Enpass Discussion Forum

Legacy autofill stopped working on Pixel with Android 11

chebum

Hello,

Until about 2 weeks ago I was able to swipe from top of the screen and choose the "fill with Enpass" option. Now that option is gone. All I have is a popup next to input fields and a keyboard. Is it possible to bring Legacy autofill back?

I tried to disable and re-enable the assistance features for Enpass. This didn't help.

I tried to disable and re-enable the legacy auto-fill in the Enpass app itself. This didn't help.

I tried to uninstall and re-download the app from Play Store. Unfortunately, with no luck.

Any ideas on how to bring it back?

My phone is Google Pixel 4A. Android 11 (RQ2A.210305.006). Enpass version is 6.6.3.467.

3 hours ago, Garima Singh said:

Hey @chebum

Welcome to the forum!

Please share the website or the app name where you are having the auto-fill issue on your Android device, it will be helpful for us to check the issue.

Thank you for the reply. For example, google.com. Actually, the enpass bar in the notification area stopped appearing at all. No matter what website or app I'm using.

Previously, I was able to swipe from the top and click on Enpass bar to auto-fill my password, but now that bar is gone.

Hi

Some of the offered possibilities for autofill still work: the enpass keyboard and this blue button which is shown when you focus on a username or password field.

But the third option (enpass shows up in the notification area) is not working at all.

This is a problem for me as this was the only working solution in combination with a app called "Check Point Capsule VPN" https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.checkpoint.VPN

The third option was the only one ever working with this app.

I carefully set all these battery optimization and Start options. This setup helped me in the past, but no longer.

Maybe you can also have a closer look on this von app to improve enpass' behavior.

Device: Huawei Mate 10 lite

Enpass: 6.6.3.467

Best regards

Henning

Hey @chebum & @Henning

I would like to mention that with the latest version of Enpass (v6.6.3), the behavior of the accessibility auto-fill with notification is different. Instead of notification bar on the top of the screen, now we we have introduced a prompt to show an auto-fill dialog just like the Android auto-fill but with a cross button on the dialog prompt. Please check if you are getting the auto-fill dialog with a cross button on the VPN app.

Also, we have tested the issue with the specified VPN app and found that Enpass does auto-fill in that but when the VPN app comes in foreground, it clears the details filled by Enpass. So, I would recommend you to share this behavior with the developer of the respective app so that they can resolve this.

Thanks!

22 hours ago, Garima Singh said:

Hey @chebum & @Henning

I would like to mention that with the latest version of Enpass (v6.6.3), the behavior of the accessibility auto-fill with notification is different. Instead of notification bar on the top of the screen, now we we have introduced a prompt to show an auto-fill dialog just like the Android auto-fill but with a cross button on the dialog prompt. 

The new behavior see to be non-working on many websites. For example, PayPal.

Screenshot_20210324-105912.thumb.png.28f6858f8fe51281049270e8cff93202.png

On some websites, the autofill bar appears, but it autofills into the wrong place. User name is filled into the address bar.

Is it possible to bring older behavior back?

Hi @chebum

Sorry for the trouble you are having.

23 hours ago, chebum said:

The new behavior see to be non-working on many websites. For example, PayPal.

We have tested the issue on PayPal website and getting the prompt to auto-fill using accessibility. Please check again by disabling and enabling the Android auto-fill service and Auto-fill using Accessibility.

23 hours ago, chebum said:

On some websites, the autofill bar appears, but it autofills into the wrong place. User name is filled into the address bar.

Please share the website name on which you are getting this issue so that we can try to diagnose it again.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Garima Singh said:

We have tested the issue on PayPal website and getting the prompt to auto-fill using accessibility. Please check again by disabling and enabling the Android auto-fill service and Auto-fill using Accessibility.

I tried and it still doesn't work. It also doesn't work with some other apps like Interactive Brokers and many other apps like the VPN app reported by other user.

The problem with the current approach is that there is no way to force the auto-fill dialog to appear. Previously I was able to tap on a Enpass notification and it opened autofill dialog for me. Now, if the app doesn't detect the autofill capability, I'm stuck. With older version I had an option to force the autofill dialog to appear.

BTW, do you know if APKMirror is a safe place to download older version of the app?

7 hours ago, Garima Singh said:

Please share the website name on which you are getting this issue so that we can try to diagnose it again.

It's stripe.com. When you refund a purchase, the website asks for a password. The autofill popup appears, but if I click on it, it enters my email into the browser's address bar.

HI @chebum,

Sorry for the inconvenience you are facing because of the erratic autofill behavior (using accessibility) of Enpass after the last update.

We have diagnosed and fixed the issue where the pop-up for autofill using Accessibility is not appearing for some apps, giving the impression that autofill has stopped working. Ideally, it should have appeared at the same place where the Android Autofill dialog is coming. See how the autofill-prompt using accessibility should have looked like.

Our idea for this change in the appearance of autofill using accessibility was to streamline the behavior of autofill-prompt lessening your efforts to navigate to the top of the screen to pull notifications to autofill. Before releasing, we tested this behavior across different apps and it worked well on all of them. But now with your feedback, we're able to identify some apps where autofill using accessibility is failing. Thanks for your feedback. As I mentioned, the issue has been fixed and you will see this in any of the coming releases soon.

On 3/25/2021 at 10:44 PM, chebum said:

do you know if APKMirror is a safe place to download older version of the app?

We strongly recommend users to install Enpass only from the respective app stores as apps on Store are signed with developer certificates and delivery through it assures that software is genuine and not tempered. While installing Enpass from other websites or stores might put you in trouble of security risk like data theft.

Please bear with us.

On 3/31/2021 at 8:18 AM, Pratyush Sharma said:

As I mentioned, the issue has been fixed and you will see this in any of the coming releases soon.

Many thanks for the reply and the upcoming fix. The idea with a popup was good if it works. Keep the great work!