Enpass Discussion Forum

'CMD /' shortcut no longer works on the Mac with the new Enpass update

47 minutes ago, dtjm said:

Can we just have Enpass acknowledge this is a bug and let us know when it will be fixed? Thanks.

This isn't a bug, though. As mentioned above, by allowing users to choose their own keyboard shortcuts (which I very much appreciate), Enpass can no longer have CMD+/ as an option — at least in Chromium-based browsers, where it's not possible to use CMD+/ as the keystroke for any extension.

As Mac users (I'm assuming), we've been forced to adapt to CMD+CTRL+A for aliases after decades of CMD+L, and we're getting used to SPACE replacing CMD+DEL for "Revert Changes," which in turn replaced the infinitely more user-friendly, self-explanatory CMD+D for "Don't Save," that worked perfectly well for over 35 years.

At least with this change, we can choose our own keystrokes to replace the one we've been used to.

To me, anyway, the problem here isn't the keyboard shortcut change, it's the fact that this change (among others) was not even mentioned in the information about this update to the extension. Being this clumsy with the roll-out a major change to functionality like this is a great way to lose customers.

Hello Enpass Users,

Thank you for sharing all the feedback and user experience here, we appreciate your efforts.

Enpass would like to share that it is not a bug but a feature enhancement in the new Enpass 6.7.4 and Extension 6.7.0.

We understand there'll be a little inconvenience in setting new shortcuts and getting accustomed to them, but for a better autofill experience using keyboard shortcuts, Enpass extension lets the browser control the keyboard shortcuts natively. It also makes sure our extensions work seamlessly in long term with the respective browsers and don't interfere with their default shortcuts.

Keeping in mind, the best in the interest of our beloved loyal users, we decided to go with this change.

It’s still not a good idea bringing these ‘features’ to us without any prior notification. Plus for us Mac users using both chromium browsers and Safari the new shortcut you are forcing us to use needs implementing on Safari as well. 

Edited by dbrewood
Correct post
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gulshan Dogra said:

We understand there'll be a little inconvenience in setting new shortcuts and getting accustomed to them, but for a better autofill experience using keyboard shortcuts, Enpass extension lets the browser control the keyboard shortcuts natively.

I mean, it's obviously still detecting the keybindings we had set. I changed the default ctrl+/ to ctrl+\. When hitting ctrl+\ it takes me to the browsers binding page, which if it accepted symbols instead of purely letters plus a modifier this change wouldn't matter much. But it doesn't.

So given Enpass still seems to be intercepting the keybinds, is it actually terribly difficult to just give us an options to not use this new browser controlled limited function keybind system till it has feature parity with Enpass's keybind feature? This change is just so annoying and shortsided for the sake of prettify some situations enpass can be used it, but ultimately it's slowing a lot of people down.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gulshan Dogra said:

Hello Enpass Users,

Thank you for sharing all the feedback and user experience here, we appreciate your efforts.

Enpass would like to share that it is not a bug but a feature enhancement in the new Enpass 6.7.4 and Extension 6.7.0.

We understand there'll be a little inconvenience in setting new shortcuts and getting accustomed to them, but for a better autofill experience using keyboard shortcuts, Enpass extension lets the browser control the keyboard shortcuts natively. It also makes sure our extensions work seamlessly in long term with the respective browsers and don't interfere with their default shortcuts.

Keeping in mind, the best in the interest of our beloved loyal users, we decided to go with this change.

What a completely tone deaf response to user frustration. This kind of response to legitimate user concerns is why I switched from 1Password in the first place.

Looks like it's time to switch to another app again.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Gulshan Dogra said:

If Enpass understands this, why was it not explained to users when the change was made? Why are users left to discover this on their own when their muscle-memory keyboard shortcut no longer works? And it can't be a "better autofill experience" if it doesn't work the same across all browsers.

The improvement I'd prefer to see is for the autofill to work more reliably. At least 1/3 of the time, it doesn't work at all, even on sites it did work on moments before.

Edited by 100 Watt Walrus
  • Like 1

They don't even realize how stupid it is saying having the browser manage the keyboard shortcut natively is the better way to go moving forward into the future. Following that logic, the "better way" to go for password management would be using the NATIVE BUILT-IN PASSWORD MANAGEMENT of browsers itself and NOT Enpass! Such a stupid, short-sighted statement. 

I couldn't possibly give less of a shit about integrating with native browser functions of any ONE browser since I use Enpass across 4 browsers over 3 different operating systems.

Edited by jeetdoh
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Gulshan Dogra said:

Hello Enpass Users,

The problem is simple: I used to be able to set my shortcut as "ctrl+\". Now the browser control keyboard shortcuts natively and I can no longer do that, see my screenshot:
enpassshortcut.jpg.f12c95de9a1e166dab414ac4badb451e.jpg

This is NOT "a better autofill experience", it's a BUG.

• Like 1

So i think it’s lot of noise for not that much change

Command + / still works in Mac Safari

For Firefox and Chrome - I changed to Command + .   Almost the same

Also with autofill not happening at the text field itself, there is really no need to use the command shortcut as i can simply use the drop down key to select my account. I LOVE the changes. I think most people are having issues because they  may have disabled the autofill icon in text fields. If you do that, the keyboard shortcut isn’t really needed. 

My only concern is

1. I am unable to set default password manager on macOS Safari which means the keychain username/password overlaps with Enpass. I don’t want to disable autofill username/password on Safari Mac as I use it on iPhone as well

2. Any update on Enpass launching a safari iOS extension to help with similar auotfilling and saving of new passwords?

Thanks

I found a workaround for Chrome users. Finding the 6.6.2 extension is the frustrating part. Crx4chrome was linked from a few stackoverflow answers as a source for archived crx files and has 6.6.2, but use it at your own risk. I had a laptop that hadn't updated yet, so simply copied the extension from there and would recommend that if you can.

Once you have a crx file or a folder from a different computer, you just remove the installed extension, install the downloaded one, then follow the steps here to prevent it from auto-updating when chrome checks for updates https://stackoverflow.com/a/62810238

I also do not like that I cannot choose CMD+# (german version of CMD+/).

I use now BetterTouchTool (https://folivora.ai/, payed app) to restore the old behavior. I configure a trigger in BTT to map CMD+# to CMD+.   .
But it is really sad, I have to do so.

Besides, I found another related issue. If I choose in Chrome type "Global" for the shortcut, this then breaks the behavior in other browsers. If I trigger the shortcut in Chrome the native Enpass popup shows accounts for the current website. This is expected. But if I trigger the shortcut in Safari or Firefox the native Enpass popup shows all accounts, not only the ones relevant for the actual site. This is not expected, or very confusing.

However, if I set the option in Chrome from Global back to Chrome, then this issue is not present.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-20 um 11.10.23.png

Edited by passi

11 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

I assume you're not aware that this exact wording is considered to be the most disrespectful dismissal of user concern. It's so tone-deaf, it's literally a meme.

That meme does not apply here.  Saying "it's not a bug, it's a feature" is when software developers UNINTENTIONALLY create a error in the software, and try to pass it off as a new feature.  In this case, they very much intended to make the change.  They provided an explanation as to why they implemented that change; specifically to give the users the ability to define there own shortcuts, and to not interfere with browser/extension shortcuts.  (Both of which seem very reasonable to me.)

Seriously, folks.  Let's reserve the woke comments like "tone deaf" for serious issues like social injustice, and not browser extensions.

8 hours ago, dbrewood said:

You may love it as you are mouse centric, tho use of us who hate pop ups and want to use the keyboard are not so happy.

I am not using mouse. If you use the keyboard, a simple down arrow key on the text field and you can choose your account.  Much faster than using the shortcut key 

3 hours ago, dbrewood said:

Respectfully if it doesn’t bother you then don’t post in this thread it bothers a lot of us.

I could live with it if we could use the same shortcut across chromium browsers and Safari.

I just changed it to command +.  Across all browsers including chrome, Firefox and safari on Mac

So, I left 1Password because of the BS that came with new "features", do I have to leave Enpass in my rearview too ?

That's what I've honestly been wondering after reading the "it's not a bug, but a feature" reply.

The intent behind the "feature" is nice and all, I can salute the initiative, the problem is three-fold in my case:

1. As a result of the ability to customize my keybind across my multiple browsers/operating systems, I now cannot have my preferred keybind o.O
  2. Said preferred keybind can still trigger the configuration window where I can't set my keybind because of said improvement O.o
  3. No reply from the developer other than on this forum and the answer is "nope, sorry, not going to happen" when clearly the wrong solution has been used to remedy an issue, therefore creating new issues. At least an acknowledgment that this should be "investigated", "looked into" or simply discussed, I would have understood that. But just a plain "nope" was kind of reminiscent of AgileBit's way of not caring about what many customers may want vs what they thought we wanted.

This, coupled with another issue I read in the forum, which is a bug I've had for months now, about the double click not working on the first attempt in the browser Extension, has led me to look for another password manager, again, such a shame.

Edit: I almost forgot:

4 hours ago, John Doe said:

I just changed it to command +.  Across all browsers including chrome, Firefox and safari on Mac

So, you managed to bind Command with another key ? That's funny because any combination involving Command is invalid on my Macs. :ph34r:

Edited by kovalsky
  • Like 2