Enpass Discussion Forum

Enpass 5.6.6 - sporadic "unexpected error" crashes

Anthony

Since Enpass 5.6.6, I have started getting sporadic crashes. It is often when I have logged into a website, Enpass has popped up and asked me to enter my PIN to unlock and validate what I entered matched what is in Enpass.

When it occurs, Enpass generates a dialog box that says:

Unfortunately, Enpass has stopped working because of some unexpected error. Application will now terminate.

Nothing is logged in the Windows event logs.

Is there any data I can collect to provide you to assist in troubleshooting these crashes?

I am using Windows 10 x64 v16299.214, Edge browser, and Enpass 5.6.6 desktop bridge version installed from the Microsoft Store

• 1 month later...
Guest Akash Vyas

Hey @Anthony

Sorry to hear about the mess you're going through.

We did get a few messages for the same crash issue that you've are having. We're trying to reproduce this issue, but with no luck yet. It will be really very helpful for us if you can share any exact flow that leads to this crash more often so that we can follow that with defined settings.

Thanks for your co-operation.  

On 2018/4/9 at 8:45 PM, Akash Vyas said:

Hey @Anthony

We did get a few messages for the same crash issue that you've are having. We're trying to reproduce this issue, but with no luck yet. It will be really very helpful for us if you can share any exact flow that leads to this crash more often so that we can follow that with defined settings.

Hello @Akash Vyas 

Here is my story. I got some Chrome extensions and one of them will open a specific website and login automatically to check-in. Somehow this action triggered the Enpass then caused the crash every time.  

This is the link of the extension, https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/京价保-京东价保助手/gfgkebiommjpiaomalcbfefimhhanlfd

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:45 PM, Akash Vyas said:

Hey @Anthony

Unfortunately, it is completely random. I have not yet identified any repeatable or consistent behaviour to trigger the crash.

Just for awareness, my system is in the Release Preview ring and is now Windows 10 v1803 (OS Build 17134.1) with Microsoft Edge 42.17134.1.0

Does Enpass generate any logs, or is there debug logging I can leave enabled for next time it happens? If not, can you produce an instrumented version?

Edited by Anthony

• 1 month later...

I keep getting this error as well- and often! I am using Enpass version 5.6.17 (5428) on Windows 10. Did anyone find a fix for this? I have attached the error I keep receiving this error while running Enpass. Users and developers of Enpass, please advise. Thanks.

2018-06-01 22_19_31-Window.png

I'm facing the same issue, I hope this bug will be fixed. From my personal view Enpass is really the best password manager and it absolutely fits my needs, but this bug is very annoying, especially when you left locked pc, came back and see dozen of error dialogs.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Ihor

5 hours ago, Ihor said:

I'm facing the same issue, I hope this bug will be fixed. From my personal view Enpass is really the best password manager and it absolutely fits my needs, but this bug is very annoying, especially when you left locked pc, came back and see dozen of error dialogs.

Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately, Enpass does not seem to really care about their users and it's frustrating. It has been several days now since I added to this thread and reported the same issue and no one has replied yet. It sucks.

4 hours ago, Kamute said:

Unfortunately, Enpass does not seem to really care about their users and it's frustrating. It has been several days now since I added to this thread and reported the same issue and no one has replied yet. It sucks.

Have patience. Development and testing takes time. 

Im am also facing the same issue. In my case i found a solution.

I disabled the "extension for MS Edge" in the settings of the Edge Browser and Enpass is running without crashing with Firefox and Chrome extensions. 

I know this is not an option for all users but it is worth to try. 

Following Danwal82's suggestion, I disabled the Enpass Edge Extension and the Enpass application has stopped crashing on me (so far).  I've now re-enabled the Enpass Edge Extension, and so far the Enpass application is not crashing with the Edge Extension active.

OK, the Enpass application started crashing within ~30 minutes of re-activating the Edge Extension, perhaps sooner since I was not actively checking it during all 30 minutes for error messages. Restarting the Enpass application after a crash, it immediately crashes again.

I disabled the Edge Extension again.  Now the Enpass application has again stopped all crashing behavior.

So this could be helpful for developers i think. Maybe some users can check and confirm. But i am sure the problem is caused by  the Edge-Extension. I checked on two other computers and could reproduce this issue on both. Crashing with activated Edge-Extension and stable running without the Extension.

I am running Win10 1803 and Enpass 5.6.147 (5428) Windows App.  I was getting the error message in under a minute of launching the app.  Disabling the Edge Extension stopped the errors.  I enabled the extension again, and so far so good.  We'll see if it returns.

Edited by bjbeier