2022 at 4:57 AM, APremiumUser said:

To this day, this problem still exists.

Fixing this problem doesn't bring them money - so I predict it's never going to be fixed. Sadly. Maybe some new business client will tell them, that this is unacceptable and they will listen...

• 4 weeks later...

@Abhishek Dewan while I get that solving such issues can take time, I find the lack of communication about this one disappointing and close to inacceptable. According to the thread replies, this is one of the most reported issues affecting a vast number of your customers.

From my little chair, fixing this should be your top priority. As far as I am concerned the lack of solution (and even communication) is turning me off recommending Enpass to anyone anymore.

If nothing changes on that front, I will ask for a refund - as the feature is clearly not working as advertised.

Hi @FuN_KeY

While I understand that it is taking us a while to resolve this issue on our end and how much of an inconvenience it is, rest assured that we are continuously monitoring this thread and taking feedback from users who are experiencing this problem to resolve it. Additionally, I'm personally following up on this matter, and if there are any updates, I will notify everyone here. Please bear with us until then, and your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

On 8/18/2022 at 12:58 PM, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @FuN_KeY

While I understand that it is taking us a while to resolve this issue on our end and how much of an inconvenience it is, rest assured that we are continuously monitoring this thread and taking feedback from users who are experiencing this problem to resolve it. Additionally, I'm personally following up on this matter, and if there are any updates, I will notify everyone here. Please bear with us until then, and your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your answer. While I realize that you are doing your best to keep us posted, I am longing for more.

In a few weeks we will celebrate the 2-year anniversary of this topic. We are past the monitoring of feedback (it has been clearly established that it is broken); now either Enpass is unwilling to fix this, or it depends on broken external dependencies (i.e. broken TPM API, ...). Either way it would be fair to let your customers know.

Edited by FuN_KeY
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to be on the safe side: I have a TPM 2.0 chip almost like the one on the screenshot above, definitely working. When I start Enpass, it asks me for my fingerprint, which it successfully receives, and when Enpass should unlock, it still asks for the master password. Is this the same problem you are having? Or won't it even ask for your fingerprint/Windows Hello credentials at all?

I do believe this is only happening (since quite a while, but not forever) on one machine with an internal TPM, but USB fingerprint reader. Another machine, also with TMP 2.0 and an external fingerprint reader, unlocks just fine.

Edited by eno

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2022 at 12:40 AM, eno said:

Just to be on the safe side: I have a TPM 2.0 chip almost like the one on the screenshot above, definitely working. When I start Enpass, it asks me for my fingerprint, which it successfully receives, and when Enpass should unlock, it still asks for the master password. Is this the same problem you are having? Or won't it even ask for your fingerprint/Windows Hello credentials at all?

I do believe this is only happening (since quite a while, but not forever) on one machine with an internal TPM, but USB fingerprint reader. Another machine, also with TMP 2.0 and an external fingerprint reader, unlocks just fine.

That is the problem. Credentials does not get persisted in the TPM, you are requested to type in the master key when Enpass start. Once it is started MS Hello works as expected.

In the option it is written "Master password is required every time you restart Enpass"; it should not act like that if you have a properly configured TPM. It used to work for a while, but it broke and nobody really care anymore apparently.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, AnEnpassUser said:

I'm also having this problem.  Clean install of Windows 11 on an AMD 7950x.  Worked fine on my previous PC with an Intel i7-7700k.

It's working with intel TPMs. I have an intel core m3 7th gen, which is working and and two AMD Ryzens, which are not working. I lost hope, that Enpass is ever gonna address this issue. They collect the money and that's that. Very sad to see. 

16 hours ago, Vibsi said:

It's working with intel TPMs. I have an intel core m3 7th gen, which is working and and two AMD Ryzens, which are not working. I lost hope, that Enpass is ever gonna address this issue. They collect the money and that's that. Very sad to see. 

Not sure if it is really related to AMD or Intel. Can't get it working on either platform right now; but it used to work on my Intel laptop until I reinstalled windows from scratch.

I am pretty sure that it used to work with a previous version (at least for me - I already read complain here). Either a later version of Enpass broke it, or something changed with Windows - don't know.

It never worked on my AMD, but I purchased it much later - so it never had a chance to run the code that I knew was working. Don't ask me which version it was - I have absolutely no clue; I just know it used to work.

• 2 months later...
On 8/18/2022 at 12:58 PM, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @FuN_KeY

@Abhishek Dewan any news? 6 months have passed, a few other reports echoed what was already stated (it does not work with AMD TPM). Any status is better than silence.

• 2 weeks later...

I use my desktop pc with Windows 11 operating system slo for private purposes. I have enabled windows hello for quick access to Enpass, but when I restart the pc I am always asked for the master password and the fingerprint unlock does not work and the key with the windows hello smiley does not appear either. Taking into account that I always turn off the PC after use, how can I avoid logging in with windows hello without having to enter the main password?