Enpass Discussion Forum

WiFi-sync with different networks?

Roobert

First, here's my HOORAY for Wifi-Sync (at last)! Works like a charm.

My question: I have two residences in different cities, of course with different WiFi-networks. Can I set up WiFi-syncing in a way that it syncs in the other network, too? I ask because I do not want to just try, to not mix anything up.

Thank you for an answer.

Btw, I  promote Enpass a lot, esp. because of the new feature. it would help, if you would update your website, resp. provide documentation for Wifi-Sync.

Best regards
Robert

• Like 1

You start the wifi sync server on one of your devices and that will allow you to sync any of your other devices on the same network. It will work on any WiFi network that allows access on the specified local IP address and port. What does this mean? You can use WiFi sync on any of your WiFi networks so long as any of the devices to be synched are connected to the same local network. You would not be able to connect to the WiFi sync server from a remote device.

If you are looking to remotely sync devices on a different WiFi network, you'll probably need to set up a VPN on the network where the sync server is running and then connect your remote devices to be synched to the VPN you set up. If done properly, you should be able to connect to the local WiFi sync server from your remote devices. Once you are done synching, you can disconnect from the VPN. I have not personally tested this with Enpass, but I use a VPN to my home network to connect to a variety of services remotely and it works fine, so I don't think this would be an issue.

• Like 1

Thank you. I think I do not need to access a remote network, because when going from residence A to B, I have my most recent vault on my iPhone anyway. Once there, I would (for the first time) set up the sync-server within the local network in B. Then sync the iPhone to my devices in residence B. When I get back to A, I change the sync-server on the iPhone back to the network in A.
Did I understand you correctly?

One more question: At the moment the vault on my iMac in residence B is old. Imported weeks ago from a backup from my (main) iMac in residence A. I only used the vault on the iMac in B as an „island”, never synced via WebDAV. Now my concern is this: When I sync my iPhone vault it via WiFI with the old one on iMac in B for the first time, can I be sure that the recent vault of my iPhone will be on the iMac? I would not want the old vault to be on the iPhone afterwards ...

7 hours ago, Roobert said:

Did I understand you correctly?

Yes. That should work fine. 

7 hours ago, Roobert said:

When I sync my iPhone vault it via WiFI with the old one on iMac in B for the first time, can I be sure that the recent vault of my iPhone will be on the iMac?

The syncing appears to compare the age of items and won’t copy older stuff over newer. 

Just to be safe, you should run a backup of the newest vault. This way if something goes wrong for some reason, you can revert. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello Discordant,

I am now at our other location („B”) and I can gladly report, that syncing my iPhone with the newly set up WiFi-Server here worked fine.

I will now write a feature request to the Enpass team: It would be great ...
- if I could save more than one WiFi-servers on my mobile. So I would not need to change the server on my mobile when I am at another WiFi,
- if the mobile would then sync to whatever approved WiFi-server it is connected with.

It paid to wait for the long ago promised WiFi-sync. ;-)

Edited by Roobert
  • Like 2