Enpass Discussion Forum

'CMD /' shortcut no longer works on the Mac with the new Enpass update

Since installing the new Enpass extension on the Mac (in Brave and Edge browsers) the old familiar fill password shortcut of 'CMD /' no longer works and instead this launches the extension page. In the browser shortcuts settings you can also not set 'CMD /' as a shortcut to use.

This is driving me insane. Now I have to clock on Enpass to get the password data to be filled in. Is there any way to change it to how it used to be?

• Like 1

Same issue here, I had bound ctrl+space to the plugin in Firefox, but this now takes me to the extension page instead.
If I add the shortcut again, it opens the auto-fill menu AND takes me to the extension page.

This is something that really should have been caught in testing or QA

Windows 11, Firefox 94

• Like 1

Hi @All,

We would like to inform you that with this new Enpass version and Extension, our users can decide their own shortcut key with respective of the browsers they are using (No need to depend on a default shortcut key).
Now it can be done by 2 ways, first via extension settings or secondly via clicking in the inline menu 3 dots section. For more information refer to this user manual.

Browser Extension settings

image.png.601b86f0b4ef1602ba4f83f62fc903f0.png

Inline Menu Settings

image.png.d9eb566a754b21bdf485cc366aa4254f.png

2 minutes ago, dbrewood said:

Fully understood but you try setting it to '⌘ /' you'll find it is not allowed. If I press ⌘ I then get red text underneath which says 'press a letter', / is not allowed as a choice.

⌘ = command

I second this. I want to be able to select the "/" character to make the Shortcut Ctrl+/. Thanks.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gulshan Dogra said:

Hi @All,

We would like to inform you that with this new Enpass version and Extension, our users can decide their own shortcut key with respective of the browsers they are using (No need to depend on a default shortcut key).
Now it can be done by 2 ways, first via extension settings or secondly via clicking in the inline menu 3 dots section. For more information refer to this user manual.

Inline Menu Settings

Don't try to position this like it's a feature anyone actually wanted. Fix it.

Everyone and there mother has been using Command + Backslash since 1Password days. Now we can't in Chrome with zero notice.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gulshan Dogra said:

Hi @All,

Inline Menu Settings

I don't see the options, my chrome extension and app are all updated to latest.

403034383_enpassshortcut.thumb.png.94457985ad7fff59fe2a20194fdc335b.png

What's wrong with your design and testing.

It's driving me crazy, please fix it.

I just downgraded with a backup from yesterday. You need to disable auto updates of the enpass extension for that.

And so I figured out, you can simply download the old version from enpass.io: https://dl.enpass.io/stable/extensions/firefox/versions/v6.6.2-9/enpass-firefox-6.6.2.xpi

You need to put that file with the following name in the firefox profile folder:

Profiles/xxxx.default-release/extensions/firefox-enpass@enpass.io.xpi <= xxxx is some other random name

On macos with Firefox you find that folder here: /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/

Edited by flp
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, flp said:

I just downgraded with a backup from yesterday. You need to disable auto updates of the enpass extension for that.

And so I figured out, you can simply download the old version from enpass.io: https://dl.enpass.io/stable/extensions/firefox/versions/v6.6.2-9/enpass-firefox-6.6.2.xpi

You need to put that file with the following name in the firefox profile folder:

Profiles/xxxx.default-release/extensions/firefox-enpass@enpass.io.xpi <= xxxx is some other random name

On macos with Firefox you find that folder here: /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/

No option of that for those of us using a Chromium based browser alas. It needs fixing!

While this definitely sucks, it seems to be a browser-based change rather than an Enpass issue. None of my other extensions will allow me to set the

CMD + /

shortcut for them either - it seems like the browser only allows certain key combos for shortcuts. It claims specifically to want a letter; however I have found that a period and several other non-letter keys will work.

Hmmm no it's Enpass using a different way of implementing the shortcut. The limitation for keyboard shortcuts seems to be in Brave, Chrome, Edge so it's the way the extension has ben changed that causes the issue. The shortcut setting was set in the extension itself now it's set in the browser.

42 minutes ago, dbrewood said:

No option of that for those of us using a Chromium based browser alas. It needs fixing!

sure, you need to adapt that information to a Chrome, but it basically works the same. You need to search for the Chromium profile folder and adapt the uri to chrome extensions, but it should be doable

9 hours ago, Gulshan Dogra said:

Hi @All,

Inline Menu Settings

This set of instructions not only does *NOT* allow users to decide their own shortcut key, it gives users an error that the hotkey they decided is an invalid combination. You have stated a falsehood.

Moreover, this response does not address what you were asked. You were asked how to use the short cut we *HAVE* chosen: "Ctrl+/" which some of us have been using since beta. What you offered is a way to set the shortcut. Such a way to set the shortcut previously existed and none of us changed.

Now then, please answer the question that was put to you. How do I restore the ability to use Ctrl+/ to autofill an authentication form?

Edited by sledge
typo

Beginning today, when I use the only keyboard shortcut/hotkey combination I have ever used with enpass, it opens the browser extension settings rather than opening the enpass assistant. This appears to be widespread but the change doesn't seem to like it was announced on the blog or in the forum until after the fact. Therefore, it is a bug that was not intended.
This hotkey shortcut is a long established muscle memory and the change is hindering my productivity. It is also making me angry at the frustration over the capricious change from one long established, albeit arbitrary, combination to another arbitrary hotkey. This changed was ill-considered, poorly documented, secretly rolled out.

If there is a way to use Ctrl+/ the same as I did from the moment I first installed enpass until now, I would like to know. How do I restore the ability to use Ctrl+/ to autofill an authentication form?

2 hours ago, adjoseph16 said:

While this definitely sucks, it seems to be a browser-based change rather than an Enpass issue. None of my other extensions will allow me to set the

CMD + /

shortcut for them either - it seems like the browser only allows certain key combos for shortcuts. It claims specifically to want a letter; however I have found that a period and several other non-letter keys will work.

I can't tell if it's browser or enpass extension issue, but I've been using ctrl + \ since the first day, now I can't set that after browser extension update.

It's always driven me crazy that it wasn't possible to set your own shortcut, but now that I'm used to ⌘+/, the fact that I now can set my own, but I can't set it to the keystroke I want is worse than before.

Ultimately, I can get used to a new keyboard shortcut, and Enpass is hardly the first software developer to change key shorties that are so engrained they've become muscle-memory for users. In recent years, Apple has changed the shortcut for creating an alias, and Microsoft has changed several shortcuts in Office products, and in some cases flat-out removed keyboard shortcuts.

But this rollout was very poorly handled. It's bad enough that a tab announcing the update was spontaneously and confusingly generated and foregrounded, even if you're in the middle of, say, watching a YouTube video (happened to me today), but it's worse that this spontaneous tab is sorely lacking in the kind of information users actually need for an update like this:

1) The animation shows Enpass being integrated into user/pass fields, implying that's the major change to the new extension, but that's not the default behavior — or at least, I'm not seeing that on any of my browsers (which is just fine with me because I hate extensions that alter page content).

2) The "Set Enpass as default password manager" checkbox has no explanation, and no instructions for setting it later if the user choses to not set it in that spontaneous Enpass tab (I, for one, can't figure that out). Is this what turns on the Enpass icon in the user/pass fields? If so, why is this not explained in any way?

3) The fact that the keyboard shortcut has changed is not mentioned at all, leading many people (the vast majority of whom aren't part of this forum) to lose functionality and not know how to get it back.

4) The fact that users can now set their own keyboard shortcut is not mentioned either.

5) Nor is it mentioned that users cannot set choose as their keyboard shortcut the same shortcut they've grown used to.

• Nor is it explained why that's the case.

6) It's not explained at all that Activate the Extension and Autofill are now separate keyboard shortcuts (which, BTW, makes Enpass a lot less convenient, but hopefully it will also fix the frequent problem of Autofill just not working at all).

7) It's also not explained that there suddenly is no default keystroke for Autofill, meaning if you're like me, you have to go set your own keystroke in dozens of browser profiles and browsers if you want Autofill to work.

NONE of this information was provided to users.

I'm friends-and-family tech support for lots of older users, many of whom have a tenuous understanding of computers in general, but I've gotten them all to use Enpass for their passwords. I've been fielding endless questions in the last couple days because of how badly botched this roll-out has been. If even I'm confused — a UI/UX/QA professional — you've done something wrong.

Even worse, I've just discovered that while the extension has been updated to remove ⌘+/ as the default activation keystroke, the Enpass app's own Preferences still say this is the default keystroke:

552800661_ScreenShot2021-11-18at22_22_26.png.c30e36d6683f6da00f8459b38a02f9e2.png

And I keep editing this post as I find further problems and confusion:

• In Safari, Enpass still defaults to ⌘+/ for both Autofill and activating the extension, so now users have to memorize different keystrokes for a) activate/autofill in Safari, plus b) activate in other browsers, and c) autofill in other browsers — this is also not explained in the spontaneous extension-update tab.

Edited by 100 Watt Walrus
  • Sad 1

I would like to add, that using the combination CTRL + Q is also not possible to use.

Whenever you use that combination it will open up the browser extension's setting page. This goes for both Chrome and Firefox.

On a sidenote: Did anyone figure out how the function is supposed to work? Even if I set it to some ungodly hotkey combination, all it will do is open the pop-up for Enpass. Even if there is exactly one entry available. If I activate the "Auto-fill" feature, it works and fills out the fields if only one entry is available; at least for the logins I've tested.

• Like 1