Enpass Discussion Forum

Moving Primary vault to USB portable flash drive

DavidB

Hi, I have after a few false starts got Enpass running on my ubuntu desktop.. works ok, but I would like to move the primary vault which I figure lives somewhere on the PC to my newly installed Portable Flash Drive version.. I like the idea of the added security of being able to take my vault and its contents on my key ring rather than to have this information residing on my PC Hard Drive.

Also wonder if the vault is on the USB drive, do I still need to retain the desktop firefox install? Appreciate any advice, this is all new to me.
  • Like 1

I don't quite get the question, but if you use the portable edition, you don't have to have any desktop apps installed, but if you want the autofill functionality in Firefox, the same plug in is needed as with the desktop versions of Enpass. 

To switch from desktop to portable versions, you're recommended to either start a new vault in the portable app and sync the items down from your cloud provider (if you used sync), or you make a backup from the desktop app and restore it during launch of the portable version. 

• Like 4

Thanks so much Ivarson, I had the idea that I needed to have both the desktop version on the computer as well as using the portable one to autofill forms..You cleared that up nicely.

I have deleted the desktop version of Enpass , ( but kept the Firefox  extension to be able to autofill ) but even after having deleted the desktop program, each time I use the portable version, it asks me to restore ( I expect it still has some residual bits left hidden in Firefox) .. Any ideas on just how I can purge them and just rely totally on the portable version without the old desktop version interfering.

6 hours ago, DavidB said:

Thanks so much Ivarson, I had the idea that I needed to have both the desktop version on the computer as well as using the portable one to autofill forms..You cleared that up nicely.

I have deleted the desktop version of Enpass , ( but kept the Firefox  extension to be able to autofill ) but even after having deleted the desktop program, each time I use the portable version, it asks me to restore ( I expect it still has some residual bits left hidden in Firefox) .. Any ideas on just how I can purge them and just rely totally on the portable version without the old desktop version interfering.

The browser plug-ins just tries to connect to a certain port on your pc that it knows Enpass would listen to, be it the portable or the desktop version. 

The portable Enpass in turn does not look in the same directories for databases as the desktop version, so yes you have to to do a restore or start over fresh. 

If you had Enpass installed from Microsoft Store, the vaults and configs will be removed along with the app being deleted. 

If you had it installed using the EXE (downloaded from their website) the vaults are still there after uninstall, but again not looked at by the portable version. 

• Like 1