Enpass Discussion Forum

Status of Apple M1 native version?

Melvin

Hello all,

In this forum post, I would like to share an update from our development team regarding Enpass M1 Native Support.

As is known, Enpass uses the Qt framework for its UI and is currently running on Qt 5.x. To support M1, Enpass needs to be updated to Qt 6.2, and unfortunately, the actual time required to complete this migration has taken longer than expected.

Furthermore, a few modules have been dropped in this major release of Qt, as well as some features are still not working. Hence, there are some pending upstream issues that need to be resolved. Having said that, the updated release timeline for Enpass M1 Native Support is now Q2 of 2022.

The Enpass team is always thankful for such loyal and active users. In the meantime, we look forward to your continued support and patience.

Thank You.

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Finally, a word from developers. Thank you for the information.

We hope it won't delay. For me and, I suppouse that for a lot of people, Enpass is the MOST important tool in our computers/mobile devices. It is a great tool and, in my case, I wouldn't like to have to change to other software.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Manish Chokwal said:

Hi @Chunjie Ma,

Welcome to the Enpass Community Forums.

Support for native M1 is already on our roadmap. We do not yet have an ETA, but I will let you know as soon as it is available. In the meantime, We highly appreciate your patience with us. 

Thank you very much for your reply. Looking forward to the new version coming soon.

• Like 1

So, seeing as your response has changed from “Q2 2022” to “no ETA” in the span of 4 months, and there’s no M1 native version being tested in TestFlight even though we’re halfway through Q2, is it safe to assume that the M1 native version isn’t coming anytime soon? 

I’m about ready to jump ship over this issue. Enpass is literally the only app I use regularly that hasn’t transitioned yet, and it’s completely unacceptable. It has been nearly 2 years since the Apple Silicon transition was announced, and 18 months since these machines have been available to consumers. What’s taking so long? 

• Like 3

While we understand your concern @dahliamma, Enpass would like to assure all that our developers are working on it and the launch of Enpass native macOS app is getting delayed due to extensive migration(as mentioned above). However, we would again confirm that Enpass will be available for macOS natively very shortly. Looking forward to your support and patience.

• Sad 2

The fact that there is still no native M1 app is unprofessional.
Enpass is now only one of the few apps in the Mac infrastructure that is not silicon ready.
Time to change, your poor performance is annoying.

Apparently you don't need happy users.
Do you only employ a handful of developers?

• Like 1

I totally agree with @dahliamma and @pitchblack

It is totally unaceptable that two years later, in most cases, this is the only not native application that we are running.

You say in the recent release:

Hello everyone. We’re excited to share a big update with you. This release isn’t just about bug fixes and minor improvements. We’re celebrating the start of a whole new era for Enpass – Enpass for Business!

I CAN'T beleive that your developers have released a BIG update without native support.

The password manager perhaps is the most importan app in a computer (at least in my case). Is this a reliable company to trust my most precious data?

I'm not sure.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Korvenwin said:

Is this a reliable company to trust my most precious data?

This really is the core of the issue for me. Running through Rosetta hasn't had an impact on performance, and I haven't noticed a hit to battery. In a vacuum, this wouldn't be a problem, I knew what I signed up for when I got a first generation product. 

But this is a password manager. It's one of the few applications where fast, timely updates are very important. If there's an exploit in the future, should we just expect our data to be exposed for 2+ years while you guys wrangle your code gremlins? 

I've worked with Qt before, and quite frankly, I would be mortified if it took me 10 months (since Qt 6.2 was released) to integrate upstream changes. I can't imagine looking my boss in the eye and telling him that the reason something this fundamental is taking so long is because of some deprecations.

Qt is a UI framework, it really shouldn't be taking this long to handle a few deprecations. I don't buy the excuse that it's truly taking this long to update your UI, and I don't even want to imagine what hell-spawn spaghetti code you're working with where some deprecations in a UI framework requires a total rework of your codebase. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

First of all: thanks to the Enpass team. On my Mac M1 everything is working fine. I still have >20% of all applications which are not apple silicon native. Does it matter? No. Does it mean that I cannot trust these companies? No. Why should it. 

I am happy when the native version arrives but for me it is more important that the application is working without problems.

Of course your opinion is totally respectable.

Mine is that the problem is not an Apple Silicon compatible app.

I think the problem is that a critical app like a password manager needs a much more agile developer.

What would happen if there was a security problem? Are you ok with months or years to solve it?

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 9:30 PM, dahliamma said:

This really is the core of the issue for me. Running through Rosetta hasn't had an impact on performance, and I haven't noticed a hit to battery. In a vacuum, this wouldn't be a problem, I knew what I signed up for when I got a first generation product. 

But this is a password manager. It's one of the few applications where fast, timely updates are very important. If there's an exploit in the future, should we just expect our data to be exposed for 2+ years while you guys wrangle your code gremlins? 

I've worked with Qt before, and quite frankly, I would be mortified if it took me 10 months (since Qt 6.2 was released) to integrate upstream changes. I can't imagine looking my boss in the eye and telling him that the reason something this fundamental is taking so long is because of some deprecations.

Qt is a UI framework, it really shouldn't be taking this long to handle a few deprecations. I don't buy the excuse that it's truly taking this long to update your UI, and I don't even want to imagine what hell-spawn spaghetti code you're working with where some deprecations in a UI framework requires a total rework of your codebase. 

I wish support would address the this. There are valid points that are really concerning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I just tried to install version 6.8.2 to my new MacBook Pro (16", 2021, OS 12.4).
The result: macOS is asking me to install Rosetta...

I thougt:
1. my Mac is ARM
2. 6.8.2 is now native ARM
3. I don't need Rosetta

What am I doing/thinking wrong here?

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-04 um 17.40.27.png

It could be that the installer needs Rosetta. Here the installed Enpass shows the  "Open with Rosetta" option, while the previous version did not show that option. It seems that the software itself is Silicon native.

Edited by fermati

4 hours ago, hofpad said:

Hi, I just tried to install version 6.8.2 to my new MacBook Pro (16", 2021, OS 12.4).
The result: macOS is asking me to install Rosetta...

I thougt:
1. my Mac is ARM
2. 6.8.2 is now native ARM
3. I don't need Rosetta

What am I doing/thinking wrong here?

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-04 um 17.40.27.png

Did you try installing from the App Store?